My chances for urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithfullyYours

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year from one of the Ivy leagues. (stanford undergrad if that even matters)
First two years was pass/fail. Third year I have a mix of honors, high pass and pass(obgyn). Surgery grade is pending and i still have to do medicine rotation.

Step1 Score: 241
Research: a good amount from college but no authorship, one summer project during med school with poster presentation at school event.

I want to do urology and have a strong regional preference to stay in northern california if at all possible. Southern california would be awesome as well.

What are my chances? Is it too late for me to do this successfully given it's an early match? How about in terms of setting up away electives via VSAS?

Members don't see this ad.

You are reasonably competitive given your stats. You lack research. Research without publications or at least presentations isn't really research as far as your application goes. I would go talk to your urology PD now and ask him what you need to do to be competitive and try to get set up for some clinical research. It's not too late to get something submitted to meetings/journals. As far as away rotations go, you are not too late, but you will be soon. Now is the time to get aways set up at programs you are interested in.

You are reasonably competitive given your stats. You lack research. Research without publications or at least presentations isn't really research as far as your application goes. I would go talk to your urology PD now and ask him what you need to do to be competitive and try to get set up for some clinical research. It's not too late to get something submitted to meetings/journals. As far as away rotations go, you are not too late, but you will be soon. Now is the time to get aways set up at programs you are interested in.

I'll echo this. Pursue research opportunities now. I did about this time last year in time for the 2013 match. While a pub will definitely separate you from the pack, I think it is more important to display meaningful contribution and thought process within the project. I was surprised as to how interested interviewers were in my process and ideas rather than whether or not I published. Also, make sure you know the general subject matter you worked on... ie if you were looking at histological outcomes for repeat RPLNDs, you better know your basics on testicular cancer. I don't go to Campbell's often as a student, but I would read the chapters on your topic. I was pimped at some interviews, always fair and within reason, and I know this little extra reading paid off. Additionally, LORs from research mentors can have a tremendous impact- especially if you are Ivy and the mentor is well-known.

In a perfect world, I would try to write up an interesting Uro case youve seen on surgery and present it regionally/university level. At the same time, try to latch on to a long term project you can continue through the summer and application process. Again, in a perfect world, but it is totally possible between now and the match. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to post in this thread as well since I have the same question. I just recently did a rotation in urology and found that I enjoyed it a lot, and was just curious as to what chance I would have at matching? My step score was 220, I have high passed most of my third year rotations with 1 honor.

As far as research is concerned, I have done some research in interventional radiology, with a published abstract and a poster presentation.

I know I am not a competitive applicant, but if I didn't match and I applied again during my surgical internship would I have a decent chance of matching?

Any help provided would be appreciated.

I decided to post in this thread as well since I have the same question. I just recently did a rotation in urology and found that I enjoyed it a lot, and was just curious as to what chance I would have at matching? My step score was 220, I have high passed most of my third year rotations with 1 honor.

As far as research is concerned, I have done some research in interventional radiology, with a published abstract and a poster presentation.

I know I am not a competitive applicant, but if I didn't match and I applied again during my surgical internship would I have a decent chance of matching?

Any help provided would be appreciated.

Your best chance at matching is the first cycle. Reapplying from a surgical internship is an uphill battle. You should try to get some urologic research in and you need to organize away rotations now if you are going to go for uro. Also would take step 2 early and do well on it.

220 is definitely on the low side, and your grades aren't stellar. If you are serious about it, I would sit down with the program director at your school ASAP to talk about your competitiveness and what to do to improve. Only 2/3 of people matched this year, an you definitely don't want to be in that 1/3 that doesn't....especially if there is something else you could be happy doing.

Hi everyone,
I am a first year med student and based on my previous experiences, I have found myself getting increasingly interested in Urology. Any advice at this point?

Hi everyone,
I am a first year med student and based on my previous experiences, I have found myself getting increasingly interested in Urology. Any advice at this point?

Two words: Step 1

Thanks Daodejing.

How important are the first two years grades?

Depending on who you ask, you'll get slightly varying opinions. However, the general consensus is that it matters far less than other parts of your application (ie. step 1, LOR, clerkship grades, research, etc.). Obviously, they matter insofar as your overall class ranking/quartile and AOA, if your school has those.

Urology participates in their own AUA early match, so they're not included in the published NRMP PD survey. Nevertheless, you can glean some bits of information from browsing through data on similar surgical subspecialties, which I encourage you to do http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Good luck

Depending on who you ask, you'll get slightly varying opinions. However, the general consensus is that it matters far less than other parts of your application (ie. step 1, LOR, clerkship grades, research, etc.). Obviously, they matter insofar as your overall class ranking/quartile and AOA, if your school has those.

Urology participates in their own AUA early match, so they're not included in the published NRMP PD survey. Nevertheless, you can glean some bits of information from browsing through data on similar surgical subspecialties, which I encourage you to do http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Good luck

I pretty much straight-passed my pre-clinical years (H/P/F school) but honored most clinical rotations, did well on Step 1, and had good research, aways, and letters. Matched to my #1, got interviews at almost every program I applied to. I specifically asked a few PDs in early interviews (before I learned better) about my preclinical grades and they unanimously said it didn't matter. Step 1 is the equalizer that tells every PD whether you learned the preclinical coursework.