MUSC vs. Wake Forest vs. EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandimd

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, can I get some opinions on these schools and how they rank compared to some other places. I am in the midwest, I want to go south, I've gotten interviews at all of these schools and I was just wondering what are the thoughts out there.
Thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

alrighty, just a few bits of knowledge I've gotten on WFU and MUSC from attendings and residents...

WFU - still a little stodgy and old school. Did not fill last year for the first time in a long time - didn't make their match list long enough, quickly filled that spot in the scramble. The PD at my school wasn't very high on their program, but I have a couple friends who are there and are pretty happy with their training.

MUSC -- an up and coming program (read not quite as strong as some other programs in south). Did not fill a couple of years ago. Residents are generally reasonably happy, many young enthusiastic attendings

I know that MUSC tends to be very preferential towards South Carolina Residents, an entering class tends to be around 90% in-state. However, while not presitigious, the people I've talked to coming out of Charleston tend to be very excited about medicine and happy with where they went.

EVMS is another up-and-coming that hasn't yet established a US News Top Ten ranking, but is also a very friendly place. EVMS has a VERY strong peds program (two hospitals basically on-site, one is exclusively a children's hospital). Students out of there tend to be also very happy with their choice of school and the enviroment there.

Both places have good top three match percents... both upper 90% of students got one of their top three choices. However, my observation is that students from there tend to be less interested in going to the very hard to get residencies. These two schools are more for people how choose residencies based on their own likes and dislikes, not on how well the program is ranked nationally.

Disclaimer: These are merely my meager observations. If I'm mistaken anywhere, please comment so I can learn of my errors.

carol ann said:
WFU - still a little stodgy and old school. Did not fill last year for the first time in a long time - didn't make their match list long enough, quickly filled that spot in the scramble. The PD at my school wasn't very high on their program, but I have a couple friends who are there and are pretty happy with their training.

From my first hand experience, I would say not true. I am incredibly happy that I ended up here. Didn't fill last year -- I would say that was an anomaly. Those spots were filled with high-quality people in the scramble. They are taking recruiting very seriously this year.

There is the added advantage of being an academic program operating inside a nice, proffittable, private hospital. Disadvantage for some might be the location. Great if you're married/with family. Not so great if you want to go clubbing post call. Winston-Salem is a great, CHEAP, place to live but not everyone's cup of tea.