My chances for MD or DO schools: 3.3 GPA, 490 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOorNOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.35
SGPA: 3.25
MACT: 490
Nationality: Asian
EC: No research sadly. But around 500 volunteer hours working in a free clinic and 1,000 hours working as an EMT.
Undergrad: SUNY school
State: New York

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Retake the MCAT.

What would you say is a good MCAT score to be competitive with my GPA for DO schools? How about MD schools, is that out of the picture for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you say is a good MCAT score to be competitive with my GPA for DO schools? How about MD schools, is that out of the picture for me?

Given that you're ORM and your GPAs are low, you're going to need an impressive MCAT score to achieve matriculation. My best estimate would be an MCAT of >509 for lower tier MD; >502 for almost any DO.

MD matriculated stats: MCAT - Mean 508.7 SD 6.9, GPA - Mean 3.70 SD 0.24
DO matriculated stats: MCAT - Mean 502.17 SD 5.56, Undergrad GPA - Mean 3.54 SD 0.27

Schools have different policies on how they view multiple MCAT takers, some average scores.

Reactions: 1 user
It would really be worth your time and effort to study hard (probably with tutoring help or a course) to retake the MCAT and apply next year (2018-2019). A 490 MCAT is at the 18th percentile so it will look like you either did not take time to study for it or that you have not mastered the material.
Could you do that this year as well as maybe take a couple more upper level science courses?

It would really be worth your time and effort to study hard (probably with tutoring help or a course) to retake the MCAT and apply next year (2018-2019). A 490 MCAT is at the 18th percentile so it will look like you either did not take time to study for it or that you have not mastered the material.
Could you do that this year as well as maybe take a couple more upper level science courses?

I can retake the MCAT, and my GPA does have a rising trend. I did the worst in my first two years in Calc, Orgo, and Physics 2. But in my second two years i've done really well in my upper level science courses like Immunology, Genetics of human diseases, Microbiology, evolution etc.

The only misstep in my second half was dropping Biochem for a W because I got a chance to take a EMT class for free at the same timeslot. I was doing fine in the class, and I retook it later for a B. At this point I was considering PA, so i thought the W wouldn't be that big of a deal and I would get to start my clinical hours as an EMT sooner.

A 490 is lethal for pretty much any medical school, a retake of >502 is absolutely necessary to have a shot for DO

Reactions: 1 user
I applied last year with the same cGPA and sGPA as you with a 510 MCAT. Out of the 12 schools I applied to, I got II at 2 and was waitlisted at both. Most people are saying >502 but I would say your goal >508.

*edit: I applied DO only

I think to have a very fair chance at DO you should retake the MCAT, looking for ~505, give or take a point or two. I also think you should at least dabble in some research. And I'm sorry but I think MD is out of the picture.

I applied last year with the same cGPA and sGPA as you with a 510 MCAT. Out of the 12 schools I applied to, I got II at 2 and was waitlisted at both. Most people are saying >502 but I would say your goal >508.

*edit: I applied DO only

Wow, even with a 510 you didn't get accepted? Did you only apply to the top schools? I think I can pull of above 500, but I didn't get to 510 in any of my practice tests.