Multiple Speeding Tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least in FL it takes more than just speed for someone to be charged with reckless driving..

And to the OP I am not calling you a liar but there is no way to modify the 6spd trans to fit the V6 and there are no aftermarket companies that build a 6 speed for your car. Nor does the V6 have the TQ to push the car along with a 6th gear. You sound like a kid with a V6 who was driving like an idiot and is gonna end up around a tree. I have had to fly several of you out....

If it has a big turbo, that will increase max torque by 200lb*ft or more...

As to the tranny, I'm clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

you know that you would get totally different responses had you just left it at, "I got a couple of moving violations" instead of articulating to exact number

there's nothing like the feeling of driving fast though. for me, having control of a car and doing a couple of silly things >>>>

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Then I edited it but it was already quoted. And you can view the edits. I also wanted to know if schools could somehow find out all this, and then if adcoms would see it and go: "Holy @!#! all these speeding incidents, this guy is a loose cannon" and reject me. Or maybe if they just saw the 50-over ticket and had that reaction. If they didn't know me I think they would feel I am reckless.
Yeah, but really. A little speed here and there is not bad. As long as you're capable and in control.

At least in FL it takes more than just speed for someone to be charged with reckless driving..

And to the OP I am not calling you a liar but there is no way to modify the 6spd trans to fit the V6 and there are no aftermarket companies that build a 6 speed for your car. Nor does the V6 have the TQ to push the car along with a 6th gear. You sound like a kid with a V6 who was driving like an idiot and is gonna end up around a tree. I have had to fly several of you out....

Turbocharger increases torque. The car is also lighter as some aluminum and lighter parts were swapped in. I'm not a mod enthusiast, or even mechanically inclined, but the guy I bought it from was a mechanical engineer who was crazy on modding (and not just cars). Even if you couldn't fit in another Firebird 6spd (which you should be able to, but is not done frequently b/c of the torque difference...i.e. a v6 5spd tranny couldn't handle the v8 torque and a v6 Firebird couldn't handle a 6th gear), another Pontiac tranny may work, or even another GM 6-speed. One of the reasons I got it so cheap was that it was jury-rigged so many times no stranger would buy it :D
Are you suggesting I have a chip on my shoulder because I only have a V6? :p
Don't tell me you've never been tempted to top out your car. You buy Firebirds and Corvettes for what? To look flashy? As I said earlier, I'm never drive out of my comfort/control zone. That's the key. Always be in control, always be alert, always be looking far ahead, and never, ever, ever, drink. If there is doubt, don't do it. That's how I won't end up decorating a tree.

How did you get caught? Did the cop like sneak up on you or something?
N dont u have one of those cheapo radar guns?

Sneak up on me? At that speed? Nah, I was driving in treeland and decided to get a little thrill. I saw him as a flew by him. I slowed down because there was nowhere to go but interstate, and there probably would have been a cop waiting for me a few miles later. Then I kissed ass.
I was going to look into those radar detectors or whatever, but I hear cheapo ones just don't cut it. I guess now I should probably look into one, as I'm running out of chances.

No your right, the most famous road in the world where people cruise to work at 110 minimum in the slow lane which ALSO has an average of four accidents a year is proof that nobody is fully in control. The earth is spinning awful fast underneath you but your not loosing your footing, certain vehicles can handle it easily. I hit 150 in a friends 05' GTO and felt like i was doing 60. :D

Yeah, some people are just overly righteous. When they see you do a driving manuever they don't have the skill and confidence to even attempt, they get pissed off at you and start honking and yelling and giving you the finger. Then they drive next to another car for 10 miles, at the speed limit. Then they make a turn and cut halfway into the next lane. Then they talk on their cell phone and eat MacDonalds and drink coffee while listening to the radio. Then they spill it all over themselves when I manage to squeeze between them and the person they were driving next to for the last 10 miles, because I didn't give them the 10ft padding they expect from everyone. Then they get pissed off and start tailing me and waving their arms and blinking their lights. It's all very depressing.

LizzyM or other adcom members. How do admissions committees view speeding offences. Can they find your warnings somehow? How do they view 10 over, 20 over, 30 over, 40 over, 50 over, more? Can they find out if you had a ticket appealed to just a fine (no points)? How would they view reckless driving? I'm not too worried that my past offenses will come up, just mostly about this 50 over incident.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Splitting lanes? Now that's ballsy! I prefer shoulder/suicide lane passes over that any day... But I don't do those..

