Multiple Speeding Tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YeOldeMan

Squinting at You
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got pulled over going 125 in the 75. (Probably won't get out of this one (I have gotten out of multiple ones before -- but not this bad). Guess I'll have to hire an attorney.
How will medical schools look at this? Will they ask me about it? What exactly will they ask? Speeding is some bs, IMO, but not everyone sees it this way. Will they also ask about past tickets and warnings?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The process

1. Say out loud I am a dumb ass for going 125
2. Call attorney and explain situation
3. Meet with attorney
4. Give Attorney check for X amount
5. Get off with improper equipment or some other BS charge

No need to be down and out its not that bad, you might have a class or some other stuff but normally with a good attorney and I mean GOOD attorney you will not get out of it.

Will schools ask you about speeding tickets? What about warnings? I've been pulled over about 6 times thus far. 3 of them I just got warnings, 1 of them I fought successfully, 1 of them got reduced to a defensive driving school class w/no record, and 1 of them was reduced to a (rather hefty) fine w/no record. Anyhow, I just got pulled over going 125 in the 75 (interstate)...and I'm looking at a serious charge now. The cop initially was going to put me down for speeding, reckless driving, intentional disregard for public safety, et al. and arrest me, but in the end (after talking for a little bit) decided just to give me a speeding ticket. I think I'm going to have to get a lawyer this time.
How will medical schools look at this? Will they ask me about it? What exactly will they ask? Speeding is some bs, IMO, but not everyone sees it this way.

I applied to 25 schools this year, only one (Vermont) required any information on speeding tickets. However, if you are charged with reckless driving or anything else, it will be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
for future reference the brake is on the left

Driving that fast is reckless, and irresponsible, but we all do stupid stuff. Don't worry about it, it will not keep you out of medical school.

that might be a misdemeanor which wud be bad, very bad

Sure beats the hell out of a felony, but do you think a Misdemeanor is going to keep someone from Med School? I mean yea a serious one would but a speeding ticket or underage drinking isn't going to hurt you.

Whats your take on it?

Just got pulled over going 125 in the 75. (Probably won't get out of this one (I have gotten out of multiple ones before -- but not this bad). Guess I'll have to hire an attorney.
How will medical schools look at this? Will they ask me about it? What exactly will they ask? Speeding is some bs, IMO, but not everyone sees it this way. Will they also ask about past tickets and warnings?

Yeah, they will ask. It seems reckless to drive that fast. They will think, "Now, what other shenanigans will he do if he's accepted?"

Would you want a surgeon working on you who had a history of such careless disregard for his safety and that of others?

Yeah, they will ask. It seems reckless to drive that fast. They will think, "Now, what other shenanigans will he do if he's accepted?"

Would you want a surgeon working on you who had a history of such careless disregard for his safety and that of others?

Absolutely not, but that's just me.

Do you really believe that there is nothing wrong with going 125 mph?

hehe, 125 is a little much. However, I was fully in control and handling it very precisely; I'd be more worried about those idiots swerving around at 80mph looking like they can hardly handle themselves.

It was a little bit of a unique situation. I had finished two excruciatingly difficult summer classes and was heading down from Atlanta to the Keys.

On another note, I don't think I'll get reckless driving, or a misdemeanor or anything like that. Just a heavy speeding ticket, and probably a suspended license. The cop was initially threatening with reckless driving, willful disregard for public safety, and threatening arrest...but in the end he said he'll just give me a speeding ticket (and I drove away on good terms -- or as good as can be in that situation).
So from the previous responses, I guess the medschool apps do not ask about speeding tickets (except for Vermont). That's good so far, but do they ask about suspended licenses?

Last edited:
hehe, 125 is a little much. However, I was fully in control and handling it very precisely; I'd be more worried about those idiots swerving around at 80mph looking like they can hardly handle themselves.

It was a little bit of a unique situation. I had finished two excruciatingly difficult summer classes and was heading down from Atlanta to the Keys.

ah well. as long as you were going down to the keys.

What kind of car do you have to be going that fast? Better be some kind of sports car maybe the new Camaro. Then I would say 125mph is okay, you were just testing out that bad A engine. If you have a clunker, dude, dumb decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

In my state, I'm pretty sure all moving violations are a misdemeanor offense. Not positive tho.

On another note, I don't think I'll get reckless driving, or a misdemeanor or anything like that. Just a heavy speeding ticket, and probably a suspended license. The cop was initially threatening with reckless driving, willful disregard for public safety, and threatening arrest...but in the end he said he'll just give me a speeding ticket (and I drove away on good terms -- or as good as can be in that situation).
So from the previous responses, I guess the medschool apps do not ask about speeding tickets (except for Vermont). That's good so far, but do they ask about suspended licenses?

