My best bet?

Started by medpup
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medpup

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I need help! Here is my situation: I am a biology degree grad with a low GPA: cum 3.3 and Science/math 3.0-3.1. I am looking into the CCNY and Hunter Postbacs but am unsure if they are geared toward students like me who already have the pre-req's. Also I want to go to the program that will give me a bigger edge on admissions (granted I get a high GPA in Postbac and high MCAT score).

So should I do a postbac at one of these schools? Or try to get into an SMP?

What would be my best bet?

Thanks! Any info is appreciated!
JM
 
I'm in the same boat too, cum 2.92, BCPM 3.2-3.3. I just took this past August's MCAT and plan to enroll in a post-bac program for a year or two to boost up my GPA, while doing more volunteer and shadowing work.

Most of the post-bac programs I've been looking at have been geared towards the disadvantaged/minority groups or for pre-meds who weren't bio majors that need to take their pre-requisites. I guess the best bet is to contact the guidance counselors at these schools and let them know about your situation.
 
I was in your boat a few years ago. I was a bio major and had a 2.9 cumulative GPA and around 2.9 for my sci GPA. I graduated in 2005, did what was basically an SMP in 2006, and got into medical school (MCV) that year (no glide year).

The opinions on whether to do a undergrad-level postbac program or an SMP differ mainly on how people weigh the undergraduate GPA. Many, especially from the west coast, say that your best bet will be to take Ugrad classes and pull up the GPA. With a low GPA, however, it will take a significant amount of classes to do that. Let's say that you graduated with 120 credits at a 3.3. To pull that up to a 3.5 you need to take 48 credits and get a 4.0 in all of them.

If you began with a 2.9 you have to take 144 credits to raise the GPA to 3.5. That is another 4.5 years of Ugrad taking 16 credits a semester!

I do not agree with this, especially for people who were science majors. If you have already taken the pre-recs and science classes higher than the prerecs, why would you take a step back down to the 200-level? Your application should be moving forward and improving at every step of the way. You should not be going backward. An SMP will allow you to move forward by taking graduate level courses.

The best thing that SMPs offer is a distinct line between the 'undergrad you' who had crappy grades, and the 'graduate school you' who will hopefully knock the program out of the park. By making this distinct line, you are penalized less for poor grades. Ugrad grades become less of an issue as it is easier to distinguish yourself from your early college carrer and show how you have matured and grown as a student. These programs are also designed to get people with lack-luster numbers into medical school. They are designed with people like you in mind.

Some things to consider: generally these programs are really hard. If you don't come prepared you will get demolished. If you get demolished you won't ever get into medical school.

How much they cost: some programs are really expensive and others are not.

What medical school the program is assocaited with?: If the SMP does not have an associated medical school, don't go there (ie Georgetown SMP has georgetown med school but the American U post-bac program does not have its own medical school). Your best bet is to get into the medical school associated with the SMP so pick your SMP accordingly.

Figure out the numbers: what is the rate of acceptance to medical school from these programs?


From my experience on the east coast, the SMPs are recommended for people who have done the pre-recs and the post-bacs are recommended for people who were not science majors or have not taken the prerecs.

Word to the wise: don't take advice from people who are a few years out of college and are still not in medical school. Apparently what they are doing is not working.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Instatewaiter said:
here is a link to a search engine provided by AAMC. It includes both graduate and undergraduate programs
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/


Thanks so much for your advice! I feel like you read my mind. The only problem I have is that I am limited to the SMP programs I have (at least I think so). I can only stay within NYC or close to it. So the only programs I know of is NYMC and Mt Sinais Prep-Med (new program). I don't know of any others. The NYMC requires I take the GRE and the Prep-Med requires I take the MCAT (so they can work on making it higher). What to do? Well I guess I have to research more. But thanks again, you helped a lot!