My Chances - Do I stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scruggs92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll get straight to the facts haha! If anyone has suggestions or comments on what I have done so far I would really appreciate it.

My current GPA is a 3.81 (Including non-science classes) Here are my science grades.

Bio 181 A
Bio 181 Lab A

Bio 182 A
Bio 182 Lab A

Medical Physiology B
Medical Physiology Lab A

Microbiology A-
Microbiology Lab A

Human Gross Anatomy and Dissection A-

Applied Nutrition A

Gen Chem 1 A
Gen Chem 1 Lab A

Gen Chem 2 A
Gen Chem 2 Lab A-

Genetics B

Biomedical Statistics A-

Ochem 1 B
Ochem 1 Lab A

Ochem 2 B
Ochem 2 Lab B+

Still need to take classes like physics and patho. All of my non-science grades like Sociology, Psychology and Healthcare classes are A's.

My first two years of college I played college tennis for a Division 2 team that was ranked top 10 in the nation. I decided not the play Junior year because the team was getting stronger and I want to focus on school. Hopefully being a college athlete will look good!

Currently I work in a cadaver lab at my school where I give presentations to 100s of people at a time. I did very well in the course and I know almost everything about anatomy. My other work experience involves giving tennis lessons and working for my dad's business. His business is hands on labor.

Over the summer after my Sophomore year I shadowed a PA for family practice, a PA or an orthopedic surgeon and a family nurse practitioner in pain management. I have the hours logged and it is about 80 total hours. I mostly observed, but I did help with the patients a little bit. I saw a lot of different things.

I do not have many volunteering hours. Probably about 10. This could be my weakness.

Something interesting about me is that I am a popular Youtuber with 55,000 subscribers and over 8,000,000 video views and I make some decent money. I do the channel with my brother and a friend. We are going to be doing a huge fundraiser for a hospital that we feel could go viral and we could raise close to $100,000! All of the money would be donated so we will be exempt from paying any taxes on it. Our University has already said they will donate $5,000 so this will be something that makes me stand out! I don't want to give too many details on this, but there is a chance you will see it within the next month or two.

I have another idea for a Youtube channel that will make me stand out that has to do with school and medicine, but I don't want to post it on a public forum haha.

I will take the MCAT in the summer and I feel that I will get between a 27-35. I plan on studying for a few months.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a problem with going to a DO school. After taking the MCAT, I plan on applying to schools in state and in my region and then schools that I am highly competitive for.

Also, what are your guys' thoughts on going to a top-mid tier school as opposed to a mid-lower tier school?

I can't tell you anything much without your final test score. I think your low volunteer hours could be offset by some of your other ECs, as vague as some of them are. You should still try to spend more time volunteering though. And shadow some docs directly.

Your grades are outstanding. 27-35 is a huge range though, and will be a major factor in what schools you apply to. As far as tiers go, I assume you're talking about MD so I'll let someone else handle that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll get straight to the facts haha! If anyone has suggestions or comments on what I have done so far I would really appreciate it.

My current GPA is a 3.81 (Including non-science classes) Here are my science grades.

Bio 181 A
Bio 181 Lab A

Bio 182 A
Bio 182 Lab A

Medical Physiology B
Medical Physiology Lab A

Microbiology A-
Microbiology Lab A

Human Gross Anatomy and Dissection A-

Applied Nutrition A

Gen Chem 1 A
Gen Chem 1 Lab A

Gen Chem 2 A
Gen Chem 2 Lab A-

Genetics B

Biomedical Statistics A-

Ochem 1 B
Ochem 1 Lab A

Ochem 2 B
Ochem 2 Lab B+

Still need to take classes like physics and patho. All of my non-science grades like Sociology, Psychology and Healthcare classes are A's.

My first two years of college I played college tennis for a Division 2 team that was ranked top 10 in the nation. I decided not the play Junior year because the team was getting stronger and I want to focus on school. Hopefully being a college athlete will look good!

