Must have iPad apps for med students?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I put a screen protector on mine the first day I bought it. Definitely worth it, IMO and you can find them on Amazon for like $2.

This might be true with the iPad 1, idk, I just know the newer iPads have that oleophobic coating that keeps finger prints at bay (with a microfiber cloth), and the screen is made of the same glass that goes in helicopter windshields. I watched an apple guy key his iPad under all his weight and couldn't scratch it. I just don't like them because no matter how "crystal clear" or "HD" a screen protector claims to be, you greatly reduce the clarity of the display, especially on the iPad 3.

But yea... Like I said before not sure about the 1G iPad, it could be a completely different story there!
 
I put a screen protector on mine the first day I bought it. Definitely worth it, IMO and you can find them on Amazon for like $2.

Can't find these screen protectors, they are 15-20$ from the search I tried. I'm also trying get free shipping w/ the 8$ stylus so I need around 17$ to spend. Thinking about buying a cover for the iPad as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't find these screen protectors, they are 15-20$ from the search I tried. I'm also trying get free shipping w/ the 8$ stylus so I need around 17$ to spend. Thinking about buying a cover for the iPad as well.

If you go to Amazon.com/student, you can sign up for amazon prime for free for 6 months. Really nice to have especially at the beginning of the year; you can get any textbooks or review books you want for cheaper then bookstores, not to mention the free 2 day shipping.

And on top of that you get their Prime Instant videos, for when you want to waste time in Med School haha. But yea, it's free for students for the first 6 months, then only $39 for another year.
 
If you go to Amazon.com/student, you can sign up for amazon prime for free for 6 months. Really nice to have especially at the beginning of the year; you can get any textbooks or review books you want for cheaper then bookstores, not to mention the free 2 day shipping.

And on top of that you get their Prime Instant videos, for when you want to waste time in Med School haha. But yea, it's free for students for the first 6 months, then only $39 for another year.

I already used that up...

But I'm thinking about getting Prime and cancelling my Netflix account but there's no app for the phone/iPad/Wii
 
This might be true with the iPad 1, idk, I just know the newer iPads have that oleophobic coating that keeps finger prints at bay (with a microfiber cloth), and the screen is made of the same glass that goes in helicopter windshields. I watched an apple guy key his iPad under all his weight and couldn't scratch it. I just don't like them because no matter how "crystal clear" or "HD" a screen protector claims to be, you greatly reduce the clarity of the display, especially on the iPad 3.

But yea... Like I said before not sure about the 1G iPad, it could be a completely different story there!
Same coating on iPad 1s.
 
Dunno. I figured that iPhone 3GS and beyond (including iPads) all used the same gorilla glass. Maybe they've upgraded it recently but I haven't heard anything about that.

My iThings have a few nicks too, but it's still impressive considering the abuse to which I subject them.
 
I highly recommend usmleworld for step1 on the iPad. I am preparing for step 2 now and do practice questions on the go.
 
I highly recommend usmleworld for step1 on the iPad. I am preparing for step 2 now and do practice questions on the go.
Obviously the qbank is excellent, but the app is atrocious.

It's really good at crashing, freezing, and not saving your notes. Plus it has the added feature of no highlighting!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man, Microsoft really needs to make official office apps. I use Quickoffice Pro HD; it seems to be the best as far as for working with dropbox and Office files. That said it still lacks a ton of things that a desktop based version has that I had taken for granted. The apple apps are really nice, but I hate that they don't work with DropBox, and I much prefer their Mac Office counterparts that run on a normal OS, so the ease of integration has also kept me with Microsoft Office + DropBox + Quickoffice. For me, Quickoffice is the best work around. Hopefully Microsoft comes out with real apps.



It's weird getting used to typing on the screen, but I would only get a keyboard if you don't have a laptop or desktop. I use my iPad as a replacement for the 10 binders with millions of sheets of paper I used to carry around, not as a replacement for a fully functional computer. Screen protectors aren't really needed in my experience, but idk, you'd probably have to do some research on that for a 1G iPad! Good luck 👍



You can run Windows 8 on the iPad (and therefore, any windows program).
 
No idea... It must not be the same coating. All I know is I've never used a screen guard on my iPhone 4 or iPad 3 and they are fine :/

How do you like the iPad 3? I got my iPad returned (was a gift to my parents) after they bought the iPad 3 but they complain about the heating problem. I was thinking about getting the iPad 2 because I want to be able to hold it comfortably.

Any solutions? Did you buy a case that allows you to handle the new iPad comfortably?
 
How do you like the iPad 3? I got my iPad returned (was a gift to my parents) after they bought the iPad 3 but they complain about the heating problem. I was thinking about getting the iPad 2 because I want to be able to hold it comfortably.

Any solutions? Did you buy a case that allows you to handle the new iPad comfortably?

I have an iPad 3 and have never had any problems with heat, even while using resource-intensive apps and watching videos.
 
How do you like the iPad 3? I got my iPad returned (was a gift to my parents) after they bought the iPad 3 but they complain about the heating problem. I was thinking about getting the iPad 2 because I want to be able to hold it comfortably.

