Must have books for USMLE STEP I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what are must have books for studying for USMLE I? People also recommended cecil's. IS that necessary?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

daact said:
Just wondering what are must have books for studying for USMLE I? People also recommended cecil's. IS that necessary?

Thanks

First Aid covers everything...good to build a foundation (or so I hear). Cecils is not a good review source, nor is Robbins or Harrisons.

There IS an official step one booklist thread.

First Aid for Step 1 without a doubt.

Best of luck! :luck:

--Brian
MS-IV, St. George's University School of Medicine

Its hard to say which books work for everyone but I think the following shouldn't be missed:

HY Neuro
HY Cell and Mol. Bio
Kaplan Biochem

Again, you may not need these, but these three books were absolutely critical for me. I was very tempted to say "clinical micro made rid simple", but I think FA would be enough for 95% of the Q's. So its not essential but that CMMRS rocks regardless.

HamOn

HamOnWholeWheat said:
Its hard to say which books work for everyone but I think the following shouldn't be missed:

HY Neuro
HY Cell and Mol. Bio
Kaplan Biochem

Again, you may not need these, but these three books were absolutely critical for me. I was very tempted to say "clinical micro made rid simple", but I think FA would be enough for 95% of the Q's. So its not essential but that CMMRS rocks regardless.

HamOn

I recently got my hands on HY Histo. Despite the fact that it's on the longer side for a HY series, that book is amazing. It briefly covers the basic histo and then hits the path, pharm, etc of that system. Not sure why the words "HY Histo" aren't thrown around as often on SDN.