Multiple MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burke99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this website so pardon me if you have answered or seen this question a million times. I really could use the help. I have tried to contact several admission schools and just keep getting the run around. They tell me the director of admissions will call u back and he never does. Since I work 70 hours a week I cannot keep calling these people and they never respond to emails. I was wondering if anybody knows what middle level medical schools with average mcat scores around 30 take the highest total from each section and make one MCAT score. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am truly at wits end! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Check school's websites. Look for admissions requirements and find the section of that which deals with the mcat. They will usually explain their mcat policy.

burke99 said:
Hello everyone I am new to this website so pardon me if you have answered or seen this question a million times. I really could use the help. I have tried to contact several admission schools and just keep getting the run around. They tell me the director of admissions will call u back and he never does. Since I work 70 hours a week I cannot keep calling these people and they never respond to emails. I was wondering if anybody knows what middle level medical schools with average mcat scores around 30 take the highest total from each section and make one MCAT score. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am truly at wits end! Thank you in advance!

This really depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Tufts does, and I'm pretty sure GW does too.

Sartre79 said:
Does what?

Takes the highest score from each section of the MCAT to get your total MCAT score.

Some schools average all your MCAT scores (like Jefferson); other schools only take your last MCAT into consideration; still other schools give the greatest weight to your most recent MCAT but take into consideration your past MCATs... etc. So, this thread merely talks about what schools take the highest score of each section to get the composite score.

burke99 said:

Most do NOT do this. There might be one or two exceptions, but for the most part, schools will do one of three things.

1. average the scores together
2. take the highest score
3. take the most recent score

You kno after you graduate and you're doing a three part surgery, they don't let you do it three times taking the best results of each try.

Tufts, GW, and MCW. I called about 40 schools. BTW, there should be no reason to speak with the director or anything, it should be something the school tells applicants anyway, and the staff should in theory know the school's policy. I never had to wait to speak to anybody other than the person who answered the phone.

I believe U of Utah does the Best Of thing as well. I guess it's one way to raise what you claim is the MCAT of your incoming class.

So if you're dead set on a school that does this, take the MCAT three times, each time focusing on one section and voila!

I think Loma Linda does your best composite score.

Do any schools just take an average of all of your MCAT scores?

nozzie said:
Do any schools just take an average of all of your MCAT scores?

yes... jefferson, etc... But the most common way they do this is to take your most recent/highest... averaging and pulling your best sections together are both exceptions, your most recent/highest tends to be the rule

Pinkertinkle said:
You kno after you graduate and you're doing a three part surgery, they don't let you do it three times taking the best results of each try.

They sure don't. But "they" make you do surgery for at least five years under the close supervision of attending surgeons. Then a few more years of surgery (depending on your chosen specialty) under, you guessed it, the very close supervision of attending surgeons. So when it's all said and done you will have done about 7-13 years of surgery with a well seasoned surgeon standing over you monitoring your every move making sure you don't screw anything up. At that point you are free to go out on your own and operate away. So what exactly is your point PINKERTINKLE?? Are you implying that surgical residents haven't made three mistakes, or had those mistakes corrected by the attending before they were made, in their five years of residency and during the fellowships that followed?? Maybe you should think a little before you start talking out of your a$$ and trying to make people feel bad for having taken the MCAT more than once.

breck said:
They sure don't. But "they" make you do surgery for at least five years under the close supervision of attending surgeons. Then a few more years of surgery (depending on your chosen specialty) under, you guessed it, the very close supervision of attending surgeons. So when it's all said and done you will have done about 7-13 years of surgery with a well seasoned surgeon standing over you monitoring your every move making sure you don't screw anything up. At that point you are free to go out on your own and operate away. So what exactly is your point PINKERTINKLE?? Are you implying that surgical residents haven't made three mistakes, or had those mistakes corrected by the attending before they were made, in their five years of residency and during the fellowships that followed?? Maybe you should think a little before you start talking out of your a$$ and trying to make people feel bad for having taken the MCAT more than once.
I appreciate all the honest answers and some of the crazy answers I got. I work 40 hours as a chemist and 30 hours as a sales associate at a convienence store trying to pay my student loans before I go and accrue more debt. All the people who were able to talk to admissions and find info. for yourself I am happy for you, but everytime I tried no straight answer from med schools. I am not applying now anyway because I am too far in debt to accrue more. And yeah doctors do mess up even with high MCATS. Once again thanks for all your help and good luck in the med school process

If he makes a mistake on his MCAT then he can retake it for a whole new score. Having to depend on a school taking the highest of each section of separate tests demonstrates an inconsistent ability to perform. If more schools adopted this, whose to say one shouldn't spend all their time studying BS this try, PS the next and VR the last?

Everyone elses' MCAT measures a person performance on an 8 hour test taken on one day. Retakers also perform to this standard. At best, taking the best scores of multiple attempts takes students off this standard reduces the objectivity of comparing applicants.

Pinkertinkle said:
If he makes a mistake on his MCAT then he can retake it for a whole new score. Having to depend on a school taking the highest of each section of separate tests demonstrates an inconsistent ability to perform. If more schools adopted this, whose to say one shouldn't spend all their time studying BS this try, PS the next and VR the last?

Everyone elses' MCAT measures a person performance on an 8 hour test taken on one day. Retakers also perform to this standard. At best, taking the best scores of multiple attempts takes students off this standard reduces the objectivity of comparing applicants.

dude, stop trying to make your flawed analogy work. stop comparing a career in medicine to a reasoning test. many colleges take the composite score of your SAT, and you don't see kids purposely focusing on math and bombing verbal then vice versa just because its easier. this isn't a matter of trying to make an 8 hr test more manageable; you're just being critical.