Murphy's Law of Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ski2bOD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share this story with everyone to hopefully aliviate any anxiety people have before interviewing, because things could always be worse.

I had the opportunity to interview at ICO yesturday. I took advantage of staying in the Resident Complex, mostly because it was free, but I was able to meet a few students so that was cool. After eating dinner and watching a little TV I decided to try to get to bed early to be rested for the day ahead. We had to be at the admissions office at 9am, so I figured by getting up by 7:30 I should have sufficient time to get dressed, eat, etc.

So, for those of you that haven't been to the ICO dorms let me fill you in. They are suite style, meaning there is a hallway as you enter with three doors, one bathroom and two bedrooms. Each of the doors require a key to get in (main door and bedrooms). I kinda think this is a bit overkill, but my opinion is a bit biased as you will soon see.

The morning of the interview I woke up on time, a bit groggy, I grabbed my bathkit and hopped in the shower. After standing in the dorm shower for five minutes or so I begin to remember the stories of people getting nasty foot fuguses because of not wearing sandels. I look down at my bare feet and I quickly decide that I am clean enough, and jump out. At that moment I realize I have no towel :confused: . Sopping wet I search the bathroom, but all I can find is toliet paper. After contemplating how much toliet paper it would take to dry myself, I opt for using one of my t-shirts.

I am not sure what the "t" in t-shirt stands for but I can vouch that it isn't towel. After doing my best to dry off with my makeshift towel, I put on my pajama bottoms and went back to the bathroom to continue to get ready for the interview. Feeling a bit like McGyver, I admit I was proud of myself for my quick thinking. After avioding cutting myself while shaving and drowning while brushing my teeth I left the bathroom to go get dressed.

I turned the doornob of the bedroom. Nothing happens. I turn it the other direction. Nothing happens. I had locked myself out of my room half naked :eek: . As my heart sank into a pool of embarassment I thought, "what would McGyver do"?

I remembered that there was a phone in the lounge. It was early enough in the morning so no one should be up. I could just run down to the lounge, call security, and run back to the room. :idea: Perfect! O Contrair. Seems as though everyone had a test that morning. I weaved my way through sleep deprived 1st years to get to the lounge , called security, and sheepishly explained my situation. "I'll be right over", he said. I tried to sneak back to my room as inconspiculously as a half naked boy can. I got back to find insult added to injury, I was now locked out of the whole suite.

I tried to blend into the wallpaper as I waited for security to arrive :idea: . At least I gave everyone going class that morning something to talk about. When the security arrived, he tried to tell me that this happens all the time. I smiled, dissappeared back into my room, and cursed the keys staring at me from the desk.

Although I wouldn't want to go through it again I guess everything happens for a reason. To my surprise the rest of the day went rather smooth. So remember, even though the interview process feels horrible at the time, things could always be worse. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow... and I thought I had it tough because my interview fell on a notoriously bad hair day!!! I hope everything works out for you. Did you like ICO???

yeah, oh my gosh what a day! i'm glad it all worked out for you - ICO is a wonderful school so i am told. i wish you the best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one too...but luckily it wasn't me!

A girl interviewing at SCO was staying with a friend and the morning of her interview went out to her car to get something out of it. The apt. door locked behind her leaving her only her purse and car keys. Her friend was at work and she was unable to get ahold of her. She went to the interview in a t-shirt and jeans and no makeup. The good news is that she got accepted! :)

ski2bOD said:
I remembered that there was a phone in the lounge. It was early enough in the morning so no one should be up. I could just run down to the lounge, call security, and run back to the room. :idea: Perfect! O Contrair. Seems as though everyone had a test that morning. I weaved my way through sleep deprived 1st years to get to the lounge , called security, and sheepishly explained my situation. "I'll be right over", he said. I tried to sneak back to my room as inconspiculously as a half naked boy can. I got back to find insult added to injury, I was now locked out of the whole suite.
QUOTE]

Wow. I hope you were at least eye candy. :laugh:

I also stayed at the RC and was so paranoid of that same thing happening to me! At least you survived the whole ordeal and have a great story to tell! :laugh:

To answer some of your questions

prettygreeneyes, i loved everything about ICO! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The facilities were very impressive and it is very cool that everything (labs, lecutres hall, and clinic) are in one building. I am very anxious to hear back from them!

3eb4me, i'd like to think so ;)

if Lucia who inverviewed the same day as I did is reading this post, I meant to ask you after our tour, etc. how you thought NECO compared to ICO. message me back if you get a chance, thanks! :)

Yep...you've got to push the little knob in the inside of the door or it will lock on you:)

Funny story:)

Eyegirl2k7.

if Lucia who inverviewed the same day as I did is reading this post, I meant to ask you after our tour, etc. how you thought NECO compared to ICO. message me back if you get a chance, thanks! :)[/QUOTE]

Hey, im actually having an extremely difficult time deciding between NECO and ICO. they both have great programs, although a little different, in my opinion. I loooove Boston, and in my experience the people there were very friendly. However, chicago will definitely be a little cheaper, and i like the fact that i would see more interesting cases than i might at NECO. however... im from the midwest and like the idea of going somewhere outside of it.... so really i have no idea, and the two schools were pretty comparable in friendliness, the programs themselves, etc. So yeah that didnt answer your question, but if you or anyone else have anything that may help me with my decision, PLEASE let me know!!!! good luck to everyone else applying now!

~L

LooshOTH said:
if Lucia who inverviewed the same day as I did is reading this post, I meant to ask you after our tour, etc. how you thought NECO compared to ICO. message me back if you get a chance, thanks! :)

Hey, im actually having an extremely difficult time deciding between NECO and ICO. they both have great programs, although a little different, in my opinion. I loooove Boston, and in my experience the people there were very friendly. However, chicago will definitely be a little cheaper, and i like the fact that i would see more interesting cases than i might at NECO. however... im from the midwest and like the idea of going somewhere outside of it.... so really i have no idea, and the two schools were pretty comparable in friendliness, the programs themselves, etc. So yeah that didnt answer your question, but if you or anyone else have anything that may help me with my decision, PLEASE let me know!!!! good luck to everyone else applying now!

~L[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I just got back from my inverview at SUNY and they already told me I was accepted. So I am going to have to decide between SUNY and ICO. I thought both programs were pretty comprable so its going to be a tough decision. Although SUNY has cheaper tuition, the cost of living in New York makes it close to the costs of ICO. Its hard because there is no single thing, for me, that makes one school better than the other....so dont worry I am in the same situation :)

ski2bOD said:

~L

I know how you feel. I just got back from my inverview at SUNY and they already told me I was accepted. So I am going to have to decide between SUNY and ICO. I thought both programs were pretty comprable so its going to be a tough decision. Although SUNY has cheaper tuition, the cost of living in New York makes it close to the costs of ICO. Its hard because there is no single thing, for me, that makes one school better than the other....so dont worry I am in the same situation :)[/QUOTE]