My Black Skin Makes My White Coat Vanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unbelievable. Oh wait, did she say Delta airlines? Well just recently they kicked a famous Arabic Youtuber off of the plane for speaking arabic. They have such a bad repetition of being racist.

Members don't see this ad.

Unbelievable. Oh wait, did she say Delta airlines? Well just recently they kicked a famous Arabic Youtuber off of the plane for speaking arabic. They have such a bad repetition of being racist.

Hmmmmmmmmm:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I don't think anyone should hope that Obama will turn everything around in our society. People's minds have to be changed on an individual level. And we have to do our job to mentor those behind us so that seeing a minority in a long white coat isn't such a shocker.
Amen and Amen!!!!

Sometimes it is not racism just disappointment as if you are being held up to a different standard. For example when I volunteered in the ER, a man asked me why I was volunteering. I told him because of my interest in medicine etc. He then said, "oh you are not doing this for a program or some kind of probation/court ordered community service?" I told him no. He then shook his head as if to say "okay, not bad... good for you".

Or in other situations when volunteering, patients/families would ask what I did. And when I told them I was a college student their eyes would perk up and they would say "oh that is great". It wasn't a bad thing they would always be so happy for me. In some places, for blacks that type success is unexpected. And in other places it is not welcomed.
Damn condescending. I remember a family ask if I am a janitor. I just ignored them because it was written on my jacket what I am. I am sure they are not illiterate!