My application will be complete in Late July... Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbowers003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some advice:

When I say "complete" I mean I will take that MCAT on July 25th, but I understand that my application is not fully complete until my scores are received.

I've made the decision to take the entire summer to study for the MCAT, since I really want to do well on it. However, since it's going to be later in the cycle, my plan was to ONLY apply to the schools in my state (I'm from Michigan, so I've got 7 schools to apply to fortunately).

My logic being that why spend money on so many out of state schools applications since I am so late in the cycle (both DO and MD), when I have 7 potential chances for just in state? If I did not get any interviews, I would apply to many more schools the following cycle (re-taking the MCAT and bolstering my EC's as necessary)

What does anyone or everyone think? Good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Being complete at the end of August isn't that late IMO. Just apply broadly like you normally would and you should be fine assuming your stats are up to par and you do well on the MCAT.

A. August isn't that late. I took the July 25th mcat and was complete in late august, but I've done fine (6 interviews 1 acceptance) While earlier's always better, august is by no means too late.

B. I'd say you just have to take some practice tests after studying and see where you are. If you're good enough to be in range for OOS you're interested in, no point in waiting a year. I thought about only applying in state or low tier until I got my scores, but at that point you are gonna be complete pretty late and be totally bogged by secondaries.

PM me if you have any questions! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being complete at the end of August isn't that late IMO. Just apply broadly like you normally would and you should be fine assuming your stats are up to par and you do well on the MCAT.

Great, thanks. Ive got a 3.9 Right now and a 3.96 sGPA, I'm a scribe in the ER, volunteered, honors thesis, shadowing, etc etc, so I think my last step is to really do well on the MCAT.

A. August isn't that late. I took the July 25th mcat and was complete in late august, but I've done fine (6 interviews 1 acceptance) While earlier's always better, august is by no means too late.

B. I'd say you just have to take some practice tests after studying and see where you are. If you're good enough to be in range for OOS you're interested in, no point in waiting a year. I thought about only applying in state or low tier until I got my scores, but at that point you are gonna be complete pretty late and be totally bogged by secondaries.

PM me if you have any questions! Good luck!

I may take you up on the PM offer after I consider my options more, but thank you for your advice! I think that is precisely what I'll do.