Any solutions? Did you buy a case that allows you to handle the new iPad comfortably?

I really like it! I think for anyone wanting to upgrade an iPad 2, the improvements are too subtle to warrant the cost, but for a first time tablet owner, it is incredible! I too have never heard of a over-heating issue, but then again, I have always used the iPad 3 in a Targus Slim Case, so I might just not have noticed it. That said, I have never noticed a decline in performance either.

I guess the one negative thing I could say, is that the battery takes FOREVER to charge, around 7ish hours for a completely dead battery. The new retina display uses a ton more power (and even more if you use 4G), so to keep the longevity of the battery, they had to double the battery's wattage or something, making it take much longer to charge. I just have to remember to plug it in at night. Fortunately, the battery does last all day, so I'm always good, just wish I wasn't screwed if I had forgotten to plug it in!
 
I really like it! I think for anyone wanting to upgrade an iPad 2, the improvements are too subtle to warrant the cost, but for a first time tablet owner, it is incredible! I too have never heard of a over-heating issue, but then again, I have always used the iPad 3 in a Targus Slim Case, so I might just not have noticed it. That said, I have never noticed a decline in performance either.

I guess the one negative thing I could say, is that the battery takes FOREVER to charge, around 7ish hours for a completely dead battery. The new retina display uses a ton more power (and even more if you use 4G), so to keep the longevity of the battery, they had to double the battery's wattage or something, making it take much longer to charge. I just have to remember to plug it in at night. Fortunately, the battery does last all day, so I'm always good, just wish I wasn't screwed if I had forgotten to plug it in!

Is iPad 1 to 3 justified? My dad has the new one and it looks quite posh, but I don't know what I'd do with it that I can't do with the first generation one.
 
Is iPad 1 to 3 justified? My dad has the new one and it looks quite posh, but I don't know what I'd do with it that I can't do with the first generation one.

I would like to know this too.

I bought iAnnotate a week or 2 ago and it keeps crashing for some reason (PDF file too big? or memory problem?). I don't like the way it lags and was thinking about upgrading and handing it off to my wife.
 
I would like to know this too.

I bought iAnnotate a week or 2 ago and it keeps crashing for some reason (PDF file too big? or memory problem?). I don't like the way it lags and was thinking about upgrading and handing it off to my wife.

mine works just fine. are you importing PDFs or using the converter? Either way I have not had issues and I have pulled some rather large files into it.... do you have the experimental features enabled?
 
mine works just fine. are you importing PDFs or using the converter? Either way I have not had issues and I have pulled some rather large files into it.... do you have the experimental features enabled?

I have used Adobe Acrobat to recognize text on several PDFs, saved onto Dropbox and downloaded onto my iPad.

I have not enabled experimental features. Sorry I'm still kind of new to iAnnotate. Is there a user guide for optimization or such? I have skimmed through the official user guide.
 
no, the dropbox thing should work just fine if the file is already in .pdf. I actually use primo PDF to convert word and other documents into iannotate. also, iannotate will recognize text on its own.... I am not sure but I wonder if this double dipping with adobe is making the program freak out? I wouldnt think so.... what is the file size you are having difficulty with?
 
I would like to know this too.

I bought iAnnotate a week or 2 ago and it keeps crashing for some reason (PDF file too big? or memory problem?). I don't like the way it lags and was thinking about upgrading and handing it off to my wife.
Have you tried closing other open apps? Doing so will free up RAM.
 
no, the dropbox thing should work just fine if the file is already in .pdf. I actually use primo PDF to convert word and other documents into iannotate. also, iannotate will recognize text on its own.... I am not sure but I wonder if this double dipping with adobe is making the program freak out? I wouldnt think so.... what is the file size you are having difficulty with?

10-20mb

It crashes when I annotate sometimes. And it loads some of the PDFs very slowly. Maybe I should not use Acrobat to recognize text?

(You guys are using iPad 1 right?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a memory issue.

Still thinking about upgrading to iPad 2 or 3.

Or wait for Lenovo Yoga.

Man! I was finally letting go of the Yoga dream, and you brought it back for me...that thing looks amazing. Hoping that it'll be featured in the new MS store near me.
 
As more and more apps are optimized for "retina graphics," they will require more and more processing power. Unfortunately it sounds like the 1G iPad is having processing issues or something, trying to keep up with the new software. Compared to the first iPad, I would say go for the upgrade. Aside from the slow battery charge, I really have nothing to complain about 🙂 But go into an Apple store if there is one next to you and see if you would like it! After holding up an iPad 1 next to an iPad 2 next to an iPad 3... I thought I would never see huge differences but the increasing sharpness of each subsequent generation is incredible.

It works great to annotate school PDFs with Notability and PDF Expert.
 
As more and more apps are optimized for "retina graphics," they will require more and more processing power. Unfortunately it sounds like the 1G iPad is having processing issues or something, trying to keep up with the new software. Compared to the first iPad, I would say go for the upgrade. Aside from the slow battery charge, I really have nothing to complain about 🙂 But go into an Apple store if there is one next to you and see if you would like it! After holding up an iPad 1 next to an iPad 2 next to an iPad 3... I thought I would never see huge differences but the increasing sharpness of each subsequent generation is incredible.

