Must have iPad apps for med students?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have tried iannotate but I strongly prefer pdfnotes, they have a free version that is fully functional and I use it for everything. Textbooks, reading papers, and even importing blank pages for random note taking purposes. It does a great job of handling several gigs of pdfs, zooms great, writes smooth, multitouch shortcuts, and options galore. You can easily export annotated or original pdfs to email/dropbox or other apps.

MynameisMike: I don't see a problem for left handed users, most of the time when I write with my finger or my stylus my palm doesn't touch the pad so it shouldn't matter much.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully someone reads this. In your opinion, would it be a good idea to buy the kindle version of Rohen's atlas for my iPad? I live somewhat far away so I can't be in the lab as much as I probably should be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully someone reads this. In your opinion, would it be a good idea to buy the kindle version of Rohen's atlas for my iPad? I live somewhat far away so I can't be in the lab as much as I probably should be.

You can find it online as a pdf with enough searching.

I did purchase the Netter's atlas app, though. The search function is pretty invaluable.

Check out zoomnotes it's the best notetaking/drawing app I have come across- it's unique in the way it works by giving you an almost infinite page to work on - even when annotating pdf file. It also lets you put together presentations too. They have just released a new version which is currently half price. This video shows it off well:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9mbk2mpH2w

I noticed this quote from another med student on their website:
"Downloaded a lot of paid drawing apps and this one is my favorite for taking detailed notes for med school. You can put an infinite amount of info into an infinite number of "geographical" locations on one page. For those who are spacial or visual learners, this is a huge advantage."Drmcw USA App Store.

FINR Brain for neuro is awesome. Micromedex is great for drug information, I use it all the time. I know a lot of people use epocrates. QX calculate is a good calculator for clinical stuff.

i annotate pdfs in preview on my macbook. what app for the ipad is good just for reading pdfs i've already annotated? any suggestions would be great. ty.

i annotate pdfs in preview on my macbook. what app for the ipad is good just for reading pdfs i've already annotated? any suggestions would be great. ty.

I'm a big fan of PDF expert. It syncs really well with a Mac. You can basically log into your computer from your iPad, navigate, then select to sync the folder. It can then sync automatically or whenever you decide to push or pull changes. I'm fairly certain iannotate can't sync like this, it can only use things like Dropbox, which is just another annoying layer.

Also, all the annotations you make in preview are editable in PDF expert, and vice versa. This makes it easy to just change things and not have to worry about which device you used. This includes bookmarks, which is helpful for super long course pack PDFs.

As for tools comparisons, I think iannotate has a reputation of having more customizable tools, but I've never been wanting more out of PDF expert. I think the difference is akin to being able to choose custom colors in iannotate while in PDF expert you only get to choose from 20 colors or so.

If you don't want to annotate at all, I think adobe has a free reader, but I don't know how easy it is to transfer files.

thanks, i'll look into pdf expert. appreciate your feedback!

I'm a big fan of PDF expert. It syncs really well with a Mac. You can basically log into your computer from your iPad, navigate, then select to sync the folder. It can then sync automatically or whenever you decide to push or pull changes. I'm fairly certain iannotate can't sync like this, it can only use things like Dropbox, which is just another annoying layer.

Also, all the annotations you make in preview are editable in PDF expert, and vice versa. This makes it easy to just change things and not have to worry about which device you used. This includes bookmarks, which is helpful for super long course pack PDFs.

As for tools comparisons, I think iannotate has a reputation of having more customizable tools, but I've never been wanting more out of PDF expert. I think the difference is akin to being able to choose custom colors in iannotate while in PDF expert you only get to choose from 20 colors or so.

If you don't want to annotate at all, I think adobe has a free reader, but I don't know how easy it is to transfer files.

I want to second this, PDF Expert is the best in my opinion. I use it along with Notability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't currently own a tablet, but am strongly leading towards getting one for med school in the fall. Seems like the majority of med-relevant apps are on IOS, so i guess I'll be going with an ipad. Would it be wise to buy it now and get used to working with one, or better to just wait until right before school starts in July/August?

