Multiple Simultaneous Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcuteLines

Just a new guy.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ahoy.

Just a bit of exposition: I'm just getting started with this journey towards medical school, and I realize that many school clubs at the moment don't appeal to me very much. To be honest, and in all typical pretentious premed fashion, I prefer talking to adults instead of... newer adults. Inevitably I'll get into something, but as for right now, I am primarily interested in research.

Has anyone worked in multiple research labs simultaneously? If so, how was the experience?
I would love to work in multiple labs, each exploring a different topic.

Is it possible to do something like this problem free?
Will the work of one cut into and affect the quality of the work over the other, and could doing this anger the PIs? Could other problems arise?

Thank you. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

This is a horrendous idea.

When you are researching, it is best to actually commit to a project and dedicate a lot of time to it so you can actually produce meaningful results.

Prancing through multiple labs giving minimal time to each is a waste of everyone's time, including your own, and it won't help you a bit for medical school admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a horrendous idea.

When you are researching, it is best to actually commit to a project and dedicate a lot of time to it so you can actually produce meaningful results.

Prancing through multiple labs giving minimal time to each is a waste of everyone's time, including your own, and it won't help you a bit for medical school admissions.

Alright Thanks

Ahoy.

Just a bit of exposition: I'm just getting started with this journey towards medical school, and I realize that many school clubs at the moment don't appeal to me very much. To be honest, and in all typical pretentious premed fashion, I prefer talking to adults instead of... newer adults. Inevitably I'll get into something, but as for right now, I am primarily interested in research.

Has anyone worked in multiple research labs simultaneously? If so, how was the experience?
I would love to work in multiple labs, each exploring a different topic.

Is it possible to do something like this problem free?
Will the work of one cut into and affect the quality of the work over the other, and could doing this anger the PIs? Could other problems arise?

Thank you. :cool:

I'll play devil's advocate here. I currently am working on multiple projects in different labs. I have been successful at both and can provide some advice.

1) it helps if your PIs know each other and get along. It's preferable if they're in the same department, even if they study different things.

2) ideally, a balance can be found if one position is a bench position and the other is clinical. I spend a good amount of time doing bench work in one lab right now, and then my free time during class, at night, etc... I spend doing stats, data analysis, and writing for my other lab.

3) be computer savvy, especially if you pick up a clinical position. Know Excel inside and out, have a good understanding of statistical methods and when they apply, learn how to write, use Endnote, etc. These skills will take you a long way. They will also allow you to work on your computer/laptop fairly often, which can be done whenever and wherever.

4) communicate with both PIs, and try to pick up skills that are applicable in both labs

Overall, it kind of takes a perfect storm to make it work, but it's not nearly as impossible as some might make it seem. PM me if you want more details.