Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhatHippo49

UC Davis C/O 2018 <3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if there is already a thread out there for this, but I was wondering if anybody had some input or advice for the MMIs? They are doing them at UC Davis and I think a few other schools as well, and I have no idea how to prepare for them! Anybody gone through them yet and have any pointers to share? :)

Congrats to everyone who is preparing for interviews!! Such an exciting and terrifying process :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Did MMI at two schools. I'd suggest some casual news reading to keep in touch with current events in vet med, especially ethical things. Other than that there is absolutely nothing you can do other than taking a deep breath and giving your best answers by drawing from your personal experiences.

I haven't gotten an interview invite from Davis, but it was my undergrad institution. I talked to the Pre-Health advisor about it and she said you do different activities, some of which are kind of like ice-breakers. For example, one activity might be that you are paired with another interviewee and one of you has a sign on your back with a word or person on it and the other person has to help guide the person towards guessing the word. Others will be more like interviews where you are asked a question about your hobbies or an ethical question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a good night's sleep and be yourself. There is nothing you can do to prepare besides being there as un-stressed as possible and open to whatever happens. I think it helps if you are naturally outgoing and good at talking to strangers, but if you're not it isn't a deal breaker.
Oh... smile and introduce yourself in the "situation rooms". Don't be too tense and forget your manners. I think that is what part of the whole MMI experience is about-seeing how you react to pressure and new experiences.
Good luck! I enjoyed my MMI interview a lot:)

Reactions: 2 users
those are all great pieces of advice, thank you guys!

Did MMI at two schools. I'd suggest some casual news reading to keep in touch with current events in vet med, especially ethical things. Other than that there is absolutely nothing you can do other than taking a deep breath and giving your best answers by drawing from your personal experiences.

Any site you recommend to read up on current events on veterinary ethical issues, etc?

I have http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/plants_animals/veterinary_medicine/
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/categories/veterinary
and https://www.avma.org/Pages/home.aspx

not sure if those are good sites or if there are any better ones out there.

Reactions: 1 user
DVM360 is good. You can sign up for the AnimalHealth Smart Briefs. :)

Personally, I really hated the MMI. I thought it would be better- not knowing what was going to be asked and you cannot anticipate the questions. But, I found it to me SO much more stressful than a normal interview. At VMRCVM, you get 2 minutes to read a scenario outside the door and I think... 6 minutes inside to 'act it out' or discuss it. I really was stressing out for some of the questions because they were VERY off the wall... I think I was too stressed out at times trying to come up with an answer or talking points about a question in those two minutes. Time goes by very fast outside the door and very slow once inside and you realize that you only talked a few minutes and don't have anything left to say.

I disagree that there isn't anything you can do to prepare....there's a ton that you can do. Reading up on current events, common ethical situations (Bernard Rollin writes a decent intro book), and practicing putting yourself in a timed situation and talking through a scenario are all good things to do for preparation. It's amazing how much more difficult it is when you add that pressure.

What makes the difference is how comfortable and relaxed you can make yourself. A lot of what they're looking for is how well you communicate your ideas, so spending time preparing yourself so that you have that confidence is really important.

I disagree that there isn't anything you can do to prepare....there's a ton that you can do. Reading up on current events, common ethical situations (Bernard Rollin writes a decent intro book), and practicing putting yourself in a timed situation and talking through a scenario are all good things to do for preparation. It's amazing how much more difficult it is when you add that pressure.

What makes the difference is how comfortable and relaxed you can make yourself. A lot of what they're looking for is how well you communicate your ideas, so spending time preparing yourself so that you have that confidence is really important.

I agree...to a point. Depends on what personality type you have and your life experiences up to that point. I really think MMI is a great format for outgoing people with either flexible, quick minds in potentially awkward social situations or a lot of life experience in situations they're not entirely comfortable with. People with that sort of background won't need to prepare as much or at all (and seriously no offense intended) as compared to individuals who are more naturally reserved, not as comfortable talking to strangers, or who have lived more sheltered lives. Your advice is good for those that feel they need to prepare, however not all people need to. I also fear that "preparation" could lead to freezing in the moment when you realize the format isn't how you thought it would be and your plan has to go out the window. I really agree that confidence and the ability to communication play a huge part.

Also regarding the VMR MMI format-you get to write stuff down for the 2 minutes before you enter. A quick-y outline and remembering to look at it when you're in the room goes a long way to staying on topic. Interestingly, I had the opposite situation as you did Rainheart.-too much time outside the room, not enough time inside.

