Please help. What are my chances of getting into MD/DO this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor.dreams

Reaction score
>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes I took the MCAT two weeks apart
Just why? Are you ESL, 121 is like 30% correct. Some schools have 125 cutoffs, the fact that your second score is worse than the first one could be a red flag. Ditto with your poor judgment to rush into the test in 2 weeks after your 1st try.

Just why? Are you ESL, 121 is like 30% correct. Some schools have 125 cutoffs, the fact that your second score is worse than the first one could be a red flag. Ditto with your poor judgment to rush into the test in 2 weeks after your 1st try.
Not ESL, English is not my first language. I learned English at 5, and come from a Spanish speaking household. But I do not know how my score was so low to be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty nonexistent for MD schools. Even as a URM that 121 CARS hurts. I think you should be able to get into some DO schools. Not sure about the top DO schools. The top schools have MCAT averages of 507+. But your 4.0 and ECs should help.

Not ESL, English is not my first language. I learned English at 5, and come from a Spanish speaking household. But I do not know how my score was so low to be honest.

What were you scoring on AAMC FLs?

124/124/125. My lowest scores were psych/soc

Well, I can only speak to MD (I know virtually nothing about how the DO application process works), but even your best case 125 would have been awfully low for an MD program.

You grew up in a Spanish speaking household, so you are still fluent in Spanish, correct? If you are really interested in applying MD (though maybe not, given your username), would you consider the programs in Puerto Rico?

Yes, I am applying to Puerto Rico. I have two friends that are current students in San Juan Bautista.

122 CARS is 10th percentile for University of PR, so it's a little iffy there. BUT you have a tremendous GPA and great ECs so it might be worth an application, just to see. Other MD programs are probably out, unless you have a relatively uncompetitive state MD program - if this applies, throw some MD apps into your state school(s) too.

Good luck!

122 CARS is 10th percentile for University of PR, so it's a little iffy there. BUT you have a tremendous GPA and great ECs so it might be worth an application, just to see. Other MD programs are probably out, unless you have a relatively uncompetitive state MD program - if this applies, throw some MD apps into your state school(s) too.

Good luck!
Thank you, what do you think my chance are for Howard and Morehouse?

Thank you, what do you think my chance are for Howard and Morehouse?

HBCUs are heavily mission driven. Do you have a record of significant and specific service to Black/African-American communities? It's not so much about your stats there (though those are still important).

HBCUs are heavily mission driven. Do you have a record of significant and specific service to Black/African-American communities? It's not so much about your stats there (though those are still important).
No, not specifically Black/African-American communities. Did not know this was significant for them. Thank you for letting me know.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Florida State
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
U Florida
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall