Multiple LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90watt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools want 2 LOR's from professors and some just want 1 LOR. Is it OK if I just send 2 LOR's to the schools that just want 1?

Just doing that to prepare for worst case scenarios. Ie such as miscommunication, professor forgets something, lost in mail, dog ate it, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's expensive.

I would just send the letters, if the schools are missing something, they'll tell you.

Oh I agree it is expensive, it is 40 to join and about 6. Per school delivery. I applied to all none, I figured i just did not want to ask for 9 separate envelopes.

That's expensive.

I would just send the letters, if the schools are missing something, they'll tell you.

Any advice about how I would go about sending out multiple letters to each school without getting them lost?

I thought it was 20$ to sign up and 6 $ per school (regardless of how many LORs you send to the individual school). If you have it sent electronically, they would get it on the same day. I only have mine sent to 3 schools only (the first 3 schools i interview with). If none of them accepts me, have mine send to the other school before I interview with them. :thumbup:

I sent my letters 3 times to NYCPM by snail mail and they didn't get it on any try. In the end I just handed them in at the interview and they were ok with it. I would suggest if you use snail mail call up the schools to check up on the progress.

Any advice about how I would go about sending out multiple letters to each school without getting them lost?

Ask your professors to hand you the letter in a sealed envelop [have them sign over the seal, if you/them are extra paranoid] then get a large envelop, chug them in, and send to each school on its merry way.

I sent 5 lors to all the schools and got interviews at all of them. I recommend using interfolio, I had zero problems.

I provided my professors with a list of schools I was applying to, and then I provide them with pre-addressed and stamped envelopes for them to put their LOR in. I didn't have any problems. (Well I sorta did, but that's because one of my profs parent died, and so she took awhile to do it, but whatever). I don't know what time tables are looking like at most schools, but I imagine they are all still heavily filling their classes, so unless you want to be ABSOLUTELY certain they get the LORs right away, you've got some time to save money. Obviously if money is no object, use interfolio because it is easy to manage, but if you want to save fifty bucks and just spend money on stamps, and waiting a bit longer, I'd just snail mail them..

I provided my professors with a list of schools I was applying to, and then I provide them with pre-addressed and stamped envelopes for them to put their LOR in. I didn't have any problems. (Well I sorta did, but that's because one of my profs parent died, and so she took awhile to do it, but whatever). I don't know what time tables are looking like at most schools, but I imagine they are all still heavily filling their classes, so unless you want to be ABSOLUTELY certain they get the LORs right away, you've got some time to save money. Obviously if money is no object, use interfolio because it is easy to manage, but if you want to save fifty bucks and just spend money on stamps, and waiting a bit longer, I'd just snail mail them..

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to stick to the snail mail.
I am applying at the end of February, after the January MCAT scores are released.