Ehh.. as a fellow speeder, I don't have too much problem with "responsible" speeding, but even in my visit to GA, there's no way I would speed anywhere. There were cops everywhere when I lived there and when I visited. Also, 125 is one of those "hey I want to top out my car but I won't do this all the time or for an extended period of time" sort of things. Plus, think about the drop in fuel economy at those speeds! Sure, you might get there in 1/2 the time, but you will use 6x the fuel and risk things like... getting caught going that fast! PS I used to drive home at 90-100 every day... not anymore.

What kind of car do you have to be going that fast? Better be some kind of sports car maybe the new Camaro. Then I would say 125mph is okay, you were just testing out that bad A engine. If you have a clunker, dude, dumb decision.

Fairly recent model Firebird T-Top with a turbocharger. No top and warm Southern weather make it very tempting to go fast. :D It's a good car for power on a budget.
****in A man, I had just aced my finals after two weeks of sleep deprivation and beaches + alcohol + badass pad + UF chicks were waiting for me in Florida. Who wouldn't feel some rush? Throw in the car and the weather...and you have 125 mph. QED

Last edited:
Fairly recent model Firebird T-Top with a turbocharger. No top and warm Southern weather make it very tempting to go fast. :D It's a good car for power on a budget.

I really wanted to one-word-reply to this with: "Nice."

I think a lot of people see speeding as "immature." In some ways, it is, but I know PLENTY of doctors who speed in their nice cars all the time. Heck, my friend's dad, a DO, also happens to have a 1970's carrera with custom turbo'd engine, custom suspension, gutted, roll caged interior, track seat, fuel cell... so sexy. He daily drives a MT 996C4S.

I weep for the future.

Alright then. I do not blame you for wanting to put the peddle to the metal. Just be careful, though. Would hate to see ya in the newspaper in the Obituaries to put it bluntly.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is "fully in control" at 125 mph. Yes, I speed too, but it's 10-15 over the limit, not 50.

You deserve whatever you get coming to you, especially for putting others at risk going that fast.

Speeding is dangerous.

If you want to know how serious it is and how badly you could be injured, google Porsche girl.

Back when I was a resident, a friend of mine, a fellow resident, was killed in a car accident because of speeding and alcohol. The car slid off the road and was ripped in half by a tree, and every occupant was killed except for the driver.

isnt' anything over 30+ the speed limit considered criminal speeding?
you could go to jail if you lived in my state.

at 80 mph, your can can be ripped in half by a tree, good luck in the future, I just hope I am no where near you.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is "fully in control" at 125 mph. Yes, I speed too, but it's 10-15 over the limit, not 50.

You deserve whatever you get coming to you, especially for putting others at risk going that fast.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his friends are
:rolleyes:

I could never watch that stuff though... it's too boring for me.
I would rather be at a track myself going 130+... if I had a car that would go that fast lol

Note: I do frown upon going past 100 on public roads

Even if you were in full control, you could have rear ended a guy going the speed limit at 75. Yes, there are people who think driving on speed limit or below is totally fine in the far left lane, even when the entire highway is empty.

Where I live (big city), I believe there are a lot more fatalities on low speed highways (like 30-45) than on the major highways (55-60 mph).

Speeding is dangerous.

If you want to know how serious it is and how badly you could be injured, google Porsche girl.

Back when I was a resident, a friend of mine, a fellow resident, was killed in a car accident because of speeding and alcohol. The car slid off the road and was ripped in half by a tree, and every occupant was killed except for the driver.
i remember that from craigslist. terrible.

Even if you were in full control, you could have rear ended a guy going the speed limit at 75. Yes, there are people who think driving on speed limit or below is totally fine in the far left lane, even when the entire highway is empty.

I really hate it when the highway is full.

I have, and I didn't hit any sections without speed limits. We were among the fastest cars at about 140 kph.

I believe the point was that many German cars are tested to be very safe up to 155MPH (and above, but that's the German Gentleman's Agreement that's been around for ages) and they have strict rules that makes the Autobahn an extremely safe road. If people obeyed A-B style rules in the US, I would guess that there would be many less accidents.

It doesn't hurt that the Germans also keep their roads in tip-top condition.

You're boned, just don't even try.

Seriously, is it that hard to obey the law?

Yeah, her head was smashed to pieces probably from the car rolling over multiple times.

Ah man I just looked at those pics. Awful. Her body was completely contorted. poor girl.

