My chances, but more what to do gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a senior at a top 25 univ.

I'm taking a gap year (applying in June).

I have a 3.55cGPA, 3.4x sGPA. But I'm gonna do my best to get my cGPA to at least 3.6 by graduation (its possible).

I got a 38Q on the MCAT first time.

So, given my stats (I realize my GPA is low), should I do a postbacc, special masters program, just continue to do research in my lab and hope to get some pubs, or something else?

I'm very appreciative of any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you can hit a 3.6, then you don't need a postbacc or smp. I think you should spend your gap year in research and if you could get a publication then that'll really make you stand out and would make you a very competitive applicant. But since it's pretty hard to get a pub, you might want to spend time doing some clinical volunteering or some type of leadership position (but that is all dependent on what your current EC's look like).

Pretty much what above said. You'll get love with a 3.6/38.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I'm a senior at a top 25 univ.

I'm taking a gap year (applying in June).

I have a 3.55cGPA, 3.4x sGPA. But I'm gonna do my best to get my cGPA to at least 3.6 by graduation (its possible).

I got a 38Q on the MCAT first time.

So, given my stats (I realize my GPA is low), should I do a postbacc, special masters program, just continue to do research in my lab and hope to get some pubs, or something else?

I'm very appreciative of any advice :)

What are you ECs? Congrats on your MCAT. personally, unless you need the courses I would not do postbac or get a masters - that would be really expensive. Over that I would continue work in a lab. But if you don't have a lot of other experiences outside of lab and clinical volunteering, I would do something else. I took two gap years after I graduated (mostly because I needed to retake my MCAT) and did AmeriCorps at an educational nonprofit. During interviews at some of my top schools, my interviewers specifically said they like seeing that I did AmeriCorps because it shows them "I'm a nice person". On another note, if your clinical experiences are slim, I would look into scribe programs. I was freaking out kinda in your shoes a few years ago and I feel like taking a gap year is more and more common and I have loved it. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice :)

Don't want to list out all my ECs atm but I have fairly good leadership experience, extensive research experience, some community service. My clinical experience is weak, but I'm working on that atm as well.

Assuming I get my GPA to 3.6, what caliber of schools should I be applying to? Low tiers, mid tiers, etc.

Thanks for the advice :)

Don't want to list out all my ECs atm but I have fairly good leadership experience, extensive research experience, some community service. My clinical experience is weak, but I'm working on that atm as well.

Assuming I get my GPA to 3.6, what caliber of schools should I be applying to? Low tiers, mid tiers, etc.

With a 38, it's possible to get into any tier school. It will just come down to a little bit of luck and how well you can express passion and interest in schools.