I don't currently own a tablet, but am strongly leading towards getting one for med school in the fall. Seems like the majority of med-relevant apps are on IOS, so i guess I'll be going with an ipad. Would it be wise to buy it now and get used to working with one, or better to just wait until right before school starts in July/August?

ask your school if they provide handouts, if they are included into tuition, or if students are responsible for paying for them themselves. At my school, we pay for printing and therefore are charged for lecture packets as a part of the "materials" part of our loans (the part that pays for books and such). It ends up being a couple hundred bucks a semester unless we opt out. I already paid for my iPad this way. If your school either gives handouts for free or there is no opt out system it may not be as attractive, but if so, you can essentially get a tablet for free by opting out and going paperless.

ask your school if they provide handouts, if they are included into tuition, or if students are responsible for paying for them themselves. At my school, we pay for printing and therefore are charged for lecture packets as a part of the "materials" part of our loans (the part that pays for books and such). It ends up being a couple hundred bucks a semester unless we opt out. I already paid for my iPad this way. If your school either gives handouts for free or there is no opt out system it may not be as attractive, but if so, you can essentially get a tablet for free by opting out and going paperless.

Oh I didn't think about that. I know the school I've been accepted to lets you pick if you want the handouts printed or electronic, but I don't know if I'm matriculating there yet. I guess it's best to wait at this point then.

Thanks.

Oh I didn't think about that. I know the school I've been accepted to lets you pick if you want the handouts printed or electronic, but I don't know if I'm matriculating there yet. I guess it's best to wait at this point then.

Thanks.

yeah you have plenty of time. You can get any tablet you want overnighted to you. Also, I wouldnt let this factor into which school you decide to go to. At least the 'opt out" part. Now, I wouldnt have wanted to go to a school that didnt provide handouts at all. Not sure if any schools are like this.... but back in the day people had to just write down stuff during the lecture. My dad was telling me that they would take turns doing it and would photocopy notes for the class, or that some people would go and sell copies of their notes. Either way, for me electronic access to lecture and course materials was a big deal.

yeah you have plenty of time. You can get any tablet you want overnighted to you. Also, I wouldnt let this factor into which school you decide to go to. At least the 'opt out" part. Now, I wouldnt have wanted to go to a school that didnt provide handouts at all. Not sure if any schools are like this.... but back in the day people had to just write down stuff during the lecture. My dad was telling me that they would take turns doing it and would photocopy notes for the class, or that some people would go and sell copies of their notes. Either way, for me electronic access to lecture and course materials was a big deal.

Yea I usually prefer to have hard copies at times too for highlighting/annotating, but after reading a bunch of these med app threads, it seems like there are apps for all that sort of stuff now.

My girlfriend's school gives out a printed syllabus for each block. I'm not the most organized person in the world and I'm sure I would lose pages out of that huge packet on the regular.

yeah I live and die by highlighting. I usually do all of my highlighting and scribbles in the ipad and then will go through and transfer all of the key concepts into a notebook so I have an entire tests-worth of material down to a few pages (sometimes "a few pages" still means >40 handwritten :scared: )

yeah I live and die by highlighting. I usually do all of my highlighting and scribbles in the ipad and then will go through and transfer all of the key concepts into a notebook so I have an entire tests-worth of material down to a few pages (sometimes "a few pages" still means >40 handwritten :scared: )

Damn. Maybe I should go back to undergrad.

Damn. Maybe I should go back to undergrad.

Turn back now and save yourself!!

Naw just kidding. :D

My school gives out a bound syllabus with (almost) all the stuff we need to know for the class, but depending on the lecturer/style of lecture, I'll put the slides on my iPad and use Notability to highlight/take notes. That is the best little 99cent pdf reader app I've ever used! I'd say the iPad is well worth it, but definitely wait until this summer to make a decision.