I believe the point was that many German cars are tested to be very safe up to 155MPH (and above, but that's the German Gentleman's Agreement that's been around for ages) and they have strict rules that makes the Autobahn an extremely safe road. If people obeyed A-B style rules in the US, I would guess that there would be many less accidents.

It doesn't hurt that the Germans also keep their roads in tip-top condition.

I think the FAR more important thing is going 155 MPH whenever one else is, not a big deal. Going 125 MPH when everone else is going 60MPH thats a big deal. Think about it, have you ever stood still next to a highway and seen the cars go by at 60MPH, that is what a 125 MPH would look like to the other drivers on the road.

Speaking of epic crashes. This is how I want to go out when I'm old and incontinent. Don't hurt anybody, just do something awesome that will be posted and remembered on the internet for all time. =)

I think the FAR more important thing is going 155 MPH whenever one else is, not a big deal. Going 125 MPH when everone else is going 60MPH thats a big deal. Think about it, have you ever stood still next to a highway and seen the cars go by at 60MPH, that is what a 125 MPH would look like to the other drivers on the road.

I totally agree. That's why I don't go more than 20 over when there is possibly anybody around. My point was that it IS very possible to be "in control" at 125 MPH. Furthermore, it is possible to have a functioning system that enables it to be done safely. This is especially enhanced by the fact that licenses require more training in some countries; I believe this is true about Germany. In other words, when you have high-speed car control--meaning skidding and driving--training, it is unlikely that responsible use of high-speeds is any more dangerous than a 15.5 year old going the speed limit on the US highway system.

Speaking of epic crashes. This is how I want to go out when I'm old and incontinent. Don't hurt anybody, just do something awesome that will be posted and remembered on the internet for all time. =)

Weirdo. haha jk

Oddly enough, does anyone else feel SAFER going slightly faster than the rest of traffic? I feel more in control, like I don't have to be next to or behind some idiot for my entire trip, plus I can drive up to a hole in traffic, instead of trying to squeeze in between a bunch of people right next to me.

Having owned several F-Bodies myself currently in a vette what is a recent firebird? V-6 V-8 ? Turbo what kind? At 125 stock F-body brakes suck by the way...

I really wanted to one-word-reply to this with: "Nice."

I think a lot of people see speeding as "immature." In some ways, it is, but I know PLENTY of doctors who speed in their nice cars all the time. Heck, my friend's dad, a DO, also happens to have a 1970's carrera with custom turbo'd engine, custom suspension, gutted, roll caged interior, track seat, fuel cell... so sexy. He daily drives a MT 996C4S.

That sounds pretty sweet, but it's more of a track car. If you drive on the road you probably don't want it gutted. I also know many docs, and other professionals, who speed in their nice cars all the time too.
His car run on fuel cell?

Someone mentioned this earlier, but many German highways have people driving "in control" that fast. Hell, they have motorcycles regularly going 130. I've also driven a motorcycle (wouldn't recommend it, too risky, too dangerous) and they are wayyy less in control than a car. Not to mention, on the interstates most traffic goes 80+, with regular 100mph drivers and occasional 110mph drivers. Plus, this stretch of the interstate was concrete. I have great tires, great wheels, great brakes, great lights (HID), and I drive very well. I've taken classes, done research, track raced...and I have good instincts. I was "in control".
We don't know what is coming to me, yet. =D

Speeding is dangerous.

NEVER drink alcohol and drive. It's a fact that alcohol greatly decreases your capabilities, and even if you drive Formula 1 or something, there is a great chance you'll crash and burn on the road.
Those Porsche girl pictures are grotesque.

Having owned several F-Bodies myself currently in a vette what is a recent firebird? V-6 V-8 ? Turbo what kind? At 125 stock F-body brakes suck by the way...

It's a 98 V6, the type without all those hideous gimmicky body decorations they started putting on. I'm not sure what type of turbo. The guy I bought it from was big on mods, and built the turbo himself. He also mentioned overhauling the brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. and swapping the tranny (6-speed manual -- How can the entire US population not love these and drive automatic?). He was selling it because he lost his license (I wonder if it's cursed). I'd prefer just a nitrous system, but it came with the turbocharger.
Isn't it sad they're being discontinued?

The comparisons with the autobahn should stop, as American expressways are were not created and are not maintained to handle that kind of speed.

I hope you get the reckless driving charge you deserve. Given your entitled attitude, it sounds like you have money and you'll probably be able to squirm out of it.

Please, in the future, do not endanger yourself and others like this. Some underpaid paramedic is going to scrape your brain off a side rail.

I'm guessing the driver wishes he were dead.

The comparisons with the autobahn should stop, as American expressways are were not created and are not maintained to handle that kind of speed.