Whoa whoa whoa. I don't split lanes. I meant they drive next to each other for a while, and then goes slightly faster than the other, giving me a temporary gap to squeeze through (which the other driver quickly tries to patch up). Never actually done a shoulder pass, I just get right on their bumper to give them the hint...then back off a bit, which usually works.

I did split lanes all the time on my motorcycle, when I drove one. Damn, those things are handy sometimes, but soooooo unsafe. Way too risky.

Well if you end up with a speeding ticket then you don't have to report it on your primary application and I don't recall seeing them ask about it on any of my secondary applications as I have a couple myself. They only ask for misdemeanors and felonies and speeding is neither one so you don't have to mention anything. If it comes up in some sort of background check later on - well then it will be after you've already been offered an aceptance to that school and I highly doubt there going to pull your acceptance due to a speeding ticket.

Whoa whoa whoa. I don't split lanes. I meant they drive next to each other for a while, and then goes slightly faster than the other, giving me a temporary gap to squeeze through (which the other driver quickly tries to patch up). Never actually done a shoulder pass, I just get right on their bumper to give them the hint...then back off a bit, which usually works.

I did split lanes all the time on my motorcycle, when I drove one. Damn, those things are handy sometimes, but soooooo unsafe. Way too risky.

Ooh I thought "between" was LITERALLY "between"! Haha. I'm always afraid someone is going to brake check me when I go for a real quick cut like what you described... I'm trying to calm down my driving habits.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is "fully in control" at 125 mph. Yes, I speed too, but it's 10-15 over the limit, not 50.

You deserve whatever you get coming to you, especially for putting others at risk going that fast.

its people like you that will make a career in medicine unbearable for your colleagues

I don't know about Vermont... sounds like OP shouldn't apply there.

The only driving related issue I can recall that derailed an applicant involved involuntary manslaughter.

How "bad" a charge is depends on if it would interfere with your ability to be a doctor, such as alcoholism, which multiple MIPs would suggest. Or a pattern of very irresponsible behavior.

Do you really believe that there is nothing wrong with going 125 mph?

On a straight freeway, in good road conditions, with no other cars around in a high-performance vehicle? Um, no. I'd say it's very right.

But don't put that in the explanation box when you have to explain it on secondaries that ask for minor traffic violations (if it were a misdemeanor you'd have to disclose it to all schools).

In my state, I'm pretty sure all moving violations are a misdemeanor offense. Not positive tho.

Whoa what state is that? That would be pretty insane. Most people have speeding tickets. Pretty much everybody would be considered a criminal in a state with that policy. Traffic court is separate for a reason.

You're boned, just don't even try.

Seriously, is it that hard to obey the law?

It might make it more difficult to get in, but boned? No.

LizzyM or other adcom members. How do admissions committees view speeding offences. Can they find your warnings somehow? How do they view 10 over, 20 over, 30 over, 40 over, 50 over, more? Can they find out if you had a ticket appealed to just a fine (no points)? How would they view reckless driving? I'm not too worried that my past offenses will come up, just mostly about this 50 over incident.

I'm not an adcom, but I ordered my own background check to see as I have moving violations, mostly from when I was 16/17 but one last year. Traffic violations do not show up, so any school that uses AMCAS's background check will not be able to see them. Non-traffic violations show up, and traffic misdemeanors do show up. (no I don't have those, but I know this to be the case). There is a separate court system for traffic violations less than misdemeanor and that system is not included in the background check.

Well if you end up with a speeding ticket then you don't have to report it on your primary application and I don't recall seeing them ask about it on any of my secondary applications as I have a couple myself. They only ask for misdemeanors and felonies and speeding is neither one so you don't have to mention anything. If it comes up in some sort of background check later on - well then it will be after you've already been offered an aceptance to that school and I highly doubt there going to pull your acceptance due to a speeding ticket.

AMCAS specifically asks for misdemeanors and felonies. So if it wasn't a misdemeanor or felony, it shouldn't be on the primary.

Most of my secondaries have asked for anything except "minor traffic violations," and that includes infractions unrelated to traffic but not strictly misdemeanor/felony.

