My application and MCAT timeline.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZSVDK_HNORC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions about my current timeline, so here's where I'm at:

I'm currently a Junior in undergrad. I've changed majors before and now I'm on a 4 and 1/2 year track and I will be graduating in December 2015. Since I switched majors, I'm behind in some pre reqs. I will finish all my pre reqs by the end of next year, May 2015. I would like to take the MCAT in August 2015, prior to my final semester. I will start to apply to schools in Aug-Sep 2015, in hopes of starting med school by September 2016.

I've read lots of stuff advising students not to take the MCAT in August because its too late for applications and all that. After receiving my MCAT score, and if it goes well, I should have about 10 months to get accepted right? Is this timeline plausible and realistic? Should I start the application process prior to receiving my MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan of starting to apply in August-September is bad. That is way too late to have a comfortable chance of getting into medical school. I say late July is already kind of late to be submitting your AMCAS. Is it too much to delay until next year while working on your extracurricular activities?

Reactions: 1 user
You don't want to take the mcat that late. April should be about the latest. It takes about a month to get your test scored also. If you did bad you won't have any time to retake. Even assuming if you do good you won't get your score till September and your application won't be complete until then because of waiting on the score. Also amcas takes a month to verify at minimum and submitting around August might take up to 2 months like this year because at that time they have an onslaught of applications to process.

Interviews tend to take place before the new year so you actually do not have 10 months to get accepted. Applying early with a complete application is a HUGE factor. I would aim to submit the application with everything before June ends. And don't forget you have to wait for your application to get processed and then do secondaries which will also take a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions about my current timeline, so here's where I'm at:

I'm currently a Junior in undergrad. I've changed majors before and now I'm on a 4 and 1/2 year track and I will be graduating in December 2015. Since I switched majors, I'm behind in some pre reqs. I will finish all my pre reqs by the end of next year, May 2015. I would like to take the MCAT in August 2015, prior to my final semester. I will start to apply to schools in Aug-Sep 2015, in hopes of starting med school by September 2016.

I've read lots of stuff advising students not to take the MCAT in August because its too late for applications and all that. After receiving my MCAT score, and if it goes well, I should have about 10 months to get accepted right? Is this timeline plausible and realistic? Should I start the application process prior to receiving my MCAT score?

You seem uninformed about the application process...but nothing to be ashamed, we all were. I would definitely not suggest taking the MCAT next season and those 10 months (September until next July)...in reality schools stop looking for candidates in February and also most of time is waiting time...you will also be at a disadvantage apply that late as the pool will be saturated with competitive applicants and your chances of an interview will lessen (especially with an ordinary application). Please be more specific about which pre-reqs you have not taken. You can afford to skip Orgo II and the writing requirement if that's any help. Also, maybe we can help with your scheduling?

You seem uninformed about the application process...but nothing to be ashamed, we all were. I would definitely not suggest taking the MCAT next season and those 10 months (September until next July)...in reality schools stop looking for candidates in February and also most of time is waiting time...you will also be at a disadvantage apply that late as the pool will be saturated with competitive applicants and your chances of an interview will lessen (especially with an ordinary application). Please be more specific about which pre-reqs you have not taken. You can afford to skip Orgo II and the writing requirement if that's any help. Also, maybe we can help with your scheduling?

All right after this upcoming semester, I will still need to take Orgo I and II as well as Physics I and II. Would taking Orgo I over the summer and planning to take the MCAT this time next year make more sense?

That's quite a bit! I would definitely recommend taking the MCAT sometime around this time next year. Studying physics without prior experience would be extremely difficult. I recommend Organic I this summer and start studying for the MCAT concurrently (especially the Biology and Chemistry portions via Berkeley Review). Then during the school year next fall, complete the Organic Portion while taking Organic II (if Orgo II is offered in fall, if not..nbd..it'll require a tiny bit of self teaching...main thing is something called Claisen Condensation but the thing is you should have learnt the concept behind it in Orgo I). Finally take Physics I in the Fall and Physics II in the Spring. Starting in Christmas Break, start doing the Berkeley Physics passages. Also at this time start doing 3 passages from EK 101, TPRH verbal, etc. per day. Now, aim to have all the Berkeley Science stuff completed by the end of January (don't fall behind). Then spend the rest of the time by cycling (Day 1 Bio, Day 2 Orgo, Day 3 Physics, Day 4 Chemistry) from February to April and then take the MCAT in late April. If you need a retake, doing it in Mid June won't kill your app. All this is just my opinion but I hope it helps! Take full lengths on Saturday mornings during next Spring and give yourself the entire day off to avoid burnout. This is all assuming you apply in 2015. 2014 is definitely pushing it in my opinion.

Taking the MCAT later than July is shooting yourself in the foot for that cycle, and not studying for 3 months in advance of the MCAT is similarly shooting yourself in the foot.

If you're on a 4.5 year track as it is, I would just take 1/2 year off were I you. There's no need to rush things. You won't even see your loans come out of deferment.

That's quite a bit! I would definitely recommend taking the MCAT sometime around this time next year. Studying physics without prior experience would be extremely difficult. I recommend Organic I this summer and start studying for the MCAT concurrently (especially the Biology and Chemistry portions via Berkeley Review). Then during the school year next fall, complete the Organic Portion while taking Organic II (if Orgo II is offered in fall, if not..nbd..it'll require a tiny bit of self teaching...main thing is something called Claisen Condensation but the thing is you should have learnt the concept behind it in Orgo I). Finally take Physics I in the Fall and Physics II in the Spring. Starting in Christmas Break, start doing the Berkeley Physics passages. Also at this time start doing 3 passages from EK 101, TPRH verbal, etc. per day. Now, aim to have all the Berkeley Science stuff completed by the end of January (don't fall behind). Then spend the rest of the time by cycling (Day 1 Bio, Day 2 Orgo, Day 3 Physics, Day 4 Chemistry) from February to April and then take the MCAT in late April. If you need a retake, doing it in Mid June won't kill your app. All this is just my opinion but I hope it helps! Take full lengths on Saturday mornings during next Spring and give yourself the entire day off to avoid burnout. This is all assuming you apply in 2015. 2014 is definitely pushing it in my opinion.

Thanks for all your help so far. Over the summer I have to take anatomy for my major and its known as a hard class thats very time consuming. Orgo I during summer is an accelerated class to be finished in 1 month. I think I may be better suited to take Orgo I next fall semester. That way I will finish with Orgo and Physics I by end of 1st semester next year. Then I start MCAT studying right after 1st semester and take the MCAT in April.

Sorry to sound like a burden, our premed advisors aren't the best at explaining timelines and what not.