Music Major 66% Chance of MD Acceptance!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFamilyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read hear:

http://www.amc-music.com/research_briefs.htm

That 66% of music majors that apply to medical schools get accepted :eek:compared to 44% of Biochemistry majors. I think that is amazing.
They supposedly score higher on the MCAT and adcoms like them because it shows that they're well rounded. Is this correct?

Are there any music majors or MD music majors out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I read hear:

That 66% of music majors that apply to medical schools get accepted :eek:compared to 44% of Biochemistry majors. I think that is amazing.
They supposedly score higher on the MCAT and adcoms like them because it shows that they're well rounded. Is this correct?

Are there and music majors or MD music majors out there?

Woot!

I'm not a music major, but I'm guessing that percentage would be even higher if it included people with formal music training also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read hear:

Are there and music majors or MD music majors out there?

Also consider:

People talented at music are often talented at math/learn math more easily (developmental stuff).

Music majors are not trying to take the "easiest way to med school" (yeah, I'm looking at you, BCH gunners)

Music majors who DO apply to medical school will probably be more likely to "do it right" because they're not buying the BS of advisors who say "you have to do xxxx science major or you won't get in."

Music majors are awesome. I wish I was that talented at music. Great EC/leadership/work/dedication qualities.

Also consider:

People talented at music are often talented at math/learn math more easily (developmental stuff).

Music majors are not trying to take the "easiest way to med school" (yeah, I'm looking at you, BCH gunners)

Music majors who DO apply to medical school will probably be more likely to "do it right" because they're not buying the BS of advisors who say "you have to do xxxx science major or you won't get in."

Music majors are awesome. I wish I was that talented at music. Great EC/leadership/work/dedication qualities.

Im a pianist and violinist myself (self taught & Formally) I know how difficult it is to develop skill in music, hours upon hours of devoted play as a child and into my adult hood. I wasn't thinking music major was "easy" I just thought it was interesting that the percentage was that high for a music major. Some of my colleagues describe music courses to be as difficult if not more than Biology Courses.-I can believe that.

Also, it could be that Music classes are graded easier than Biochemistry classes. At my undergrad, Biochem was curved to a lower gpa (2.6) than other majors (like Comm, Business, Engineering, Neurobio)

Repeat after me:

"correlation does not equal causation"

I just found that data about an hour ago so its new to me, but all factors seem to show that the majority of music majors that apply to medical school get accepted. I just that was something to receive other thoughts on.

Last edited:
There is a ton of studies out there supporting this. I have a music degree myself (actually two) and it does give you a different perspective on things in general, not just music. I don't think it makes you smarter or nicer (the biggest @$$es I've ever met were musicians) but it definitely makes you more sensitive, and not in a touchy feely kinda way. All the nice extra things like it helps you with math, abstract thinking, verbal reasoning, etc are just side effects.

Music major.. If you can memorize and will have to learn how to play millions of songs and understand the whole lang of notes. Then obviously your going to be very good at learning abstract and hard things.
Biology is straight forward doesnt prep you for much hardcore thinking. Biochem is more math strong then anything, builds critical thinking but is hardly abstract.
Neh.. "correlation =/= causation." I agree.

There is a ton of studies out there supporting this. I have a music degree myself (actually two) and it does give you a different perspective on things in general, not just music. I don't think it makes you smarter or nicer (the biggest @$$es I've ever met were musicians) but it definitely makes you more sensitive, and not in a touchy feely kinda way. All the nice extra things like it helps you with math, abstract thinking, verbal reasoning, etc are just side effects.

Its nice to meet a music major that is currently in Medical School.

::coughcough:: selection bias ::coughcough::

Members don't see this ad :)
musicians are passionate about what they do. i think developing and investing in your interests means a lot to adcoms.

Yea, the BCH path is the easiest way to med school? If music majors have the highest acceptance rate than that would be the easiest path. If one major has a lower % acceptance rate, then that path is probably harder...

Yea, the BCH path is the easiest way to med school? If music majors have the highest acceptance rate than that would be the easiest path. If one major has a lower % acceptance rate, then that path is probably harder...

I'm sorry, but you're thinking there is horribly misguided.

I wonder what the rates are for theatre majors... :)

And I think anyone that thinks more artistic majors are graded more easily than hard science hasn't had to deal with a dozen different teachers grading things subjectively. What a PITA. I can give the same math test to 10 math teachers and I should get the same grade. Give the same performance for 10 different music or theatre teachers and you'll get a much wider range of grades.