Last edited:
AMCAS specifically asks for misdemeanors and felonies. So if it wasn't a misdemeanor or felony, it shouldn't be on the primary.

Most of my secondaries have asked for anything except "minor traffic violations," and that includes infractions unrelated to traffic but not necessarily misdemeanor/felony.

Sweet! Thanks for that.

I don't know about Vermont... sounds like OP shouldn't apply there.

The only driving related issue I can recall that derailed an applicant involved involuntary manslaughter.

Vermont would give me that outta-state-hate anyways :). Seems from previous replies, speeding tickets (or equipment violation, bad taillight, following too closely, etc.) do not show up on a background check, much less warnings.
If you somehow found out an applicant was going 50 over, would you be less inclined to accept him?

Manslaughter, now that is a little worse.... :eek:

I personally can't believe all this talk about "doing 125" and "I am in complete control, unlike everyone else" crap. Grow up.

Now, for the hotshots out there, what does someone look like when they are pulled out of a car that was going 100+ mph and crashed into a tree? SAUSAGE. And, for those invincible hotshots, what happens when your front tire blows out @ 100+? You just crashed into a tree, and guess what, you don't even get a chopper ride b/c you are DOA.

For the admissions perspective, I am fairly sure it doesn't matter. Reckless driving is a felony in some states, though.

All I have to say is- some people are way better drivers than others. I'm not going to comment on this guys skills, but laying out a blanket statement like 'no one is in control at 125' is *****ic.

125 is not that fast. In fact, only a year ago I hit 150 on the dirt biweekly in a car with just over 900 hp, going in circles, sideways. You think going 125 in my bmw on asphalt, straight, requires anything close to that kind of skill? Not a chance. And I'm a novice when it comes to racing. Go watch a F1 race.

Moral of my story: just because you can't do it, don't think other people can't. In fact, you'll find there is probably someone out there who is amazing at it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All I have to say is- some people are way better drivers than others. I'm not going to comment on this guys skills, but laying out a blanket statement like 'no one is in control at 125' is *****ic.

125 is not that fast. In fact, only a year ago I hit 150 on the dirt biweekly in a car with just over 900 hp. You think going 125 in my bmw requires anything close to that kind of skill? Not a chance.

Moral of my story: just because you can't do it, don't think other people can't, and be amazing at it
125 on a public road is FAST. to claim otherwise is ******ed. have i never gone over that? no, but i knew it was fast.

nah not on a public road. i've maxed out the bimmer a few times on public and taken the race car out once, im sure i was in the 150-160 range then. track was 200

I personally can't believe all this talk about "doing 125" and "I am in complete control, unlike everyone else" crap. Grow up.

Now, for the hotshots out there, what does someone look like when they are pulled out of a car that was going 100+ mph and crashed into a tree? SAUSAGE. And, for those invincible hotshots, what happens when your front tire blows out @ 100+? You just crashed into a tree, and guess what, you don't even get a chopper ride b/c you are DOA.

For the admissions perspective, I am fairly sure it doesn't matter. Reckless driving is a felony in some states, though.

Again, it's about knowing what to do. And it's largely preventative. Keep good tires, check for cracks, tears, nails, etc. Keep them inflated appropriately, and you can avoid a blowout.
When a 16 year old kid hits 100+ in his daddy's Miata and his tire blows out, he panics, slams the brakes, skids, likely rolls over, hits a few things, car gets shredded, he gets shredded, the end. A blowout will just give you an imbalance, but you can correct for it and slow down gradually. 125 down a mostly empty 6-lane highway is not a big deal.

125 is not that fast. In fact, only a year ago I hit 150 on the dirt biweekly in a car with just over 900 hp, going in circles, sideways. You think going 125 in my bmw on asphalt, straight, requires anything close to that kind of skill? Not a chance. And I'm a novice when it comes to racing. Go watch a F1 race.

Moral of my story: just because you can't do it, don't think other people can't. In fact, you'll find there is probably someone out there who is amazing at it.

Plus, I was going on a concrete stretch, which is much safer than asphalt. I used to track race (well, with myself) too but it got repetitive. Cones and fast turns and sudden inconveniences, that kind of stuff. Also, I found it wasn't all that much prep, since roads were generally much crummier than a track, and they weren't empty. That was my main incentive, to be able to handle the real roads better.
160 is very fast. I don't know that I would ever want to go that fast. 125 is fast, but it is still a speed that most kids can hit on a big road (to top out their car) and walk away from. 160-200...that's for serious drivers. One slight slip-up and you're resurfacing the road.