I hope you get the reckless driving charge you deserve. Given your entitled attitude, it sounds like you have money and you'll probably be able to squirm out of it.

Please, in the future, do not endanger yourself and others like this. Some underpaid paramedic is going to scrape your brain off a side rail.

Hmmm, that's a little off since earlier I implicated I was "on a budget." Yes, I do have money, just like you have money. But I'm a student, and the money I have I made myself. If I get off again (like I have before), it's not because I payed for it, it's because I will have shown the judge and the DA and the police officer that I'm a very decent person going nowhere but forward.

EDIT: I think the thread is getting offhand. I know it's bad to go 125, and I know there will be consequences. But what I really would like to know, is whether this ticket -- in any way -- can affect my medschool app. And I would be really appreciative if anyone would post their knowledge, or even their speculation on this topic.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how easily they'll look at that and agree with you considering you have prior speeding tickets. They will look at this and see a problem...

I'm guessing the driver wishes he were dead.

I believe the autobahn comparisons were simply to point out that, in fact, you can drive 125 and be 'in control', not to say that people in the states should do it all the time.

Question for OP: were there a lot of people around?

I'm not sure how easily they'll look at that and agree with you considering you have prior speeding tickets. They will look at this and see a problem...

I got off on all of them, and they weren't all by the same group (i.e. Georgia State Patrol, Cobb County PD, etc.) This current group has only given me a warning before.

I believe the autobahn comparisons were simply to point out that, in fact, you can drive 125 and be 'in control', not to say that people in the states should do it all the time.

Yeah, that's definitely the point.

Question for OP: were there a lot of people around?

That was definitely the point of autobahn comparisons. Nobody is trying to say everyone should regularly be driving at those speeds in the US.

Nope, it was actually pretty empty. Around 1pm on a Thursday, I was in south-Georgia territory on I-95. Closer to Atlanta, the traffic is heavy, and sometime I wouldn't even go 65....but by then I was already in nowhere with very high visibility. No people or bicyclists or hikers would be around. Not close enough to the marshes for any gators either.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean I-75. It was became I-95 around Miami.

Last edited:
you know that you would get totally different responses had you just left it at, "I got a couple of moving violations" instead of articulating to exact number

there's nothing like the feeling of driving fast though. for me, having control of a car and doing a couple of silly things >>>>

Hmmm, that's a little off since earlier I implicated I was "on a budget." Yes, I do have money, just like you have money. But I'm a student, and the money I have I made myself. If I get off again (like I have before), it's not because I payed for it, it's because I will have shown the judge and the DA and the police officer that I'm a very decent person going nowhere but forward.

EDIT: I think the thread is getting offhand. I know it's bad to go 125, and I know there will be consequences. But what I really would like to know, is whether this ticket -- in any way -- can affect my medschool app. And I would be really appreciative if anyone would post their knowledge, or even their speculation on this topic.

Since there has been some proof that each med school treats moving violations differently it may be in your best interest to call (anonymously, of course) each school you're interested in and ask what their specific policy is.

It might be helpful to wait to see exactly what you're charged with, though, unless you're using this to debate whether or not to hire an attorney.

At least in FL it takes more than just speed for someone to be charged with reckless driving..

And to the OP I am not calling you a liar but there is no way to modify the 6spd trans to fit the V6 and there are no aftermarket companies that build a 6 speed for your car. Nor does the V6 have the TQ to push the car along with a 6th gear. You sound like a kid with a V6 who was driving like an idiot and is gonna end up around a tree. I have had to fly several of you out....

I got off on all of them, and they weren't all by the same group (i.e. Georgia State Patrol, Cobb County PD, etc.) This current group has only given me a warning before.

That was definitely the point of autobahn comparisons. Nobody is trying to say everyone should regularly be driving at those speeds in the US.

Nope, it was actually pretty empty. Around 1pm on a Thursday, I was in south-Georgia territory on I-95. Closer to Atlanta, the traffic is heavy, and sometime I wouldn't even go 65....but by then I was already in nowhere with very high visibility. No people or bicyclists or hikers would be around. Not close enough to the marshes for any gators either.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean I-75. It was became I-95 around Miami.

How did you get caught? Did the cop like sneak up on you or something?
N dont u have one of those cheapo radar guns?

No your right, the most famous road in the world where people cruise to work at 110 minimum in the slow lane which ALSO has an average of four accidents a year is proof that nobody is fully in control. The earth is spinning awful fast underneath you but your not loosing your footing, certain vehicles can handle it easily. I hit 150 in a friends 05' GTO and felt like i was doing 60. :D