My school gives out a bound syllabus with (almost) all the stuff we need to know for the class, but depending on the lecturer/style of lecture, I'll put the slides on my iPad and use Notability to highlight/take notes. That is the best little 99cent pdf reader app I've ever used! I'd say the iPad is well worth it, but definitely wait until this summer to make a decision.

How do you get it onto your ipad? Also, would an ipad be useful if the only thing I had on it were e-books for school?

I use dropbox to get all files onto my ipad, but you can usually also download them directly. The apps usually have their own directories as well. I don't know if notability has dropbox connectivity like iannotate does, but you can always put a file into dropbox, load it on the ipad dropbox app, adn then press to "open with" or "open in", whatever it says, and pick the program you want.

I use dropbox to get all files onto my ipad, but you can usually also download them directly. The apps usually have their own directories as well. I don't know if notability has dropbox connectivity like iannotate does, but you can always put a file into dropbox, load it on the ipad dropbox app, adn then press to "open with" or "open in", whatever it says, and pick the program you want.

I meant how do you get hard copies into your ipad?

Take a picture of every page.

Or there is probably an electronic copy available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Take a picture of every page.

Or there is probably an electronic copy available.

nevermind. Misread his post. He said slides, not syllabus. :D

nevermind. Misread his post. He said slides, not syllabus. :D

Our syllabus is posted online as well. And Notability is compatible with Dropbox so it's always synced with my computer. You just enter Notability and import a pdf from Dropbox, and you're ready to annotate.

And I'm a girl :)

Has anyone given any thought to forgoing the Ipad and going with some of the new line of tablets and/or ultrabooks? With Windows 8 being touch compatible, that leaves the option of having a designated stylus very possible. As far as a tablet the Samsung Note 10.1 is pretty awesome (minus the somewhat lack luster display compared to the Ipad). But really interested me was the Sony Vaoi Duo which seems like the closest hybrid of a tablet and computer I have seen yet. I mean its $1200, but seems extremely capable. Also you can opt to put in an i5 or i7 processor instead of Atom which has been used mostly for netbooks. It's really neat where tablets and computers are going.

Has anyone given any thought to forgoing the Ipad and going with some of the new line of tablets and/or ultrabooks? With Windows 8 being touch compatible, that leaves the option of having a designated stylus very possible. As far as a tablet the Samsung Note 10.1 is pretty awesome (minus the somewhat lack luster display compared to the Ipad). But really interested me was the Sony Vaoi Duo which seems like the closest hybrid of a tablet and computer I have seen yet. I mean its $1200, but seems extremely capable. Also you can opt to put in an i5 or i7 processor instead of Atom which has been used mostly for netbooks. It's really neat where tablets and computers are going.

I have an iPad and also use OneNote.... The OneNote app on the iPad kinda sucks for creating notes but is decent for reviewing the ones I made on my PC. If money were readily available, I would consider testing out other tablets for better compatibility with OneNote.

Can anyone comment on the size of the iPad you all are using? I like the new Minis, but I'm concerned that the 16GB won't have enough space for all the apps you recommend. However, I think the Mini might just fit into a white coat pocket :)

So 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB? iPad 1, iPad 2, or Mini? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone comment on the size of the iPad you all are using? I like the new Minis, but I'm concerned that the 16GB won't have enough space for all the apps you recommend. However, I think the Mini might just fit into a white coat pocket :)

So 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB? iPad 1, iPad 2, or Mini? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Don't plan on using the mini for any annotating. Its really only good for 3 things: games, internet, and wishing you had the big one

Don't plan on using the mini for any annotating. Its really only good for 3 things: games, internet, and wishing you had the big one

Great, thanks for the input. How about size? 16GB or 32GB or 64GB? Looks like 64 would be the best but I don't know if that much space is really necessary...

Great, thanks for the input. How about size? 16GB or 32GB or 64GB? Looks like 64 would be the best but I don't know if that much space is really necessary...

I just got a 16g Verizon cell version. You don't pay for cell service unless you use it. If you always have wireless, then you don't need the cell service. I wanted the ability. I hope that it is big enough. I have it about half full with games and crap. Most of which will be deleted once I start at med school.