The advice on this thread is pretty much spot on.

First of all, you need to grow out of doing stuff like this.

Yes, nearly everyone does it when they are young.

During my first few years, when I was assigned to highway patrol, I drove like a madman to every serious call (accident with injuries, man with a gun, etc)

Pretty soon, I realized that what I was doing was incredibly stupid. Roughly 75% percent of the time sensitive calls I was dispatched to ended up either being unfounded or much less serious than reported. Since that point, I only pushed that hard when the call was confirmed (e.g. another cop already on the scene). Even in those cases, you can't help anyone if you don't get there alive yourself.

Lecture over.

With regard to the charge, if you confirm that you were only charged with a violation (not a misdemeanor), applications do not require that you disclose this information (with the aforementioned exemption of UVM).My advice to you is as follows . . .

1) Confirm that the charge is a violation only. If it is, you can try to plea it down yourself (I don't know much about GA courts). If the charge is a misdemeanor, you need to hire an attorney to plea it down to a violation. You do NOT want to have a misdemeanor on your record.

2) Learn from your experience!

Yeah, they will ask. It seems reckless to drive that fast. They will think, "Now, what other shenanigans will he do if he's accepted?"

Would you want a surgeon working on you who had a history of such careless disregard for his safety and that of others?

LOL. yea, because someone speeds they're a bad doc. you people are hilarious. my dad got pulled over going 110 in a 60 on his ducati. in a group of 50 radiologists he's top 5 in productivity. get a grip people, doctors aren't ****ing saints.

Speeding is dangerous.

If you want to know how serious it is and how badly you could be injured, google Porsche girl.

Back when I was a resident, a friend of mine, a fellow resident, was killed in a car accident because of speeding and alcohol. The car slid off the road and was ripped in half by a tree, and every occupant was killed except for the driver.

I don't mean to belittle this tragedy, and this is unfortunate and happens far too often, but I think the alcohol was more at fault than anything else.

I have done some fast driving in my life, but IMO I am safe about it.

If someone was driving a car at 150mph on a public highway in the US with no other members of the general public in front of him for a mile - who's life is said person risking? There is a safe way to speed, and plenty of people do it safely. The key is removing external variables such as: Deer, onramps, Trucks, and other cars. Excluding uncontrollable variables that cause crashes, speeding can be safer than driving in downtown traffic.

My response to porsche girl,

Nicole Catsouras, 18, lost control of a black Porsche 911 Carrera while attempting to pass another vehicle at more than 100 mph, California Highway Patrol officials said.

I couldn't find the original source of this tragic story, but according to photos I have seen this seems accurate.

The key factor in this accident : lost control while attempting to pass another car at >100mph near a toll booth.

Last edited:
Pray you get a lenient judge and hope you got a good lawyer.

One of my friends got busted doing 105 in a 70 (I5 between LA and Bay Area). $1500 fine and 6 month suspension. Judge was being nice with the fine and suspension too.

I'm a little puzzled by those who wouldn't want this guy to be their doctor. First, he has a sweet ride which he manages to drive quite fast without getting into accidents. Ergo, steady hands, good control, good luck.

Second, he's managed to escape getting arrested while driving -WAY- over the speed limit. Ergo, tactful, socially intelligent, able to keep his cool in a stressful situation.

So, yeah...you can operate on me any day.

I'm a little puzzled by those who wouldn't want this guy to be their doctor. First, he has a sweet ride which he manages to drive quite fast without getting into accidents. Ergo, steady hands, good control, good luck.

Second, he's managed to escape getting arrested while driving -WAY- over the speed limit. Ergo, tactful, socially intelligent, able to keep his cool in a stressful situation.

I'd rather be operated on by someone who follows all the rules, guidelines, and safety regulations.

Forbes said:
If someone was driving a car at 150mph on a public highway in the US with no other members of the general public in front of him for a mile - who's life is said person risking?
If you crash:

1. The people behind you.
2. Oncoming traffic that may notice your crash, slow to look, and cause an accident of their own.
3. Tax payer's money for someone to dial 911, the cops/firefights to show up, someone to clean up your wreckage and install new guardrails.

The advice on this thread is pretty much spot on.

