Multiple state licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenshi01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May of this year. I currently live in PA but I'm also looking to work in CA. I'm in the process right now of looking for PT positions in both states. Would it be better to just apply for a PA state license first and then a CA state license after I pass my boards OR should I apply to both at once? I know the state of CA also requires me to take a jurisprudence exam as well. My plan is to work right after I pass my boards in July. Any advice???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm graduating in May of this year. I currently live in PA but I'm also looking to work in CA. I'm in the process right now of looking for PT positions in both states. Would it be better to just apply for a PA state license first and then a CA state license after I pass my boards OR should I apply to both at once? I know the state of CA also requires me to take a jurisprudence exam as well. My plan is to work right after I pass my boards in July. Any advice???

Apply for both now. If you apply for the CA license today you will have your license in mid-July at best, but probably August or September. They take their time in that state.

I'm hoping more states jump on that new licensing collaborative, where collaborating states recognize each other's licenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply for both now. If you apply for the CA license today you will have your license in mid-July at best, but probably August or September. They take their time in that state.
It doesn't take THAT long. I applied for my license on July 24th and had it on September 1st. You just need to make sure your application for licensure is complete.

Am I allowed to send the licensure application to BOTH states now? I know I can only register for the one jurisdiction for the examination. Or am I only allowed to apply for one state now and transfer after my examination??

Am I allowed to send the licensure application to BOTH states now? I know I can only register for the one jurisdiction for the examination. Or am I only allowed to apply for one state now and transfer after my examination??

You can apply for licensure in both states at the same time. You don't need to wait.

Be absolutely certain that your CA application is complete or it will be delayed (details on what constitutes a complete application can be found on the CA PT board website).

You can apply for licensure in both states at the same time. You don't need to wait.

Be absolutely certain that your CA application is complete or it will be delayed (details on what constitutes a complete application can be found on the CA PT board website).

Thank you!!! If I send in both licensure application, and let's say I take the exam under PA, but I find a job in CA. Would I just have to transfer only my NPTE score over???

Thank you!!! If I send in both licensure application, and let's say I take the exam under PA, but I find a job in CA. Would I just have to transfer only my NPTE score over???

This is how it worked for me: I submitted my WA application in ~April 2015. I took boards on July 22nd with WA as my jurisdiction. Submitted my CA application on July 24th. Found out passing status for boards on July 29th. Had my NPTE score report sent to the CA board on July 30th. Received CA PTLA status (interim license) on August 10th. Took the CA jurisprudence exam on August 14th and found out passing status for that on August 15th (the very next day). My WA license posted on August 19th. My CA license posted on the PTBC website on September 1st.

I never had any intention of working in WA, I only submitted the application for WA because I wanted to take boards in July (otherwise, I would have had to wait until October to sit with CA as my jurisdiction). So in your case, you'll sit for boards with PA as your jurisdiction, and you will need to have the FSBPT send your score report to CA in order for them to continue processing your CA application and give you a CA PT license.

This is how it worked for me: I submitted my WA application in ~April 2015. I took boards on July 22nd with WA as my jurisdiction. Submitted my CA application on July 24th. Found out passing status for boards on July 29th. Had my NPTE score report sent to the CA board on July 30th. Received CA PTLA status (interim license) on August 10th. Took the CA jurisprudence exam on August 14th and found out passing status for that on August 15th (the very next day). My WA license posted on August 19th. My CA license posted on the PTBC website on September 1st.

I never had any intention of working in WA, I only submitted the application for WA because I wanted to take boards in July (otherwise, I would have had to wait until October to sit with CA as my jurisdiction). So in your case, you'll sit for boards with PA as your jurisdiction, and you will need to have the FSBPT send your score report to CA in order for them to continue processing your CA application and give you a CA PT license.

Thank you for the help! I really wish they would make it easier for us.

Actually one more question. On the P1E form, it says that the PTBC "must receive the Certificate of Completion with the application for licensure in an officially sealed envelope by the registrar or program director completing this form." So does that mean the school sends in the complete application (P1E, application for licensure, fingerprints, fee) for us?

Last edited:
Actually one more question. On the P1E form, it says that the PTBC "must receive the Certificate of Completion with the application for licensure in an officially sealed envelope by the registrar or program director completing this form." So does that mean the school sends in the complete application (P1E, application for licensure, fingerprints, fee) for us?

No. Ask the registrar to send you the P1E, and then include the P1E with the rest of the application.

BTW, I sent my application six weeks ago and CA still hasn't given me permission to take the CLE. They must have a lot of applications. Of course, they deposited my check and took my money.

No. Ask the registrar to send you the P1E, and then include the P1E with the rest of the application.

BTW, I sent my application six weeks ago and CA still hasn't given me permission to take the CLE. They must have a lot of applications. Of course, they deposited my check and took my money.

Tenshi01: I agree with NewTestament. Have your registrar send you the P1E in an officially sealed school envelope, then you can put it in with your application. What my registrar did was send the P1E to me in a sealed+stamped school envelope that was within a manila envelope. So all I had to do was take the sealed+stamped envelope out of the manila envelope and include it in my application package to the PTBC.

NewTestament: Yeah, they'll definitely deposit your money as soon as they get it! Go figure... :eyebrow: they should be sending you a letter fairly soon saying that they have received your application/granting PTLA status/something to that effect. Make sure you have already paid for the CLE via FSBPT. That way, the PTBC knows that you have already paid for it and then they'll grant you jurisdictional approval, which will show up on the FSBPT website.

Tenshi01: I agree with NewTestament. Have your registrar send you the P1E in an officially sealed school envelope, then you can put it in with your application. What my registrar did was send the P1E to me in a sealed+stamped school envelope that was within a manila envelope. So all I had to do was take the sealed+stamped envelope out of the manila envelope and include it in my application package to the PTBC.

NewTestament: Yeah, they'll definitely deposit your money as soon as they get it! Go figure... :eyebrow: they should be sending you a letter fairly soon saying that they have received your application/granting PTLA status/something to that effect. Make sure you have already paid for the CLE via FSBPT. That way, the PTBC knows that you have already paid for it and then they'll grant you jurisdictional approval, which will show up on the FSBPT website.

So I literally just saw now that there are deadlines for the application (http://www.ptbc.ca.gov/licensees/fsbpt.shtml). But is this just if you are testing under CA, because I'll be testing under PA.
And thank you so much for answering all my questions btw! Much appreciated :)