I picked verizon, because it can be turned into a wireless hot-spot. If I am out camping, then I can always have internet... Although at some point, I would be camping so I can get away from things like homework and internet...

dsoz

I have a 32 and have almost filled it. But I got a TON of random crap on it. the 16 is fine if you only plan to use it as a work machine. Gaming and multimedia will fill it up in a hurry.

Regular size ipad fits in a white coat pocket too.

Just thinking about getting an ipad, thanks for the info folks.

Also, just wanted to throw out there that I got a Fugi Scan Snap scanner to do document scanning or scan notes into my computer that aren't electronically available and that thing is awesome as well. Missed two days of a two hour lecture and scanned over 50 pages of notes into my computer in less than 10 minutes instead of having to try to copy all of what I missed by hand from my friend's notes. Does duplex scanning. It's saved in pdf format, so then you could have it in your ipad and annotate. Although I think most of my grad school professors have electronic versions of things now.

Regular size ipad fits in a white coat pocket too.

The hell kind of white coats have you been using? Even the 7" tablet is a tight squeeze in ours, and honestly I need my pockets for other more important things. Like snacks.

I have a 32 iPad 3rd generation. I would highly recommend that version over the previous ones, as the screen is way way way better. I suppose the 4th generation might be slightly updated with the plug, but probably not worth it if there is extra cost. Up to you.

I have no songs on mine and all of my pictures (I think 8 gigs?). After loading all the apps I need as an MS2, I've filled it about half way. That includes a lot of games. I have about 5 screen pages of apps. So I think 32 is the perfect balance.

The main apps I have for school are: PDF expert for annotation, Notability for handwriting notes, Pages for typing, Google Drive for PBL stuff, Epocrates, Medscape, Kaplan qbank, Thieme anatomy flashcards, UpToDate & Dropbox. The rest is games or things like Facebook. I can't imagine that I will end up accumulating that much extra once clinicals start. So definitely need more than 16, probably don't need 64.

Just thinking about getting an ipad, thanks for the info folks.

Also, just wanted to throw out there that I got a Fugi Scan Snap scanner to do document scanning or scan notes into my computer that aren't electronically available and that thing is awesome as well. Missed two days of a two hour lecture and scanned over 50 pages of notes into my computer in less than 10 minutes instead of having to try to copy all of what I missed by hand from my friend's notes. Does duplex scanning. It's saved in pdf format, so then you could have it in your ipad and annotate. Although I think most of my grad school professors have electronic versions of things now.

Have you gotten info on your courses yet? If not, HOLD YOUR FRIGGING HORSES

I did the same thing as an incoming MS1 - was super excited and was like "look at all the things i can get that will help me do well next year!" :laugh:
I spent a ton of money I didnt need to. Just wait, there is a very good chance your school will have everything electronically available. Most do at this point. You also will get tired very quickly of scanning documents otherwise and will just opt to do it all on paper for any exceptions.

I think the iPad is a great idea both because of apps that are useful (netters is a must, also has quizzes which rock) and due to annotation ability. Otherwise, I'd say chill until you get a feel for what you may need or you will have a $500 pile of fancy junk occupying a corner of your room.

The hell kind of white coats have you been using? Even the 7" tablet is a tight squeeze in ours, and honestly I need my pockets for other more important things. Like snacks.

Idk, my girlfriend's white coat has inside pockets and an ipad fits in there. She says she has classmates who round with them.

Have you gotten info on your courses yet? If not, HOLD YOUR FRIGGING HORSES

I did the same thing as an incoming MS1 - was super excited and was like "look at all the things i can get that will help me do well next year!" :laugh:
I spent a ton of money I didnt need to. Just wait, there is a very good chance your school will have everything electronically available. Most do at this point. You also will get tired very quickly of scanning documents otherwise and will just opt to do it all on paper for any exceptions.

I think the iPad is a great idea both because of apps that are useful (netters is a must, also has quizzes which rock) and due to annotation ability. Otherwise, I'd say chill until you get a feel for what you may need or you will have a $500 pile of fancy junk occupying a corner of your room.

I want to buy an ipad right now but I guess I'll wait until closer to school time.

No, not even accepted yet. Just stealing all of your ideas for use in my graduate school program at the moment. :laugh: I've been debating getting an ipad for the last 8 months and I'm getting it for myself as a Christmas present, so not really jumping the gun as I know what my needs are for my current degree program and my personal use.

As for the scanner, got that two years ago for personal and business organization. I've just been using it more for school lately and started to appreciate it a lot more, especially after getting sick for two weeks and needing to get notes from classmates. Just thought I'd mention it for those unfortunate enough to have a few profs like me who haven't joined the modern ages with posting electronic copies of things. It's probably taken me a grand total of an hour to scan my entire course packet into my computer so I can have it with me to study anywhere and not have to pull out sheets or lug the big binder around. But yeah, I realize med schools provide most things electronically and I'm sure as hell not going to go buy a bunch of new stuff just for medical school without seeing what's up first as I'm not real loose with the money.

Last edited:
Idk, my girlfriend's white coat has inside pockets and an ipad fits in there. She says she has classmates who round with them.

I want to buy an ipad right now but I guess I'll wait until closer to school time.

In.... INSIDE pockets?
LUCKY!

Go ahead and buy the ipad now if you think you can use it. There isnt a one of my classmates that got one for class and regrets it. Also, it will give you the summer to get comfortable using it for whatever. It is a safe bet IMO. I just think people need to try to not predict too many things they think they will need. Medschools are pretty good at covering your needs in most areas.

If apple follows the same trend, there will be a new version of the iPad out in March. Wait for the new version. You will be more happy with it as it ages and becomes obsolete.

dsoz

If apple follows the same trend, there will be a new version of the iPad out in March. Wait for the new version. You will be more happy with it as it ages and becomes obsolete.

dsoz

This is true. Apparently there is already an iPad4? wtf

In.... INSIDE pockets?
LUCKY!

Go ahead and buy the ipad now if you think you can use it. There isnt a one of my classmates that got one for class and regrets it. Also, it will give you the summer to get comfortable using it for whatever. It is a safe bet IMO. I just think people need to try to not predict too many things they think they will need. Medschools are pretty good at covering your needs in most areas.

Yea the ones they got at white coat ceremony and the ones they can buy on campus have two big inside pockets, one breast pocket, and two medium hip pockets. I plan on buying one or two to bring with me just in case.

I'm going to look into the school that I got accepted at, and the ones that I'm still considering to see if they A: give ipads to M1s, and B: do electronic notes. At the very least I feel like it would be worth it to buy e-books and not have to carry a bunch of books around with me. Yes?

Uh, yea. I walked into Sams Club this weekend and saw them on the shelves. I don't follow Apple too closely, but I was sure that they had just released the Retina Display Ipad (Ipad "3") and hadn't even started advertising Ipad4 yet. Ridiculous.

ebooks.... Maybe. You can download PDFs of about every book in existence which also allows you to mark them up.

I just got the iPad3, then less than 2 weeks later they released the iPad4 at the same time they announced the iPad mini. It has a faster processor and a different cord. The old 30 pin cord that worked on the iPhone and iPod touch models would work on the iPad3. Now Apple uses an 8 pin "lightning connector" on the iPhone5, iPad4, and all their new devices.

So I turned in the iPad3 and ordered the iPad4. Since it was in the 30 day return policy, they gave me a full credit to get the new one. Now when school starts in August I will only be 1 generation of iPad behind. Ha ha.

I hope to get e-books as well. I would probably want an anatomy atlas both ways, paper and electronic, but the rest of them could be electronic and I would be much happier not having to carry around a bunch of heavy books (like the poor souls at LECOM-B with their suit-cases and roller crates full of books).

Supposedly, many med schools also give lecture outlines. I hope I can get them electronic, then I wouldn't need to carry around a paper notebook either. :)

dsoz