That or it has more people who don't really know what they're doing applying. Chances are pretty good that a music major applying to med school has done a decent amount of research on the subject. I know quite a few people (like, say, me) who jumped into a science major because it sounded like a good idea for a future in the health professions but didn't have much logic for doing so beyond that.

That or it has more people who don't really know what they're doing applying. Chances are pretty good that a music major applying to med school has done a decent amount of research on the subject. I know quite a few people (like, say, me) who jumped into a science major because it sounded like a good idea for a future in the health professions but didn't have much logic for doing so beyond that.

I think that's a false dichotomy. As someone said before, correlation doesn't equal causation. The music major pre-meds I know are absolutely brilliant in every sense of the word. It's not really that they know more about the admissions process or that adcomms like them that gets them admitted (though I wouldn't dispute either possibility), but the abstract thinking and sensitivity required to become a skillful musician can easily lend themselves to success in English and the sciences... and a great/unique personality overall.

Some thoughts:

Small numbers can skew data. If there are 2 and 3 get in, you've got 66%. Add two more poor candidates and suddenly you drop to 40%.

BCPM reflects performance in the pre-req courses regardless of whether ones other courses were Music, Psychology, Anthropology, English or Economics. I guess someone who does poorly on additional science courses (P-Chem) can wreck their science gpa. That's a down side to a chem major. I'm sure there is a comparable requirement for Bio, Physics and Math majors.

Do keep in mind that practice and rehearsals are a huge time sink for music majors and they do have to work extra hard to find time for volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Saying that there are probably more clueless biochem majors than music majors isn't creating a dichotomy.

As someone who learns conceptually and thinks abstractly, I can tell you those abilities don't help a whole lot for most of "the sciences" (meaning med school pre-reqs, in this case). It's awesome for physics and the verbal portion of the MCAT, but for bio and chem, you're up **** creek. Gotta memorize those puppies.

Saying that there are probably more clueless biochem majors than music majors isn't creating a dichotomy.

As someone who learns conceptually and thinks abstractly, I can tell you those abilities don't help a whole lot for most of "the sciences" (meaning med school pre-reqs, in this case). It's awesome for physics and the verbal portion of the MCAT, but for bio and chem, you're up **** creek. Gotta memorize those puppies.

I agree. I think it's reasonable to say that there are more clueless biochem majors that are interested in medicine than there are music. That's simply because a ton of people into science may also try to go MD, it's common. For a music major to go MD, they must 1) already know they don't need to major in science 2) be aware of all the requirements because all their other classmates etc aren't going through the process like them.

I think, however, that overall, the proportion of total clueless biochem majors and music majors is probably similar as it is in most things for people.

You waited since August 2009 for that to be your first post?

I think I can be of help here as I doubled majored in music and physiology and can fairly compare the two.
I can't say the physiology taught me much more than physiology (fascinating stuff I might add) and how to do well on MC tests. The music major, on the other hand, required me to think differently. Also, working one-on-one with a very highly trained individual (private music lessons) isn't something you get in sciences generally. I work in a lab as well, but my interactions with my PI don't really compare. I think that committing to high-level music performance requires great personal attributes and is a solid character-building process. I'm not sure I can say the same for undergraduate science classes...though I love them!

The practice of medicine probably has more in common with the practice of music than it does with basic science courses!

My first thought was the same as MilkmanAl's. It seems like the vast majority of people in my biochemistry class (for majors) are pre-medical, but I can tell you that many of them are not even doing great in this class and are certainly not prepared for medical school. Nonetheless, some of them have probably always wanted to be a doctor, and so they will apply anyway, and some of them will get denied.

If you're a music major who is deciding to apply to medical school it seems much more likely that you're doing so because you're very qualified and, as Narmer pointed out, you're already ahead of many clueless pre-meds in your understanding that majoring in a science is unnecessary.

There may be some actual causation too, don't get me wrong. Being well rounded is good, and having a major that clearly reflects that is probably helpful.

I'm not sure who thinks that biochemistry would be an easier path to medical school. As LizzyM mentioned, p-chem is an incredibly hard class, and you'll find classes like that in other chemistry, physics, and math majors. I think biology is significantly easier than chem, phys, math, or biochem because all of the classes are memorization and/or conceptual, not so much calculation.