Currently I work in a cadaver lab at my school where I give presentations to 100s of people at a time. I did very well in the course and I know almost everything about anatomy. My other work experience involves giving tennis lessons and working for my dad's business. His business is hands on labor.

Over the summer after my Sophomore year I shadowed a PA for family practice, a PA or an orthopedic surgeon and a family nurse practitioner in pain management. I have the hours logged and it is about 80 total hours. I mostly observed, but I did help with the patients a little bit. I saw a lot of different things.

I do not have many volunteering hours. Probably about 10. This could be my weakness.

Something interesting about me is that I am a popular Youtuber with 55,000 subscribers and over 8,000,000 video views and I make some decent money. I do the channel with my brother and a friend. We are going to be doing a huge fundraiser for a hospital that we feel could go viral and we could raise close to $100,000! All of the money would be donated so we will be exempt from paying any taxes on it. Our University has already said they will donate $5,000 so this will be something that makes me stand out! I don't want to give too many details on this, but there is a chance you will see it within the next month or two.

I have another idea for a Youtube channel that will make me stand out that has to do with school and medicine, but I don't want to post it on a public forum haha.

I will take the MCAT in the summer and I feel that I will get between a 27-35. I plan on studying for a few months.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be appreciated!
Shadowing NPs and PAs is great if you want to go to nursing school or PA school. Though it's fine to list those hours, I'd suggest that more physician shadowing should be done before you apply. This shadowing represents a passive activity. You also need some active clinical experience where you personally interact with sick people and do them a service in some way (you might consider splitting out the hours where you actually helped the person you shadowed, and list it on its own). You can volunteer in a medical environment, or get a job, or do clinical research to acquire this experience. If you volunteer, try for 3-4 hours per week. The average applicant lists 1.5 years of this activity.

Nonmedical community service also benefits your application. Strive for an average of an hour per week. Ten hours is not even worth listing. Philanthropic pursuits are all well and good, and so might be the artistic endeavor of creating your own clips, but some hands-on service to the poor should not be omitted.

The teaching is terrific.

As a newbie, I give you credit for not posting a link to your site, as advertising is not allowed on this forum. I'm glad that someone actually reads the Terms of Service. Good Luck with your upcoming fundraiser.

I can't tell you anything much without your final test score. I think your low volunteer hours could be offset by some of your other ECs, as vague as some of them are. You should still try to spend more time volunteering though. And shadow some docs directly.

Your grades are outstanding. 27-35 is a huge range though, and will be a major factor in what schools you apply to. As far as tiers go, I assume you're talking about MD so I'll let someone else handle that.

Thank you for the response!

Shadowing NPs and PAs is great if you want to go to nursing school or PA school. Though it's fine to list those hours, I'd suggest that more physician shadowing should be done before you apply. This shadowing represents a passive activity. You also need some active clinical experience where you personally interact with sick people and do them a service in some way (you might consider splitting out the hours where you actually helped the person you shadowed, and list it on its own). You can volunteer in a medical environment, or get a job, or do clinical research to acquire this experience. If you volunteer, try for 3-4 hours per week. The average applicant lists 1.5 years of this activity.

Nonmedical community service also benefits your application. Strive for an average of an hour per week. Ten hours is not even worth listing. Philanthropic pursuits are all well and good, and so might be the artistic endeavor of creating your own clips, but some hands-on service to the poor should not be omitted.

The teaching is terrific.

As a newbie, I give you credit for not posting a link to your site, as advertising is not allowed on this forum. I'm glad that someone actually reads the Terms of Service. Good Luck with your upcoming fundraiser.

Thanks for the response! I will start volunteering at a clinic next month for people who can not afford health insurance where I will be able to do stuff. I'm glad I didn't post my link because I don't want to get banned haha!

Lol I know... I don't even know why I wrote such a huge range. I'm aiming high and a 27 is basically the lowest I would be happy with.