Multiple waitlist...due to poor interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ehwic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is having multiple WL an indication of bad interviewing skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Potentially, but it depends on the schools, if you're waitlisted at a bunch of low yield schools or those which are known to WL, it would be less a reflection of your skills and more of the school's selection process.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you want the blunt answer or a sugar coated answer?

It's definitely not an indication of good interviewing skills, but it does not necessarily mean you're bad. How many are we talking about here, though? 2 WL's is not the same as 5. Moreover, schools like Loyola who accept over 70% of applicants are way different than a Georgetown who accepts around 30%. Without # of WLs and school names it's impossible to know.

Either fork up the info or get generic answers that don't mean anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap, well here's MY situation: I've had 6 IIs and attended 5 of the interviews so far. I interviewed at West Virginia and Albany very early in the cycle (within the first month of interviews) and are waitlisted at both of those schools. BUT, both schools basically said that you should expect to be waitlisted because they are very conservative with acceptances this early yada yada. West Virginia I don't know how I could have interviewed any better since during both 20-minute interviews they were basically just talking up the school and trying to sell it to me rather than asking me questions. I asked many more questions than they asked me.

Stony Brook interviewed me in October, and I just found out today that I'm WL'd there as well. This one hurt a lot more since I really thought my odds of outright acceptance were good. I guess I just suck at interviewing? I smile, make eye contact, have not been at all overly nervous, am decent looking and overall have always held pretty good, comfortable conversation with all of my interviewers. This sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
have you consulted others about your answers to interview questions? maybe try asking someone - anyone really, but perhaps premed or med students can give you the best feedback - these are what I'd say to why medicine, why this school, best clinical experience etc. and ask them what they thought of your answer.

sometimes we're inaccurate judges of our own character and first impressions because we know what we'd like to get across. sometimes it just doesn't translate.

then again, it could just be bad luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you want the blunt answer or a sugar coated answer?

It's definitely not an indication of good interviewing skills, but it does not necessarily mean you're bad. How many are we talking about here, though? 2 WL's is not the same as 5. Moreover, schools like Loyola who accept over 70% of applicants are way different than a Georgetown who accepts around 30%. Without # of WLs and school names it's impossible to know.

Either fork up the info or get generic answers that don't mean anything.
have you consulted others about your answers to interview questions? maybe try asking someone - anyone really, but perhaps premed or med students can give you the best feedback - these are what I'd say to why medicine, why this school, best clinical experience etc. and ask them what they thought of your answer.

sometimes we're inaccurate judges of our own character and first impressions because we know what we'd like to get across. sometimes it just doesn't translate.

then again, it could just be bad luck.

Yeah I had the opportunity to do so with a local med student. That was prior to the start of the application and I know I had to brush up on my answers to the common questions. Im in the process of reaching out to more students to get a second opinon on those answers again.

Crap, well here's MY situation: I've had 6 IIs and attended 5 of the interviews so far. I interviewed at West Virginia and Albany very early in the cycle (within the first month of interviews) and are waitlisted at both of those schools. BUT, both schools basically said that you should expect to be waitlisted because they are very conservative with acceptances this early yada yada. West Virginia I don't know how I could have interviewed any better since during both 20-minute interviews they were basically just talking up the school and trying to sell it to me rather than asking me questions. I asked many more questions than they asked me.

Stony Brook interviewed me in October, and I just found out today that I'm WL'd there as well. This one hurt a lot more since I really thought my odds of outright acceptance were good. I guess I just suck at interviewing? I smile, make eye contact, have not been at all overly nervous, am decent looking and overall have always held pretty good, comfortable conversation with all of my interviewers. This sucks.

yeah I think we need to improve on our interview answers.

Also investigate whether the school rejects anyone post interview. In other words, are you good enough to be waitlisted instead of rejected? or is your waitlist a nice way of being rejected?

You never know; I have four acceptances and four WLs, they definitely break down along the USNWR rankings in terms of the higher ranking being WL and the lower being accepted. I heard back earlier from the higher rated schools and thought there was something wrong w/me, then once I heard back from the others things started to make sense w/the competitiveness factor. You've still got decisions out there so don't feel too hard, just get ready for the next one!

You never know; I have four acceptances and four WLs, they definitely break down along the USNWR rankings in terms of the higher ranking being WL and the lower being accepted. I heard back earlier from the higher rated schools and thought there was something wrong w/me, then once I heard back from the others things started to make sense w/the competitiveness factor. You've still got decisions out there so don't feel too hard, just get ready for the next one!
Thank you for that encouragement. I have been floating along in an almost constant good mood since I was so confident that with 6 IIs alrdy, I'm BOUND to get into somewhere, but the WL I received today made my attitude come crashing down. Now I just have to get back up and look towards the one remaining interview I currently have scheduled. I have to remind myself that my odds of getting an acceptance based on where I currently stand are still very good, but I should give it my all at this next interview!

Stony brook has a 55% post interview acceptance so a wait list isn't the end of the world.

If it makes you feel any better, I got ten II, attended 7 and received 4 rejections.

If you're OOS for WVU, I am not surprised. I faced the same situation and likely would have been accepted if i was IS. They accept only so many OOS students and I think a majority end up on the WL because of this. Albany, idk what went wrong there. Honestly, i'm not sure what went wrong at any of them. We're our worst judges, unfortunately. If you can find a school that is receptive to post interview feedback so you have an idea, do it. Don't even ask Albany, they won't tell you until the cycle is over.

Stony brook has a 55% post interview acceptance so a wait list isn't the end of the world.
True, but according to the MSAR they only accept about 1/4th from their waitlist, so effectively my odds of getting in went from 55% pre I to 25% post I. :/

True, but according to the MSAR they only accept about 1/4th from their waitlist, so effectively my odds of getting in went from 55% pre I to 25% post I. :/
atta boy!

Im 3/4 for being UC. Let's see what this last school thinks of me.

Is it possible that people in the WL for schools are due less competitive metrics rather than interviewing poorly?

Is it possible that people in the WL for schools are due less competitive metrics rather than interviewing poorly?

Yes, definitely. For TCOM, they explained that numbers will get you 5 points, and non-cognitive attributes will get you the other 5. Students will get ratings from a committee from 0-10 and the ones that made the cutoff will be offer an acceptance. My interviewer said he'll give me great comments, but it won't guarantee me an acceptance since he won't be on my committee. I potentially can get a committee that favors stats heavily.

Yes. They reevaluate your application as a whole. If you had any weak spots before, they can come back and hurt you later (for example, a poorly written PS). They saw something in you to want to interview you, but post-interview, they evaluate everything as a whole.