MUSC Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninja100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I've been accepted at the Medical University of South Carolina-Charleston DPT program. I really want to go but the tuition is rediculously high at 33,000/yr. I was also accepted at ECU which is only 8,000 per year. Does anyone here have experience with MUSC and ways to finance it. I don't want to get a ton of loans that will put me in debt. I'm looking for possible grants or programs where you can work in south carolina or the charleston area after graduating to have some of your loans forgiven. I would really appreciate any help. If these options aren't available I will most likely have to decline MUSC and go with ECU.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you not like ECU's program? 99k v. 24k is a huge difference.

you also have to consider cost of living in both areas. in my opinion u should go with the cheaper school, just because the other one is expensive doesnt mean its better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to MUSC (and loved it) however am from NC and wish I had applied to ECU. Now that I'm paying back my loans I regret not trying to get into a cheap in-state school.

FYI MUSC's in-state tuition is not very cheap either, especially when compared to ECU. Congrats on both of your acceptances!

Are you paying your loans back in full, or were you able to get any forgiveable loans?

This should be a complete no brainer for you, and I honestly wonder why you are even contemplating this?

I'm a SC resident and I am planning on applying to both MUSC and ECU this coming cycle.

MUSC in state is not much better than out of state either. You might as well just say it's 85k total, for tuition and all their other fees.

The worst part of MUSC is the cost of living in the Charleston area. Unless you're willing to drive at the very least an hour to and from school everyday, expect your cost of living to be ridiculously high also. It's easily another ~$50k for all three years just in that

I see a lot of people on this forum not factoring their cost of living in when they're comparing the cost of schools

This is all assuming you have absolutely no student loan debt left over from your undergraduate degree.

I am honestly considering only applying to schools with very low tuition, like ECU, and just dropping MUSC all together. Tuition alone was the whole reason I took so many schools like Augustine and Duke off my application lists. Even if I got in, I ask myself, "do I really want to go?"

I constantly ask myself "Why would I spend 150k+ for a career that only pays ~60-65k average starting?"

When you start getting near the $200k mark in debt, your interest alone is going to be nearing a significant amount of your yearly physical therapy salary.

The point of getting an education and working is so you can enjoy life better. On the other hand, if you go too deep into debt, it's the other way around, you're just living to work at that point

A lot of people go to expensive schools and they manage. They all find a way to pay off their debt. Charleston is really nice and MUSC is a really good school for PT. Go where you feel you fit better, if it's the more expensive school then maybe that is where you are supposed to be. Good luck with your decision.

FYI MUSC's in-state tuition is not very cheap either, especially when compared to ECU. Congrats on both of your acceptances!

Definitely not cheap. Especially with tuition costs increasing every year. Good luck on your decision.