Multiple Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rekesk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it odd to request multiple recommendation letters from the same individuals for different programs? Suppose you had applied for medical school, but at the same time you wanted to attend some sort of graduate program as a backup plan in case you don't get into medical school - in that case, is requesting a LOR from the same individuals a safe thing to do, or would it look odd?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it odd to request multiple recommendation letters from the same individuals for different programs? Suppose you had applied for medical school, but at the same time you wanted to attend some sort of graduate program as a backup plan in case you don't get into medical school - in that case, is requesting a LOR from the same individuals a safe thing to do, or would it look odd?

i know someone in my lab who asked the PI to write LOR for three types of program- MD w/ PhD, just PhD and then another masters

i know someone in my lab who asked the PI to write LOR for three types of program- MD w/ PhD, just PhD and then another masters

:eek: And the PI was cool with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is I would think a PI would not go ahead and blindly supply recommendation letters to former members of their labs.

as far as i know...the PI did write all three letters. the PI changed one parapraph for each and rest was same....and the person who wanted the LOR was okay with that and so was the PI since it wouldn't be a lot of work to change one paragraph for each of the three programs.

IF you do this, draft letters for them, so that the letters don't end up all the same and confused and vague. Plus, talk it through with them, why you're doing it and all.

ALSO, I had this plan as well, but PhD programs' application due dates are much later than med school dates (as are masters), so I waited to see. And I got acceptances to MD programs early on, so I didn't end up needing the PhD recommendations... So I say apply MD early, and if in nov/dec you don't have a good list of interviews or any acceptances, go ahead and apply for a masters and get some recs...

IF you do this, draft letters for them, so that the letters don't end up all the same and confused and vague. Plus, talk it through with them, why you're doing it and all.

ALSO, I had this plan as well, but PhD programs' application due dates are much later than med school dates (as are masters), so I waited to see. And I got acceptances to MD programs early on, so I didn't end up needing the PhD recommendations... So I say apply MD early, and if in nov/dec you don't have a good list of interviews or any acceptances, go ahead and apply for a masters and get some recs...

Well my due dates are in July and May, so I was thinking about asking within a week or two to give them enough time.

I had a second thought about this one - draft letters FOR them? As in request them to say in a letter "Person X was a student in my lab and he has these skills and abilities, etc.?"

I had a second thought about this one - draft letters FOR them? As in request them to say in a letter "Person X was a student in my lab and he has these skills and abilities, etc.?"

Yes. Draft letters FOR them. Even if they don't really use it, they've never minded it, most LOVE it, and it can help let them know what strengths you want them to bring up...