Of course this all just depends on people's strengths, but it's my opinion that a biology major is a series of similarly structured classes (memorization) whereas those other science majors are more diverse in their structure (memorization vs. calculation, at least).

Personally, I chose to become a biochemistry major because a) I only had two years at a university and had to take organic chem during my junior year and b) of the majors available to me in that time frame, biochemistry seemed by far the most interesting. I think I'd have chosen it even if I'd had four full years at my school.

Choosing a specific major because it is statistically more successful is logically backwards. People who choose to to become music majors are people who, for whatever reason, are more likely to be accepted to a med school, should they apply. They possess those desirable traits before they choose a major, and those traits lead them to music. Choosing music just because of it's success in this regard does not magically grant you those traits, and I would argue that being a person who chooses a major exclusively because of your belief that it will help you get into med school is a very undesirable personality trait.

Repeat after me:

"correlation does not equal causation"

correlation.png

Do keep in mind that practice and rehearsals are a huge time sink for music majors and they do have to work extra hard to find time for volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Definitely. I have a pre-med music major friend who is busier than I am as a chemistry major. Yeah, I have time-consuming labs and lab reports, but she's constantly going from rehearsal, to practicing, private lesson, recital, practicing, chamber, dress rehearsal, concert, and back to practicing. The good ones practice up to 5-6 hours a day. It wears you out, physically and emotionally.

Now add all of the pre-med stuff on top of that.

I don't know any music majors that half-ass their way through their major. They do it because they love it.

(note this paragraph is only based on BCH at my school, but I assume it's similar elsewhere)
Yep. BCH covers every prereq as part of the curriculum without having to take anything extra, plus there's time for electives. Like I said, the easy way. At my school, they even have a dumbed-down 1-semester version of PChem for the BCH majors and hook up all the BCH kids with guaranteed lab experience. It's really pre-med with a more marketable name for those who don't get in. Granted, sometimes I wish I had done BCH -- ChemE is kicking my butt this semester and I probably (hopefully) won't even end up using my degree!

Im a pianist and violinist myself (self taught & Formally) I know how difficult it is to develop skill in music, hours upon hours of devoted play as a child and into my adult hood. I wasn't thinking music major was "easy" I just thought it was interesting that the percentage was that high for a music major. Some of my colleagues describe music courses to be as difficult if not more than Biology Courses.-I can believe that.

I don't believe I implied music was an easy way, sorry if I did. I have a couple friends who are music majors and I know how much work it is. Not only that, but one of them is also a dual-major with CivE (he's taking 5? years)--now THAT is legit!

I've heard stories of sight-singing and other such music classes. I know it would be hard for me, for sure =)

Last edited:
I just found that data about an hour ago so its new to me, but all factors seem to show that the majority of music majors that apply to medical school get accepted. I just that was something to receive other thoughts on.

The point is that it may not be the actual major that plays a role in getting them into school. For example, it could be that a higher percent of the few music majors who end up applying to medical school are extremely dedicated with great grades/mcat compared to the average medical school applicant. I'm pretty sure I saw a similar stat for a couple of non-typical majors. I don't think the schools are actively seeking those specific majors above others.

The point is that it may not be the actual major that plays a role in getting them into school. For example, it could be that a higher percent of the few music majors who end up applying to medical school are extremely dedicated with great grades/mcat compared to the average medical school applicant. I'm pretty sure I saw a similar stat for a couple of non-typical majors. I don't think the schools are actively seeking those specific majors above others.

I agree with this.

Its nice to meet a music major that is currently in Medical School.

I'm the only one in my (big) class. However, there is a lot of musical talent in my school (and I'm sure it's similar in other schools since a lot of med students come from families where education was emphasized) and we have a chamber orchestra that plays for many school functions. It's actually a great time not to think about studying.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's skewed statistics or denigrate the abilities of music majors. I too have consistently heard this statistic, not that hearing it before makes it true. But it does sound very valid. Many music majors are some of the smartest and talented individuals. I'm not a music major myself, but played in orchestras growing up, and generally speaking the students who played instruments were the brighter better performing students. Also coming from a completely different field, you have to consider that music major probably are more certain and adamant about their decisions for going into med school.

