MD & DO WAMC: 3.55 GPA 3.3 sGPA, 499 MCAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalaglow

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.55 and 3.3 respectively
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 498 (125,124,124,125)->499 (123,125,125,126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MI
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White +Latina (my dad is from Venezuela, I speak Spanish)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: University of Michigan
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 600+ hours as a CNA
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1000+ hours research in a psychology lab and a surgery working on heart transplants. One poster presentation and REU recipient
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 150 hours IM, emergency, general surgery, cardiology, orthopedic
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours as a crisis text line volunteer (english and spanish), 150 hours working in the food kitchen
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): synchronized skating team, premed fraternity, waterski team (president), special needs program for connecting community, Masters for my upcoming gap year in management (one year)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Have been on honor roll 2/4 years of college career for GPA
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I battle pretty bad test anxiety and depression which makes testing pretty hard for me. My practice average this time around with changed study habits was a 510 so I am very heartbroken and devastated while writing this. My school list has completely changed but I have strong letters of rec and my application done. Can I apply with a 499 anywhere/Michigan schools (DO or MD) or do I have to take an additional gap year? Sorry, I know I probably look silly.

Members don't see this ad.

Your only possible MD schools are some of your Michigan schools- Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State and Oakland Beaumont
You should apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest all these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user