Must READ: Osteo Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popoy

SDN Super Moderator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to suggest a couple of books for all you pre-osteopathic students:

The D.O.: Osteopathic Medicine in America
by
Norman Gevitz

and

Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress
by
R. Michael Gallagher, D.O.
Frederick J. Humphrey, II, D.O.

Just in case you have time to kill. If any, Norman Gevitz's book is definitely a must read for anyone interested in the profession.

Have fun reading!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently reading Gevitz book. The other book was a little on the expensive side (~$30.+) if I remember correctly. I recommend Gevitz. I know that Dr. Evans at LECOM will be testing us on the Hx of Osteopathic medicine during OPP. Dr. Evans always tells the story of Andrew Still having a headache and falling asleep with the base of the occiput resting on a rope swing. After waking he realized his headache was gone and this was the start of Osteopathy. I didn't read anything like that in the book. Has anyone ever heard that story? :confused:

LisaP,
The story that was told to you was actually out of A.T. Stills' AUTOBIOGRAPHY... I have had the privilege to read it and if you get a chance you should....

But that story about sleeping in a rope and eleviating his headache was in the first couple of chapters of the book.... I can't tell you excatly were in his autobiography but it's definitely in the beginning.... It actually ends the chapter (to where ever chapter that was)....

Your Dr. Evans, is right about it.... I'm not sure if he told you but that story about AT Stills sleeping was a recollection of his childhood.... So, thus he claims that even then he knew that Osteopathy was born!!! :D

Fair warning about A.T. Stills autobiography.... The man likes to use a lot of parables, stories, etc.... Not an easy read at all, but definitely interesting to know. A.T. Stills did not want to hire anyone to write about him and thought that it would be best to write it himself as he sees it and not exaggerated by some other writer.... He was a minister's/doctor's son... :D So he likes to lecture :D

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
hippuppy,

You're welcome.... The one that is the most important to read, I think is Gevitz because most osteopathic med schools use it in their curriculum. The other one tackles the current issue of the autonomy of osteopaths to allopaths and I'm not sure how much of that will come up in your interview....

Good luck in the application process.... I'm sure you'll get interviews before you know it. :cool:

Hey Popoy, Gevitz is a good suggestion. I read it last Fall and it opened my eyes to the osteopathic profession. It is definetly helpful for interviews. I am currently reading it again. I have not read the Reformtion book but I might (its hard to part with $30 all at once). I'm starting at TCOM in 7 weeks so I may not read a thing until then.

Homer J

HomerJ,

You might want to hold on to that $30 if you have to... The book was insightful but not worth the money if you're saving up. I'm sure it'll turn up in your Library at TCOM.... The book is set up like a textbook and not like Gevitz at all.... It does alude alot to Gevitz' book. So, don't buy it yet.... just when you get a chance....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Gevitz!!! :cool:

Thanks for the tip Popoy. Off-the-subject I think I will dub thee "Post Master" because it looks like you have posted 200 over the weekend. :D Maybe you should think about getting some sort of life or something. ;) Who am I kiddin, I'm just green with envy. :D :D :D

Homer J

LOL!!! Thanks HomerJ.... That's pretty much my life right now.... NIL.... NADDA.... ZILCH!!!... I'm in transition between moving and medical school... thus, have nothing else to do other than read books, surf the net, check email, etc.... I have a better appreciation for my new found freedom. :D

I'm sure my postings will start decreasing soon enough, I might be working sometime soon... before medical school starts and then when medical school starts... I'll be lucky if I post only a couple a week...

:D :) :D :)