This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makemestarli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! This is my first post on this website, and I just wanted to get your opinions on my current situation. As of right now I am a senior Psychology student at UCI, and I currently have a 3.195 cGPA. I was a non-traditional pre med student in undergrad, meaning I took some of my pre req courses while pursuing a different major. I actually stopped taking those pre req courses after my sophomore year due to personal conflicts leading me to perform poorly in my classes. As a result of that, I solely took psychology courses for the rest of my undergrad in order to raise my GPA to what it is now. I was interested in pursuing a post bacc program in order to raise my science grades, since I did poorly in those classes. However, I have not taken physics quite yet, and I know a lot of academic record enhancing post baccs require that I take physics. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody! This is my first post on this website, and I just wanted to get your opinions on my current situation. As of right now I am a senior Psychology student at UCI, and I currently have a 3.195 cGPA. I was a non-traditional pre med student in undergrad, meaning I took some of my pre req courses while pursuing a different major. I actually stopped taking those pre req courses after my sophomore year due to personal conflicts leading me to perform poorly in my classes. As a result of that, I solely took psychology courses for the rest of my undergrad in order to raise my GPA to what it is now. I was interested in pursuing a post bacc program in order to raise my science grades, since I did poorly in those classes. However, I have not taken physics quite yet, and I know a lot of academic record enhancing post baccs require that I take physics. Any thoughts?

You can always do a DIY post-bacc. This would allow you to take the remaining prerequisite courses you have left and any upper division science courses that may be of interest.

With you not having a physics coarse I would suggest a career changers post bacc which are often at great intuitions and very helpful, VCU and UVA to name a couple. With your low gpa I would recommend an academic record enhancer because the gpa requirements for these are often lower, but like you said, many have pre req requirements. Simply taking a physics coarse at a college close to you would take care of your pre req and then you could go for the academic record enhancer. One with potential linkage is helpful, however, be careful as some institutions offer "linkage" but it is really more of a guaranteed interview and sometimes just a guaranteed review of your application. Also, some schools just want your money and have no true track record of good success with getting students into medical schools. The schools that boast great success of getting students into schools are usually students who went into the post bacc with already having a great gpa and MCAT. Some programs like Tufts really do have great success but only take competitive students. The biggest thing I can offer you is that if you wish to pursue medicine do not become discouraged and continue to push forward knowing one day you will get there. Whatever it takes.