You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Must have iPad apps for med students?!
Started by futuredoc2016
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
iAnnotate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a med student just yet, but I started using an iPad this semester to try to develop a decent note taking system. I'm really digging Notability and iAnnotate as a combo. Both have DropBox sync, as well as other exportation services. Both are highly functional, smooth working applications (there's a reason iAnnotate is $10). Notability has a very good technical support & development team, some of their latest updates have been awesome - last week's one included a new ink option that improved my tablet handwriting tremendously (it was awkward for a while).
Definitely iAnnotate.
not familiar with iAnnotate, but I use Epocrates all the time. Medscape also comes in handy. Netter's flash cards will also be useful during the first year.
I also occasionally use a converter program (between cc to oz, kg to lb, etc)
I also occasionally use a converter program (between cc to oz, kg to lb, etc)
Micromedex for drugs, UpToDate when I'm on campus/have access to it, and ED Radiology (great teaching tool for rads)
I got the netters ipad atlas. Better than the book imo
not familiar with iAnnotate, but I use Epocrates all the time. Medscape also comes in handy. Netter's flash cards will also be useful during the first year.
I also occasionally use a converter program (between cc to oz, kg to lb, etc)
iAnnotate is a pdf annotator, which is very good. however, i think goodreader has been doing a great job catching up on annotation. given the new iPad w/ high-res screen, document reading becomes even cooler on iPad 🙂
iAnnotate looks awesome, will definitely be grabbing that as my school uses Dropbox and shares notes a lot. The Netter's Atlas you recommended, is it the $90 one? I assume if it replaces a textbook it's a worthy investment... The notecards seem cool, but at $39 bucks a pop I'm not sure I can afford all the sets, bummer.
Thanks for the tips everyone, I look forward to using my iPad for educational purposes and not just to check my Facebook 😉
Thanks for the tips everyone, I look forward to using my iPad for educational purposes and not just to check my Facebook 😉
there will be an opportunity to get free notecards if you join the AMA or various other groups.
iAnnotate looks awesome, will definitely be grabbing that as my school uses Dropbox and shares notes a lot. The Netter's Atlas you recommended, is it the $90 one? I assume if it replaces a textbook it's a worthy investment... The notecards seem cool, but at $39 bucks a pop I'm not sure I can afford all the sets, bummer.
Thanks for the tips everyone, I look forward to using my iPad for educational purposes and not just to check my Facebook 😉
Yes. $90 and it IS the book. W a search function and quizzes. Win in my book. Type in a part and get every related plate. If u get the app don't get the atlas hard copy. I've also been emailing w them on improvements and got free netters books lol.
Yes. $90 and it IS the book. W a search function and quizzes. Win in my book. Type in a part and get every related plate. If u get the app don't get the atlas hard copy. I've also been emailing w them on improvements and got free netters books lol.
NICE! Thanks again for the tips!
Eponyms, great free app for all the signs and syndromes named after people that are terribly confusing to keep straight.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't forget all the Crazy Birds games. It is soo much easier to aim with the big screen 😀I like DrawSomething. A lot of my class have Words with Friends. Temple Run is pretty decent, but gets boring after a while. Tiny Tower is good too.
1. Medscape
2. UpToDate
3. NeuroMind
4. e-Anatomy
5. VisualDx
6. HD Radiology
7. NEJM This Week
8. Heart Sounds Pro
9. Lab Values Pro
http://www.appstoreapps.com/top-50-paid-medical-apps/
http://www.appstoreapps.com/top-50-free-medical-apps/
2. UpToDate
3. NeuroMind
4. e-Anatomy
5. VisualDx
6. HD Radiology
7. NEJM This Week
8. Heart Sounds Pro
9. Lab Values Pro
http://www.appstoreapps.com/top-50-paid-medical-apps/
http://www.appstoreapps.com/top-50-free-medical-apps/
Are there any other useful textbooks on iPad other than Netters?
Are there any other useful textbooks on iPad other than Netters?
Visible body is cool. Neuro is lacking tho.....
Can't forget all the Crazy Birds games. It is soo much easier to aim with the big screen 😀
Crazy Birds?
Do you really live under that big of a rock that you don't know its called Angry Birds?
Crazy Birds?
Do you really live under that big of a rock that you don't know its called Angry Birds?
Lol. Agreed.
LOL, that is what I get for posting when I am distracted. 😳 Yes, I know what the name is......Crazy Birds?
Do you really live under that big of a rock that you don't know its called Angry Birds?
iPads are the best! I like Epocrates and MedCalc apps, but those are most useful for the wards. I used the Kindle app on my iPad a lot for books. There are also some really helpful specific apps depending on the subject or specialty.
iMedicalApps.com has great medical app reviews, you should check out their website if you're looking for app suggestions.
Good luck!
iMedicalApps.com has great medical app reviews, you should check out their website if you're looking for app suggestions.
Good luck!
A good and inexpensive clinical (as in real images not illustrations or 3D models) neuroradiology app is NeuroRad for the iPad. NeuroRad Mini for the iPhone is also nice. Full MRI atlas of the brain and lots of other stuff too.
iPads are the best! I like Epocrates and MedCalc apps, but those are most useful for the wards. I used the Kindle app on my iPad a lot for books. There are also some really helpful specific apps depending on the subject or specialty.
iMedicalApps.com has great medical app reviews, you should check out their website if you're looking for app suggestions.
Good luck!
Will definitely check out the site... THANKS!
how big are the pockets in his white coat that he can fit an ipad in there?
D
deleted432032
I don't think an iPad could fit the pockets. I have heard of some sewing an internal pocket big enough for the iPad to fit, I believe there is also a post somewhere here that talks about it.
I don't think an iPad could fit the pockets. I have heard of some sewing an internal pocket big enough for the iPad to fit, I believe there is also a post somewhere here that talks about it.
that's so classic. I bet apple has R&D on that right now. An alternative for some would be to use a 7" tablet, just throwing that out there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Diagnosaurus - Plug in a symptom & gives you a list of DDx. Only 0.99
MedCalc - Figuring out water deficit, corrected Ca etc
DynaMed/First Consult - Can usually get free version from school library.
Think epocrates on a small dose of steroids
MedCalc - Figuring out water deficit, corrected Ca etc
DynaMed/First Consult - Can usually get free version from school library.
Think epocrates on a small dose of steroids
The new Angry Birds space is pretty good.
PDF Expert >>> iAnnotate
PDF Expert >>> iAnnotate
Agreed.
explain
Uptodate if your school gets it.
Dynamed if your school gets it isn't bad.
Pepid for clinical rotations. Once again, if your school gets it for you.
Medscape is always solid and free.
I also have pubmed on tap which is nice to search for articles real fast. Set it up with my school's EZproxy. I'm sure there are other apps out there that work just as well or better.
Really, I have a ton of apps that I tinker around with a lot on rotations.
Dynamed if your school gets it isn't bad.
Pepid for clinical rotations. Once again, if your school gets it for you.
Medscape is always solid and free.
I also have pubmed on tap which is nice to search for articles real fast. Set it up with my school's EZproxy. I'm sure there are other apps out there that work just as well or better.
Really, I have a ton of apps that I tinker around with a lot on rotations.
Can this be a sticky?
Great advice for those of us starting this year! Thanks guys!
Great advice for those of us starting this year! Thanks guys!
All those listed are good apps. It really depends on whether you plan on using your ipad on the hospital wards (especially 3rd and 4th yrs). Some are more point-of-care based and can help with actual patients.
I really like QxCalculate. It is free and contains numerous medical calculators and risk stratification tools, prognostic scoring systems, etc.
Our apps (Beach-Rak Medicine LLC) were made with med students in mind as well. We have free versions of our MD Series. They are especially useful for 3rd and 4th year students, but could be helpful to you 1st and 2nd years (especially when studying pathophys subjects like hematology and nephrology).
They are: Master Diagnostician Series: Approach to Anemia in the Adult Patient
and Master Diagnostician Series: Acute Kidney Injury.
More subjects to come.
Hope this helps. Good luck in med school!
I really like QxCalculate. It is free and contains numerous medical calculators and risk stratification tools, prognostic scoring systems, etc.
Our apps (Beach-Rak Medicine LLC) were made with med students in mind as well. We have free versions of our MD Series. They are especially useful for 3rd and 4th year students, but could be helpful to you 1st and 2nd years (especially when studying pathophys subjects like hematology and nephrology).
They are: Master Diagnostician Series: Approach to Anemia in the Adult Patient
and Master Diagnostician Series: Acute Kidney Injury.
More subjects to come.
Hope this helps. Good luck in med school!
Can this be a sticky?
Great advice for those of us starting this year! Thanks guys!
Seriously! Thanks to everyone who responded, I've already tinkered around with some of the apps and am sure I am not the only one looking forward to using them in school 🙂
I've found the uworld app a nice plus during down time as well.
Really, there are a ton of apps to play around with and most are pretty cheap. Various ones for practice with EKGs or CXR, numerous different reference types from the down and dirty bail you out stuff to more detailed references to procedure guides.
I have a few websites bookmarked/saved on the front too. My school's library site is the major one.
Really, there are a ton of apps to play around with and most are pretty cheap. Various ones for practice with EKGs or CXR, numerous different reference types from the down and dirty bail you out stuff to more detailed references to procedure guides.
I have a few websites bookmarked/saved on the front too. My school's library site is the major one.
What is the best stylus for the iPad?
What do you guys use?
What do you guys use?
What is the best stylus for the iPad?
What do you guys use?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BUI76S
Only 8 bucks and it works great; really accurate! Also I know some other stylus tips tend to fall apart, but this one stays together pretty well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the best stylus for the iPad?
What do you guys use?
I use one by RooCase. Was like $9 on Amazon and I like it better than the Boxwave ones.
Also, for Word/PPT, should I use Docs2Go, Quickoffice, or the Mac Papers and Numbers? I was leaning most towards Quickoffice since it supports Dropbox pretty well..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BUI76S
Only 8 bucks and it works great; really accurate! Also I know some other stylus tips tend to fall apart, but this one stays together pretty well.
I use one by RooCase. Was like $9 on Amazon and I like it better than the Boxwave ones.
Also, for Word/PPT, should I use Docs2Go, Quickoffice, or the Mac Papers and Numbers? I was leaning most towards Quickoffice since it supports Dropbox pretty well..
thank you.
should i buy a keyboard+case and/or a screen protector?
i have an iPad 1
PDF Expert >>> iAnnotate
Mr. Woolsey is a d-bag so I disregard this statement.
Also, for Word/PPT, should I use Docs2Go, Quickoffice, or the Mac Papers and Numbers? I was leaning most towards Quickoffice since it supports Dropbox pretty well..
Man, Microsoft really needs to make official office apps. I use Quickoffice Pro HD; it seems to be the best as far as for working with dropbox and Office files. That said it still lacks a ton of things that a desktop based version has that I had taken for granted. The apple apps are really nice, but I hate that they don't work with DropBox, and I much prefer their Mac Office counterparts that run on a normal OS, so the ease of integration has also kept me with Microsoft Office + DropBox + Quickoffice. For me, Quickoffice is the best work around. Hopefully Microsoft comes out with real apps.
thank you.
should i buy a keyboard+case and/or a screen protector?
i have an iPad 1
It's weird getting used to typing on the screen, but I would only get a keyboard if you don't have a laptop or desktop. I use my iPad as a replacement for the 10 binders with millions of sheets of paper I used to carry around, not as a replacement for a fully functional computer. Screen protectors aren't really needed in my experience, but idk, you'd probably have to do some research on that for a 1G iPad! Good luck 👍
Last edited:
Mr. Woolsey is a d-bag so I disregard this statement.
Hahaha, I'm ashamed to say I had to think about that for a few seconds before I got it 😳
I choose to ignore his Stargate character as The Doctor was one of the redeeming qualities of Voyager. And now that I sound like a total geek... 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 922