MWU AZ vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3Angelo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am a Texas resident who has been accepted to MWU-AZ and USC. Just a little bit of backstory... I know people will grill me for not trying to go to school in Texas because of how much cheaper tuition is, but I am a California native who also lived in Arizona, and my entire family is in the west coast (California, Arizona, Washington). I stuck it out working in the Texas Medical Center as a trauma care registered nurse while struggling through the prereqs at University of Houston... I have missed too many family events (including, unfortunately, not seeing some loved ones for a long time before they passed away). I also declined an interview at UNLV which was scheduled the same week my grandmother passed away... It's time for me to go home so I can be closer to my loved ones =).

Anyway, MWU-AZ vs. USC seems like it would be an easy decision. MWU-AZ blew me away in terms of how beautiful the campus was, how technologically advanced the institute was, and how close-knit and family-oriented everyone was during the interview. Some other things that are bonuses include the fact that the program itself is in a popular retirement community (huge patient base!), having your own chair, having D3-D4 mentorships, and having a lot more procedure volume since there aren't any specialty programs at the school. USC, on the other hand, seems like a program that is just hanging on to its "tradition" and "big name". I've heard a lot of negative things about PBL and it sounds like I won't get the same clinical experience at USC... and of course, while MWU-AZ is very expensive in its own right, USC is even more absurdly expensive. HOWEVER, the reason this decision is tough is because I have family members in Southern California who are in the dental profession (as dentists or dental hygienists, and even a manager for an orthodontist's office in Encino, CA) who are saying the alumni network of USC is massive and just being a USC graduate is a huge deal in terms of getting a good gig or even getting into a specialty program. USC does have all the specialty programs in-house, whereas MWU-AZ focuses primarily on general dentistry. It's just weird to see such contrasting opinions on USC because let's be honest... there's quite a bit of dirt being thrown on USC in these forums haha.

Sorry for this long post, but yeah... I would appreciate if anyone offers input on this! Currently, I'm in favor of MWU-AZ... but I can't seem to be 100% sure on a decision lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While SDN forums are great for certain things, they are also not so great for other things. There are bad things said about each dental school on these forums. MWU-AZ does have a higher focus on clinical experience but realistically, we will all be in a similar boat after graduation in regards to clinical abilities. I visited both campuses and each had their own positives and negatives. I would make a list of pros/cons of each school, reach out to current students and then decide if the cost difference is worth going to USC over MWU-AZ.

Midwestern for sure. Problem based learning, residency programs, absurd tuition, etc. Enough to say no to USC. You can specialize from any school as long as you work hard. I would go to Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 users
Midwestern for sure. Problem based learning, residency programs, absurd tuition, etc. Enough to say no to USC. You can specialize from any school as long as you work hard. I would go to Midwestern.

I officially rejected USC haha. MWU-AZ it is! (but still holding onto hope for an interview from UoP)

Reactions: 1 users