Music therapy

Started by Henry123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Henry123

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does volunteering as a musician in the ICU count as clinical experience? I play about twice a week for an hour
 
Does volunteering as a musician in the ICU count as clinical experience? I play about twice a week for an hour
It's not the most direct patient care but I'd argue yes. You're with patients, you're in a definitive clinical environment, and you're doing something meaningful for them (even though you aren't providing physical healthcare).

I should also say it might dependent a bit on how you spin it...if you're just performing in front of the nurses I'd give it a little less weight, but if you're going into patient rooms to perform then I'd give that a little more weight.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, volunteering as a musician in the ICU totally counts as clinical experience! Even though it’s not the typical hands-on medical stuff, you’re still in a healthcare setting, interacting with patients and their families