It works great to annotate school PDFs with Notability and PDF Expert.

I was trying to convince my spouse to let me buy an iPad 3 at the Apple store. She wouldn't have it!

I think I'm gonna try again 🙂
 
As more and more apps are optimized for "retina graphics," they will require more and more processing power. Unfortunately it sounds like the 1G iPad is having processing issues or something, trying to keep up with the new software. Compared to the first iPad, I would say go for the upgrade. Aside from the slow battery charge, I really have nothing to complain about 🙂 But go into an Apple store if there is one next to you and see if you would like it! After holding up an iPad 1 next to an iPad 2 next to an iPad 3... I thought I would never see huge differences but the increasing sharpness of each subsequent generation is incredible.

It works great to annotate school PDFs with Notability and PDF Expert.
Thanks for the info, I didn't consider that the apps would get more ram heavy for retina display.

I am a snob with my iPad (only really use NYT, Economist, and Safari), so I figured that I wouldn't need anything too powerful for something like infinity blade 2 or whatnot (though that looks awesome).

Man, I wish I had more/owed less money.
 
I was trying to convince my spouse to let me buy an iPad 3 at the Apple store. She wouldn't have it!

I think I'm gonna try again 🙂

Haha just tell her it's to save money! I actually had the same conversation with my fiancé... who subsequently pulled out one of those monthly pads, wrote a 3 on it, and told me to be happy lol. But seriously, my iPad has already almost payed for itself, even though the 3 only came out a month ago! We have to pay to have class syllabi printed out for us :/ not to mention all the self-made study guides I used to print out and organize. I've saved quite a bit on all the printing costs! I wish I would have thought of it at the beginning, then I could have been even more in the green... haha

Man, I wish I had more/owed less money.

Haha me too, it sucks that this iPad will eventually cost me 3x as much or something.
 
I'll go ahead and bring this thread back to life...

I'm an incoming student (starting in August), and I just bought an iPad 3. I'm looking for a 3D anatomy app to supplement whatever text I buy. I've done some research, so here's my question:

To anyone who has experience with these apps, can you compare and contrast these two: the NOVA series (Brain Pro, Muscle Pro, Skeletal System Pro, etc.) and the Visible Body series.

Thanks!
 
Haha, I hope you like it too, just because I talked it up so much! But I think you'll be happy 🙂

Okay so I went overboard and bought an Ipad 2 (for my wife) and an Ipad 3 months ago.

Reviews:

Ipad 1:

It's crap. Crashes all the time, slow, and you can still sell it at a good price ($300-325)

Ipad 2:

Screen is still the same, lighter, faster, and a big improvement from Ipad 1. Bought it for as much as I sold the Ipad 1. Best deal ever. Oh yeah, there's a camera on both sides. FACETIME 🙂

Ipad 3:

Screen is way better. And also hotter (it's the bad kind of hot). And heavier. However, I still enjoy it a lot (,Alot) better than Ipad 1. PDFs and apps look very sexy. Oh yeah, they also don't crash randomly (well, once in a while they do) as much as the Ipad 1. Also bought this at a discounted price. Facetime with the wifey.

Overall:

I like having the Ipad 3. I wish it was as light and cool as the Ipad 2 but the screen is just beautiful.
 
I'll go ahead and bring this thread back to life...

I'm an incoming student (starting in August), and I just bought an iPad 3. I'm looking for a 3D anatomy app to supplement whatever text I buy. I've done some research, so here's my question:

To anyone who has experience with these apps, can you compare and contrast these two: the NOVA series (Brain Pro, Muscle Pro, Skeletal System Pro, etc.) and the Visible Body series.

Thanks!

My friend had Visible Body and liked it a lot. No experience with the NOVA series.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone use quick office pro HD?

Does it have all the functionalities as MS Office 2010? Should I buy it for $20?
 
I bought iAnnotate a week or 2 ago and it keeps crashing for some reason (PDF file too big? or memory problem?). I don't like the way it lags and was thinking about upgrading and handing it off to my wife.


Try GoodReader. $4.99, incredible for massive pdfs. Really easy to organize, color code, bookmark, etc. I haven't found anything missing that would make me want to use iAnnotate instead, and it works better for the big files, even on the iPad 1.
 
GoodReader is excellent for huge PDFs, I have used it to read scanned textbooks.

Try GoodReader. $4.99, incredible for massive pdfs. Really easy to organize, color code, bookmark, etc. I haven't found anything missing that would make me want to use iAnnotate instead, and it works better for the big files, even on the iPad 1.
 
Anyone use quick office pro HD?

Does it have all the functionalities as MS Office 2010? Should I buy it for $20?

Supposedly MS Office is coming to iPad come November or so, so I'd hold off. I have QUick Office, and it's useful for converting files to ppt and has really great sync options with many different cloud services (although it is far more useful downloading files than uploading them). You can create Powerpoints and spreadsheets on it, but obviously those are far easier to do on a laptop.