Word. Of course, music majors are 96% less likely than science majors to have any formal training in correlation or causation.

Yea, I'm sure they would learn nothing about that in their first bio class...

I studied music in undergrad... it was awesome. I use it every day in med school.. like listening to Bach while studying and following the polyphony and modulations stimulates your right brain while you sit there and memorize countless analytical details with your left. Music attaches some sort of emotional or relevant stimuli (amygdala) to the material that aids in forming long-term associations. or something I'm really making this up.. I just know that when I take some ridiculous exam I always hear the same music in my head that I was listening to when I was studying, and it's super relaxing and aids recall. like if i studied listening to Mozart piano sonatas i'll listen to one of those in my head while taking the exam. out of everything in the world music is the best!

I'm a music minor, and I have to say...it's definitely helped my problem solving skills and taught me to think outside the box. For instance, a composer wants me to play REALLY loud (louder than I can physically play). How do I accomplish this? Play the previous section softer. Also, music theory is really abstract and really is a subject that makes you think in a really weird way.

Some of my colleagues describe music courses to be as difficult if not more than Biology Courses.-I can believe that.

Music major.. If you can memorize and will have to learn how to play millions of songs and understand the whole lang of notes. Then obviously your going to be very good at learning abstract and hard things.
Biology is straight forward doesnt prep you for much hardcore thinking. Biochem is more math strong then anything, builds critical thinking but is hardly abstract.
Neh.. "correlation =/= causation." I agree.
To be honest, as someone who spent hours upon hours cracking through books in the various libraries at my university as an engineering major I found this a bit insulting. (GPA shot up when I changed majors and I went from being a library regular to an infrequent visitor - a classic story.)

Admittedly I'm not a pro-level musician - I never stuck with an instrument long enough to get really good at it. I did trumpet for a number of years and am now teaching myself piano (with the assistance of my wife, who does violin and piano). Would I want to practice for hours upon hours as the music majors at my university did? I'd probably get sick of it, but let you tell you - compared to what I was spending hours upon hours doing, it was a highly preferable thought.

I'm not going to discuss how hard it is to learn music, because it's crushingly difficult to some and extremely easy to others. The critical difference between spending hours practicing a song and spending hours on a problem set? The music itself. If writing out those problem sets resulted in lights flashing and music altering then they'd be a total blast, I'm sure, but otherwise you were stuck with your own thoughts echoing (and maybe your iPod running tired - but don't choose too interesting of a song selection, or you'll just end up daydreaming). At least when you're practicing music there's a melody, and it directly matches up to your performance. Everyone (everyone!) loves music, and you're only at a disadvantage in your love of music if you're in a music program and you can't appreciate classical.

I'm not looking to argue with anyone (I respect the opinions here) but I did feel the need to say a word for those of us who struggled and didn't always enjoy (but were still dedicated to) our program of study, even if it was a more "traditional" choice. Sorry if it comes off as being bitter, but seeing those music majors practicing - and some outside, even! - really brought out a nasty case of "the grass is greener." To hear it said that that was more difficult than what I and my fellow engineering/science students were doing is a bit upsetting.

But I will say one thing - those people were smart, whether they realized it or not. They had their own struggles, but doing it their way was probably the better way to go about both enjoying your undergrad experience while working your way to medical school. If I had to redo it, I'd probably go that route. If they knew what they were doing at the time, that's some incredible foresight. They were years ahead of me.

I was a hardcore musician all throughout school, and was good enough to consider being a music major. However, as a senior in HS I took the first course that ever challenged me, chemistry, and along with that and the idea of becoming a doctor, decided to major in science. Looking back, I could've had a lot more enjoyable college experience (playing an instrument and in ensembles is exhilarating), but I do not think I would have been prepared to think scientifically. I can't relate practicing my clarinet for hours a day, which includes repetition but not independent thought, to developing an understanding of scientific principles. I do not think it would have prepared me at all for medical school.

I do agree that it is merely numbers. Way more halfass bio majors applying who aren't as qualified as the few music major who probably knew at the very beginning that they could just do the prereqs and major in something fun.

I was a hardcore musician all throughout school, and was good enough to consider being a music major. However, as a senior in HS I took the first course that ever challenged me, chemistry, and along with that and the idea of becoming a doctor, decided to major in science. Looking back, I could've had a lot more enjoyable college experience (playing an instrument and in ensembles is exhilarating), but I do not think I would have been prepared to think scientifically. I can't relate practicing my clarinet for hours a day, which includes repetition but not independent thought, to developing an understanding of scientific principles. I do not think it would have prepared me at all for medical school.

