My chances at PA and when to apply?

Started by hs2013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hs2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I wanted to go to PA school when is the application cycle?

I have a 3.85 GPA, 3.9 science and have taken all the pre-medd/dent requirements.

The issue is I don't have clinic experience. Let's say I get a job in the summer as a phlebotomist and get EMT training, and shadow/volunteer and rack up 500+ hours, could I still apply to start PA school in Fall of 2017???

What about entrance exams, is there one like the mcat/dat
 
I think your GPA is pretty good. You might want to work on your hours. Some schools will take 500, but there are programs that require a minimum of 1000 or 2000 hours. It depends on what your overall app has to offer.

You will have to take the GRE as well.
 
Let's say you get all your references together, take the GRE, and apply as is right now to schools that don't have really high (or any) HCE requirements (which is a fair share of them), and you get interview invites from the majority of those because your GPA is fantastic.

Or, get a quick certification like phleb or emt, and work through summer, apply at the middle or end of summer, and have a few more options for schools that require a bare minimum of health care experience. Schools that require none or the minimum HCE make up close to half of all schools or more.

Basically, you could do nothing except some humanitarian volunteer work that doesn't require a certification and get into quite a few schools. Do research and figure out what schools you'd qualify for.