First of all, you need to grow out of doing stuff like this.

Yes, nearly everyone does it when they are young.

During my first few years, when I was assigned to highway patrol, I drove like a madman to every serious call (accident with injuries, man with a gun, etc)

Pretty soon, I realized that what I was doing was incredibly stupid. Roughly 75% percent of the time sensitive calls I was dispatched to ended up either being unfounded or much less serious than reported. Since that point, I only pushed that hard when the call was confirmed (e.g. another cop already on the scene). Even in those cases, you can't help anyone if you don't get there alive yourself.

Lecture over.

With regard to the charge, if you confirm that you were only charged with a violation (not a misdemeanor), applications do not require that you disclose this information (with the aforementioned exemption of UVM).My advice to you is as follows . . .

1) Confirm that the charge is a violation only. If it is, you can try to plea it down yourself (I don't know much about GA courts). If the charge is a misdemeanor, you need to hire an attorney to plea it down to a violation. You do NOT want to have a misdemeanor on your record.

2) Learn from your experience!

Thanks for the advise, Officer :D I really appreciate that. I will definitely do everything you recommend. GA courts are quite good about plea-ing down traffic violations. Some of the smaller rural cities especially, are prone to dropping your points and hitting you with a nasty fine instead.
Good luck with the apps and keep safe till then.

LOL. yea, because someone speeds they're a bad doc. you people are hilarious. my dad got pulled over going 110 in a 60 on his ducati. in a group of 50 radiologists he's top 5 in productivity. get a grip people, doctors aren't ****ing saints.

Some of the most brilliant people I know are up to their neck with speeding tickets. And they'll be building skyscrapers, rockets, planes, bridges, cars, etc.

Hehe thanks! Sounds about right to me! :thumbup: Good luck with your studies man.

Sure beats the hell out of a felony, but do you think a Misdemeanor is going to keep someone from Med School? I mean yea a serious one would but a speeding ticket or underage drinking isn't going to hurt you.

Whats your take on it?

Misdemeanors are a joke. In my state you can be charged with a misdemeanor for failing to update your address on your driver's license after moving.

the more i read this thread the more i'm put off by the OP's jock-o entitled attitude.

nah not on a public road. i've maxed out the bimmer a few times on public and taken the race car out once, im sure i was in the 150-160 range then. track was 200

You seem to desire a pat on the back for your job well done. In general do you enjoy disobeying the law and risking innocent people’s lives around you?

Tire blow-outs are an issue if you're running the stock tires/similar to stock-spec tires on your vehicle -- that electronic speed governor? Its value is based on the speed rating of the tires sold with that vehicle.

@OP: I think you're fine...just use lawyer + offer to do probation/saturday safety classes or whatnot to get it reduced. I got my charges dropped to 5 over, limited access, 0 points and $150.00.

If there's any doubt about speeding tickets being a pure revenue stream, I paid online, using PayPal. :rolleyes: Yay justice!

the more i read this thread the more i'm put off by the OP's jock-o entitled attitude.

Agreed. I'm not going to go as far as a few people in this thread and pull out the "you're going to be a bad doc" line, but I will say this - OP: It's time to grow up.

You may be perfectly capable of driving a car 125 safely in a controlled situation. Yes, people do it every day on the autobahn, blah blah. But you weren't on the autobahn - you were on a s***ty highway in south Georgia (I grew up in Georgia, I know what the road conditions are like), where everyone else on the road was going 40-50 mph slower. You may have been in control, but as you point out, not everyone is blessed with your amazing driving skills. You never know when someone else on the road is going to do something stupid.

Yes, racing is fun; driving fast is fun. But driving on the highway and commuting on a day to day basis is about getting from point A to point B safely; it isn't racing - someday hopefully you'll realize that and cut out the adolescent stuff like cutting people off, shoulder passing, etc, etc that you're bragging about in your thread.

You're already staring down some serious potential consequences of your actions - the least of which is the fine and license suspension. This ticket probably won't affect your chances of getting into medical school, but if you keep doing the same stuff it very well might affect your career down the line (the standards for medical licensure are as or more stringent than those for getting in med school in the first place)

Though they do, schools really shouldn't ask about infractions at all. Infractions only require preponderance of evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt. Thus, the judge will most likely just take the officer's word for it, while he would have to be more rigorous to establish beyond a reasonable doubt.

