You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Please help. What are my chances of getting into MD/DO this cycle?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just why? Are you ESL, 121 is like 30% correct. Some schools have 125 cutoffs, the fact that your second score is worse than the first one could be a red flag. Ditto with your poor judgment to rush into the test in 2 weeks after your 1st try.Yes I took the MCAT two weeks apart
doctor.dreams
Full Member
Not ESL, English is not my first language. I learned English at 5, and come from a Spanish speaking household. But I do not know how my score was so low to be honest.Just why? Are you ESL, 121 is like 30% correct. Some schools have 125 cutoffs, the fact that your second score is worse than the first one could be a red flag. Ditto with your poor judgment to rush into the test in 2 weeks after your 1st try.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These two are mutually exclusive.Not ESL
English is not my first language.
Ask Faha and Goro for school list and apply broadly targeting new schools.
Pretty nonexistent for MD schools. Even as a URM that 121 CARS hurts. I think you should be able to get into some DO schools. Not sure about the top DO schools. The top schools have MCAT averages of 507+. But your 4.0 and ECs should help.
Not ESL, English is not my first language. I learned English at 5, and come from a Spanish speaking household. But I do not know how my score was so low to be honest.
What were you scoring on AAMC FLs?
doctor.dreams
Full Member
501/502/506What were you scoring on AAMC FLs?
501/502/506
How was CARS on those?
doctor.dreams
Full Member
124/124/125. My lowest scores were psych/socHow was CARS on those?
124/124/125. My lowest scores were psych/soc
Well, I can only speak to MD (I know virtually nothing about how the DO application process works), but even your best case 125 would have been awfully low for an MD program.
You grew up in a Spanish speaking household, so you are still fluent in Spanish, correct? If you are really interested in applying MD (though maybe not, given your username), would you consider the programs in Puerto Rico?
Yes, I am applying to Puerto Rico. I have two friends that are current students in San Juan Bautista.
122 CARS is 10th percentile for University of PR, so it's a little iffy there. BUT you have a tremendous GPA and great ECs so it might be worth an application, just to see. Other MD programs are probably out, unless you have a relatively uncompetitive state MD program - if this applies, throw some MD apps into your state school(s) too.
Good luck!
doctor.dreams
Full Member
Thank you, what do you think my chance are for Howard and Morehouse?122 CARS is 10th percentile for University of PR, so it's a little iffy there. BUT you have a tremendous GPA and great ECs so it might be worth an application, just to see. Other MD programs are probably out, unless you have a relatively uncompetitive state MD program - if this applies, throw some MD apps into your state school(s) too.
Good luck!
Thank you, what do you think my chance are for Howard and Morehouse?
HBCUs are heavily mission driven. Do you have a record of significant and specific service to Black/African-American communities? It's not so much about your stats there (though those are still important).
doctor.dreams
Full Member
No, not specifically Black/African-American communities. Did not know this was significant for them. Thank you for letting me know.HBCUs are heavily mission driven. Do you have a record of significant and specific service to Black/African-American communities? It's not so much about your stats there (though those are still important).
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Florida State
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
U Florida
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply to DO schools and I recommend these:
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
PCOM (all schools)
CCOM
MU-COM
NYIT (all schools)
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Florida State
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
U Florida
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply to DO schools and I recommend these:
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
PCOM (all schools)
CCOM
MU-COM
NYIT (all schools)
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 724