Of course it depends on where you are in life and your personality type, I agree with that completely. :)

I would still recommend reading up on events and ethics and going through some mock situations, even with just yourself. Sure, you have to be flexible and realize that you can't reproduce what it will exactly be like, but given the amount of pressure that you're under, I think it would be advisable to try and mentally prepare yourself as much as possible. If someone feels like they're set for something this big without doing anything, then that's amazing. I can't say I've ever felt that way. :shrug:

Does anyone know of good places to find mock situations or scenarios? I have had a really tough time just finding examples in general. VMR literally gives out one, and it is way simple. I looked on Amazon, but the books, CD's, etc. to prepare are super expensive ($60-$150). I got one for med school interviews that has a section on MMI in the back with a few examples but not a lot. I do feel like practicing would help me for sure, if only because it starts to take away some of the unknown fear factor and would give me a bit of confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
This book helped me with scenarios: http://www.amazon.com/An-Introducti...to+veterinary+medical+ethics+theory+and+cases

I don't think it's necessary to agree with all of his opinions, but it's really helpful in learning how to break down situations and how to look at the scenario from different perspectives. I didn't apply to VMR or go through their MMI, but I don't imagine it would be too terribly different from my school. It was emphasized by my school that it is important to acknowledge the perspectives from multiple sides: the vet, client, animal and any 3rd party.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks epivetlove, rainheart, frozenshades, escalla, and canhardlywait! :)

This book helped me with scenarios: http://www.amazon.com/An-Introduction-Veterinary-Medical-Ethics/dp/0813803993/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385139194&sr=8-1&keywords=an introduction to veterinary medical ethics theory and cases

I don't think it's necessary to agree with all of his opinions, but it's really helpful in learning how to break down situations and how to look at the scenario from different perspectives. I didn't apply to VMR or go through their MMI, but I don't imagine it would be too terribly different from my school. It was emphasized by my school that it is important to acknowledge the perspectives from multiple sides: the vet, client, animal and any 3rd party.

Hope that helps. :)

The first edition shouldn't be too drastically different from the second edition, right? I'm planning on buying the first edition since it's way cheaper. haha.

The first edition shouldn't be too drastically different from the second edition, right? I'm planning on buying the first edition since it's way cheaper. haha.

Yeah, that should be perfectly fine. There is a column in the CVMA journal that he writes as well that is available online.

Thanks epivetlove, rainheart, frozenshades, escalla, and canhardlywait! :)

No problem! Also, I found a used 1st edition for $1.99. All the others are around $20...something seems fishy. Chegg offers the 2nd edition for $35, so I may just get it on my next paycheck. Of course...I haven't even been offered an interview, so maybe I should just wait and not jinx myself. :scared:

:laugh:

Also, I was perusing the DVM360 site and came upon an article entitled "Unwanted kitten distribution and other absurd veterinary client accusations." The weird thing is...it's dated as being written 12/1/2013. I've found a rift in the space-time continuum and am now able to see into the future. :eek:

Edit: I just finished reading the article and thoroughly enjoyed this part about trimming a dog's nails in the exam room with the owner--"She grabbed the pooch and ran out into the waiting room where she explained to everyone that we make our patients behave by drugging them with sleeping gas that flows out from the exam room wall. 'I saw it squirting at my little dog," she screamed. "I'm never coming back here again!'" Bwhahahahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

The scenarios will change but the concepts are going to be the same whether Vet or Med. Remember to get into the habit of developing a framework for these MMIs. If you need a good MMI book to help you develop a framework to the MMIs and with practice scenarios check out the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) for the Mind prepbook. It's primarily geared towards premed but effective for prevet students too. Google or search it on Amazon. Good Luck!

Bumping this for all the VA-MD CVM interview invitees....Good Luck Y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Michigan State too....and the first year they're doing them too. So no history to go off of!

I actually bought the ethics book to prepare without reading this thread first haha. Basically I'm torn between winging it and trying to practice. I know I'm going to freeze up a bit either way, to be honest. Most schools seem to provide you with a small notepad to jot down your thoughts, so that should help.

I've heard from friends (who went to different schools) that some people had 4-5 minutes of awkward silence after they spit out their answer (you can't leave until your last minute is up), while others were cut off after they ran out of time. One of those friends told me that whenever he stumbled, the panel would ask him a question to help prod him back on track (I'm assuming they had a feeling he was going to nail the question, but just got nervous). Other schools do not allow the panel to talk to you (besides a hello, I assume) to preserve consistency between interviewees.

To me, this style is severely intimidating. I can handle myself quite well in most situations I might find myself in during my career, but something about MMI's makes me wanna hurl. I think it's the formality of it. Not to say that a traditional interview isn't formal. But I'm picturing hearing doors open and close ever 8 minutes on the dot, dead silence everywhere else. I'm really hoping Michigan goes out of their way to make this relaxed. I've read that some schools are extra friendly when they hold MMI's because they are typically more stressful.

I've heard from friends (who went to different schools) that some people had 4-5 minutes of awkward silence after they spit out their answer (you can't leave until your last minute is up), while others were cut off after they ran out of time.
Yikes, I had not even considered that you might have too much time during one of the MMIs.... and you'd have to just wait it out. I got an interview invite to a school that does MMIs (Oregon State) and I'm torn between being happy that it's so open ended and terrified that's it's so utterly and mysteriously open ended. I'm beyond happy to have an interview but, yeah, I'm scared :eek:

Yikes, I had not even considered that you might have too much time during one of the MMIs.... and you'd have to just wait it out. I got an interview invite to a school that does MMIs (Oregon State) and I'm torn between being happy that it's so open ended and terrified that's it's so utterly and mysteriously open ended. I'm beyond happy to have an interview but, yeah, I'm scared :eek:
Oh, one of my friends who gave me advice actually interviewed at Oregon! When I asked her how often she was left just standing there in silence, she said "You'd be surprised how fast 6 minutes goes by." So in other words, you usually fill in all of your time. I just feel that I won't. I tend to be less talkative haha