Agreed. I'm not going to go as far as a few people in this thread and pull out the "you're going to be a bad doc" line, but I will say this - OP: It's time to grow up.

You may be perfectly capable of driving a car 125 safely in a controlled situation. Yes, people do it every day on the autobahn, blah blah. But you weren't on the autobahn - you were on a s***ty highway in south Georgia (I grew up in Georgia, I know what the road conditions are like), where everyone else on the road was going 40-50 mph slower. You may have been in control, but as you point out, not everyone is blessed with your amazing driving skills. You never know when someone else on the road is going to do something stupid.

Yes, racing is fun; driving fast is fun. But driving on the highway and commuting on a day to day basis is about getting from point A to point B safely; it isn't racing - someday hopefully you'll realize that and cut out the adolescent stuff like cutting people off, shoulder passing, etc, etc that you're bragging about in your thread.

You're already staring down some serious potential consequences of your actions - the least of which is the fine and license suspension. This ticket probably won't affect your chances of getting into medical school, but if you keep doing the same stuff it very well might affect your career down the line (the standards for medical licensure are as or more stringent than those for getting in med school in the first place)

You're right that I need to cut out on the fast driving, but your other points are in direct contradiction with my posts. Firstly, I specifically said I have never shoulder passed. I have not bragged about anything. I was not on some "s***ty highway in south Georgia", I was on a 6-lane concrete stretch of interstate (in South Georgia), and IMO I don't cut people off (maybe annoy them a little bit with a slightly closer than usual pass, but far from cutting them off). I do, however, get cut off everyday (the guilty being totally oblivious to it) and I'm really sick of it.

I'm not sure why people think I have an "entitled" attitude. Just because I'm confident and show some pro-activity I'm "entitled"? What is "''jock-o"'?

You're right that I need to cut out on the fast driving, but your other points are in direct contradiction with my posts. Firstly, I specifically said I have never shoulder passed. I have not bragged about anything. I was not on some "s***ty highway in south Georgia", I was on a 6-lane concrete stretch of interstate (in South Georgia), and IMO I don't cut people off (maybe annoy them a little bit with a slightly closer than usual pass, but far from cutting them off). I do, however, get cut off everyday (the guilty being totally oblivious to it) and I'm really sick of it.

I'm not sure why people think I have an "entitled" attitude. Just because I'm confident and show some pro-activity I'm "entitled"? What is "''jock-o"'?

Sorry if I attributed a specific behavior to you that you didn't claim - I read through the 80 some odd posts rather briefly.

However, when I read something like this:

Yeah, some people are just overly righteous. When they see you do a driving manuever they don't have the skill and confidence to even attempt, they get pissed off at you and start honking and yelling and giving you the finger. Then they drive next to another car for 10 miles, at the speed limit. Then they make a turn and cut halfway into the next lane. Then they talk on their cell phone and eat MacDonalds and drink coffee while listening to the radio. Then they spill it all over themselves when I manage to squeeze between them and the person they were driving next to for the last 10 miles, because I didn't give them the 10ft padding they expect from everyone. Then they get pissed off and start tailing me and waving their arms and blinking their lights. It's all very depressing.

It tells me you have a very juvenile attitude when it comes to driving. You clearly enjoy driving aggressively and appear to take pleasure in pissing other drivers off while you look down your nose at them. That is why I said grow up, and that is why others are giving you a hard time about your attitude.

How can you not agree how f***ed up everyone else's driving is in this post.

haha this thread makes it so easy to separate the type A's and type B personalities..

or at least sounds like some of you guys have never driven in the middle of nowhere interstate highway..

lol, i've gone 115 in my MINIVAN before. sigh.. i can't wait to have a sweet car. (i've mellowed out nowadays)

and i agree with dendwrite about you bein a good doctor.

my advice: (i don't think anyone else mentioned it, and really the best advice) get yourself a cobra radar detector. or at least find a friend that has a good radar and borrow it for road trips (or the occasional street race)

Yeah seems like someone who knows what needs to be done, and then does it despite the odds that others are unwilling to undertake. Sounds absolutely terrible on paper... not to mention he would probably be shunned in the medical community... but still if you are an inch away from death and there are two surgeons on call that can operate on you, I'd rather have the one with madd skillz and confidence to take a risk.