My Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZRCMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got the general idea. Thank you to everyone who helped.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: Waiting

E.C.

Hospital Volunteering: Volunteered at a Children's Hospital (about 150 hrs) working with various patients, helping families, assisting nurses, etc.

Shadowing- Surgery Internship (I shadowed/helped a surgeon for a semester/culminated with journal compilation of my experiences), Cardiologist (35 hours), Family Practice Doc (24 hours).

Martial Arts - VERY proficient. On a pretty elite Jiu Jitsu competition team. Former champion. Have been involved in Muay Thai and Judo in my youth. Have been a student of some famous professional fighters (probably doesn't matter to ADCOMS though)

Tutoring - Literacy tutor for struggling middle school students (a semester).

Habitat for Humanity - Volunteer off and on at construction sites building homes for people in financial struggles (should total 300 hours by the time I apply)

Service to Homeless: Helped a Church before freshman year in serving lunches to homeless. Also helped provide them with clothing, bus tickets, toiletries, information on shelters, etc.

Alpha Epsilon Delta: Member

Alzheimer's Association Internship: Helped the organization with various things. Provided information/education to families affected. (one semester)

EMT: Completed EMT school but haven't done anything with it yet. Not sure whether to even include it. Probably won't.

Various Honor Societies.

Helpful/Realistic critiques are very welcome. Are there any gaps, flaws, shortcommings? Thanks in advance to all who are willing to help me with educated advice.

Stuff looks good, but post again with your MCAT. Too much is hypothetical til then.

Stuff looks good, but post again with your MCAT. Too much is hypothetical til then.

I edited my diagnostic score in there. I will do whatever it takes to get at least that 33 on test day and keep my GPA 3.7+. However, I'm really looking for critiques on my ECs. Do I have any gaps? Missing something vital?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have anything to list for leadership?

The martial arts thing is great. It shows true discipline and dedication.

You're correct that EMT certification doesn't mean much without having used it for a volunteer or workplace position. Maybe you could mention it in the PS though.

You seem pretty strong in humanitarian service. About 40% of those applying don't have research, so don't worry about it if everything else is good. Just don't apply to the "top twenty" who generally expect a strong research experience, or, for a small minority, a standout leadership or humnistic background. You might consider combining your service credientials with some leadership by taking the point position in some kind of a fund raiser(s) for your favorite organization.

Is there any way I can make up for research in other areas? Really not interested in doing research...

You don't have to do research. Don't go do something you don't want to, because if you are asked about at interview, you may not be in the happiest situation. Nearly 40% of candidates do not report research. And hey, many of them get in too haha

Do you have anything to list for leadership?

The martial arts thing is great. It shows true discipline and dedication.

You're correct that EMT certification doesn't mean much without having used it for a volunteer or workplace position. Maybe you could mention it in the PS though.

You seem pretty strong in humanitarian service. About 40% of those applying don't have research, so don't worry about it if everything else is good. Just don't apply to the "top twenty" who generally expect a strong research experience, or, for a small minority, a standout leadership or humnistic background. You might consider combining your service credientials with some leadership by taking the point position in some kind of a fund raiser(s) for your favorite organization.

Thank you for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it. Generally, though (with my given stats and activities), how competitive would you say I am? Do I stand a good chance at getting some multiple acceptances?