MUSC vs. USC- Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WontGiveUp90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am deciding between MUSC and USC-Greenville, I'm really torn and would love to just talk it out and hear what people have to say. Sorry for the long post.

A few things: the specialties I'm most interested are Trauma Surgery, Neurosurgery, EM, ENT/Neurotology, or Interv. Neurorad.; I know that may change but I probably want to go into something competitive. I love research, both basic science and clinical, and want to be involved throughout medical school. Also, my fiance lives and works in Charlotte (1:30 from Greenville & 3:00 from Charleston). I also may want to match out of state.

MUSC:
Pros:
- Huge amounts of research funding and many projects that really interest me.. +++++
- Offered me a small 1-year scholarship, more scholarships are available to M2, M3, and M4's. +
- Really like the curriculum (exams every 6 weeks, integrated, 40-week) ++
- Fun culture, students and faculty make jokes at each other, seemed like my type of people. +++
- Networking: bigger school and hospital with more connections. +++
- Better (out of state) recognition and reputation ++
- Charleston is an incredible city, I love the beach and everything about it. +++++
- Match list is more impressive than Greenville +++
- Larger institution, has a campus feel as well as more support resources and student organizations. ++

Cons:
- Further from my fiance. - - -
- A little bit of an air of superiority and seems a little more competitive. - -
- Has little space dedicated to the medical school (i.e. use dental and graduate lecture halls). -

USC- Greenville
Pros:
- Offered me a big scholarship (total cost $44k cheaper than MUSC). +++++
- Brand new, state-of-the-art facility. ++++
- Really feels like a family, people care about each other. I really liked everyone I met. ++++
- Greenville is a really cool city, has more of a young professional and liberal feel. ++
- Pretty close to my fiance, could see each other most weekends. ++++
- Love the focus on lifestyle medicine. ++
- The school has been incredibly helpful and has made me feel really welcome. +

Cons:
- Has less research and research funding, especially in basic sciences. - - - - -
- More people seem to match in the region, less competitive matches. - - -
- Dress code. - -
- New school, may still be figuring things out. -
- Most doctors I ask for opinions (outside of SC) have never heard of the school. - -

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MUSC. Does USC greenville have any of the residencies you are interested in as home programs?

Reactions: 1 user
MUSC. Does USC greenville have any of the residencies you are interested in as home programs?
The only one's Greenville has are EM and gen surg. But MUSC has residency programs and fellowships in everything I'm interested in (except neurotology, which is a little strange cause the hospital is ranked 14 for ENT).

Having a home program is a big deal if you are interested in those surgical subspecialties. Sounds like MUSC is a better fit.

Reactions: 1 user