my chance of getting accepted into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bossman313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am trying to gauge how high I should score on my DAT and how much of a chance do I have of getting into dental school. Here are my stats:
ogpa: 3.35
spa: 3.30
volunteer hours: 500+
shadowing hours: 100
took leadership roles by starting my own student org, taking leadership roles in my community
I retook 2 classes and got a C in microbiology, I also took 3 of my sciences at a community college due to money issues
also, would you recommend a post bacc/masters?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a lower sgpa (3.2) and got a 21 AA/TS, Ive had 6 interviews. I would apply as long as your DAT score is avg (19-20)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @MavsFanForLife just try to score as high as possible on the DAT dedicate as much time as you need to it. And I doubt the CC classes would be a issue I took half my classes at a CC and I got 5 interviews already but it wouldn't hurt to take a few science courses just to boost that sGPA even if its at a CC.

If you have a strong personal statement and LOR I'd go ahead and apply with 18+ but obviously higher the better.

I am in a similar situation. Please also offer any advice. Thank you

Need advice. I have an engineering degree and now in Barry Masters Medical Science program trying to get into dental school. I need advice

1. Undergraduate Engineering Overall GPA: 2.90
Graduate school Medical Biomedical program GPA: 3.28 (Ethics: A, Anatomy: B, Physiology: B, Medical Microbiology: A, Oral Pathology: B)
DAT score: AA=19, TS=20
State of Residence:
South Carolina

1. Shadowing Experience: 4 dentists = 500 hrs
  2. Community service: 500 hrs (habitat for humanity, meals on wheels, etc)
  3. Currently volunteering at Free Clinic in Miami area = 50 hrs

I am in a similar situation. Please also offer any advice. Thank you

Need advice. I have an engineering degree and now in Barry Masters Medical Science program trying to get into dental school. I need advice

1. Undergraduate Engineering Overall GPA: 2.90
Graduate school Medical Biomedical program GPA: 3.28 (Ethics: A, Anatomy: B, Physiology: B, Medical Microbiology: A, Oral Pathology: B)
DAT score: AA=19, TS=20
State of Residence:
South Carolina

1. Shadowing Experience: 4 dentists = 500 hrs
  2. Community service: 500 hrs (habitat for humanity, meals on wheels, etc)
  3. Currently volunteering at Free Clinic in Miami area = 50 hrs
NORMALLY I would never tell a someone who got 19-20 DAT to retake, but in your situation I think it would be best. While you did do well in some classes in your grad school, dental schools want to see 3.5+ for grad school. A high DAT may help some schools overlook your gpa. Dont give up though, I had a 3.2 sgpa and was able to do pretty well on the DAT (21,21,23 ts,aa,rc) to secure a spot in dental school! You got this

Reactions: 1 user
NORMALLY I would never tell a someone who got 19-20 DAT to retake, but in your situation I think it would be best. While you did do well in some classes in your grad school, dental schools want to see 3.5+ for grad school. A high DAT may help some schools overlook your gpa. Dont give up though, I had a 3.2 sgpa and was able to do pretty well on the DAT (21,21,23 ts,aa,rc) to secure a spot in dental school! You got this
Something to think about though is that most schools will look your most recent DAT (from what I've heard). If you do decide to retake make sure you put a ton of effort into the test because it can be pretty hard to raise your scores. I would really try to just get A's from here on out to boost your gpa and finding a school that you fit with. I agree with @MavsFanForLife though, don't give up! I got accepted with a 3.12 sgpa and a 18AA

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice. I will continue to work super because I really want this. AEZDent what school did you get into? Thanks again!

Thank you for your advice. I will continue to work super because I really want this. AEZDent what school did you get into? Thanks again!
Creighton University. However I should say that parts of my application are probably pretty unique compared to most and my personal statement and future plans really matted the schools mission statement. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

Creighton University. However I should say that parts of my application are probably pretty unique compared to most and my personal statement and future plans really matted the schools mission statement. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

Hey AEZ Dent,

I appreciate your advice and encouragement! I am interested to get your perspective on what you did to help improve your application and to learn more from you about Creighton Dental School. Is there any way I can reach out to you?

Thank You.

If you want you can start a conversation with me here or if another way works better let me know