I do agree that it is merely numbers. Way more halfass bio majors applying who aren't as qualified as the few music major who probably knew at the very beginning that they could just do the prereqs and major in something fun.

very true. that is way we have prereqs (and you better rock them if you were not a science major) and the MCAT.

I studied music in undergrad... it was awesome. I use it every day in med school.. like listening to Bach while studying and following the polyphony and modulations stimulates your right brain while you sit there and memorize countless analytical details with your left. Music attaches some sort of emotional or relevant stimuli (amygdala) to the material that aids in forming long-term associations. or something I'm really making this up.. I just know that when I take some ridiculous exam I always hear the same music in my head that I was listening to when I was studying, and it's super relaxing and aids recall. like if i studied listening to Mozart piano sonatas i'll listen to one of those in my head while taking the exam. out of everything in the world music is the best!

AHH! i do the EXACT same thing when studying and taking a test!!!!! I'm both a bio and music major and HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED :) I guess I add to the statistic :) Music majors are just awesome people in general; compassionate, emotional, empathetic, and keen to things that average person might not even consider. I agree with the whole correlation does not equal causation, but there are definitely factors in musicians and artists that add diversity and richness to an incoming med school class.

i really don't see just because these ppl managed to get a good score on MCAT how they are more qualified in any way than someone who is a science major and has good GPA and MCAT similar to theirs.

I really dont see how they correlate their success in medical school over someone who is a science major and has proven success with good GPA because med school is all going to b science related.

with that said, no music major does not make u smarter, does not make u cooler, does not do u anything except great u can now sing. and singing or playing an instrument requires real talent so most of them r fails in their major and kinda have to switch major.

someone above said that small numbers can skew data. i kno u music majors managed to ignore that but thats prolly the reason. and NO ur not smart sorry

i really don't see just because these ppl managed to get a good score on MCAT how they are more qualified in any way than someone who is a science major and has good GPA and MCAT similar to theirs.

I really dont see how they correlate their success in medical school over someone who is a science major and has proven success with good GPA because med school is all going to b science related.

with that said, no music major does not make u smarter, does not make u cooler, does not do u anything except great u can now sing. and singing or playing an instrument requires real talent so most of them r fails in their major and kinda have to switch major.

someone above said that small numbers can skew data. i kno u music majors managed to ignore that but thats prolly the reason. and NO ur not smart sorry

Before you go bashing those with artistic talent, perhaps you should consider their value as a whole in the very diverse field of medicine, which is very scientifically, socially, emotionally, and creatively driven. Another suggestion would be to learn how to communicate via the written word.

please use spell check. It's hard to read otherwise.
No, it does not make you cooler or anything like that, but it adds some qualities that otherwise not many people would have. And yes, many people with music majors could not do well in med school, but in general a good musician does have some unique qualities. Med school is like nothing else you've seen before. Guess what? During the biochem block some people with an undergrad degree in biochem failed the first exam. Med school is a whole different ball game and what you know going in is not that important. What is important is what kind of brain you have to get through it. That is why people with non-science backgrounds can do just as well.

Sounds pretty accurate. If I had known this when starting college I would have been a music major. Adcoms loooooove degrees in the arts.

Before you go bashing those with artistic talent, perhaps you should consider their value as a whole in the very diverse field of medicine, which is very scientifically, socially, emotionally, and creatively driven. Another suggestion would be to learn how to communicate via the written word.

Artistic talent and medicine... nah.

They're separate, and smart people are smart. They could also be computer science majors and pre-med. I personally dislike music theory and prefer noise/industrial. Classical instruments irritate me.

I actually respect Econ pre-meds a lot more than any other ;p

Sounds pretty accurate. If I had known this when starting college I would have been a music major. Adcoms loooooove degrees in the arts.

That would probably change if more people were doing it, though. If there's one predictable thing about the world, it's that people get really enthusiastic about bubbles...until they pop.

That would probably change if more people were doing it, though. If there's one predictable thing about the world, it's that people get really enthusiastic about bubbles...until they pop.

Yeah you're right. But for now it would look a lot better than being just another science major.