My chances? GPA 3.5 and 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm actually annoyed reading this topic. I am in a similar position with similar stats as a reapplicant and by not considering DO and instead badmouthing people who are only trying to help you, you're alienating the same people that want you to succeed. There is literally no ****ing difference between MD and DO. I've seen academic DOs at a MAJOR New York CITY hospital do MAJOR life saving surgeries. Orthopods and Surgical Oncology physicians!!! If you want to do medical missions, nobody is going to care if you're an MD or a DO. Do you really think some poor little girl or boy will ask if you're qualified to save their freaking life? No!!!

Grow up.

Members don't see this ad.

I say depending on what else you have special in your application, you might be able to get into a state MDs school. However, I will Echo what everybody else is sad, apply to some osteopathic programs if you really want to be a physician. My cousin was in the same spot as you two years ago, and he has yet to get into a medical school anywhere, because he Refuse to apply to any osteopathic programs. Now, if you get your MCAT up to a 35, then I believe that you could get into a MD school.

Don't listen to these people, you have a dream do everything it takes to make it become a reality. If you want to be an M.D., then don't go to an osteopathic school, period

Members don't see this ad :)
I say depending on what else you have special in your application, you might be able to get into a state MDs school. However, I will Echo what everybody else is sad, apply to some osteopathic programs if you really want to be a physician. My cousin was in the same spot as you two years ago, and he has yet to get into a medical school anywhere, because he Refuse to apply to any osteopathic programs. Now, if you get your MCAT up to a 35, then I believe that you could get into a MD school.

Don't listen to these people, you have a dream do everything it takes to make it become a reality. If you want to be an M.D., then don't go to an osteopathic school, period

:)

Did your cousin get any intereviews?

OP won't get into a state MD school because he/she is an Asian from California.

edit* very low chance I mean.

Did your cousin get any intereviews?

He got one this year. The first year he applied he had a 3.6 GPA, and 27 on the MCAT. He got no interviews that year. This year, he have the same GPA, but raised his MCAT score to a 32. He got one interview at a new school, but ultimately got rejected.

I think that it will be the way you present yourself as well. If you sound humble In your personal statement, but passionate at the same time, you might be able to sneak into an MD school. Also, some MDs schools average MCATs together, I would be hesitant on applying to those schools.

If push comes to shove, I would go ahead and move to a different state in the clear residency there. Somewhere where the average MCATs, and GPA, are smaller. Look into moving to Florida or Georgia or Ohio.

Like I said, if you really want that M.D. degree, you can get it, But it's going to take a lot of effort. If you believe that settling for an osteopathic school is not in your best interest, then just don't apply to an osteopathic school.

There are also special masters programs that you can apply to as well. These are auditions to medical school, and if you get a good GPA, 3.7 or higher, then that gives you a huge leg up on the competition. However, this route is very higher risk high reward, as if you do not do well in the special masters program, you shut yourself off from all medical schools osteopathic or MD.

Lots to think about. I am in your same position, but with no MCAT score. My state school is not Lenient, so I'm looking into Special masters programs as well. I would advise you to weigh all your options and leave nothing off of the table. Look at osteopathic programs, look at special masters programs, and look at even doing a couple extra classes to see if you can raise your GPA.

If you want this, then just do it

He got one this year. The first year he applied he had a 3.6 GPA, and 27 on the MCAT. He got no interviews that year. This year, he have the same GPA, but raised his MCAT score to a 32. He got one interview at a new school, but ultimately got rejected.

I think that it will be the way you present yourself as well. If you sound humble In your personal statement, but passionate at the same time, you might be able to sneak into an MD school. Also, some MDs schools average MCATs together, I would be hesitant on applying to those schools.

If push comes to shove, I would go ahead and move to a different state in the clear residency there. Somewhere where the average MCATs, and GPA, are smaller. Look into moving to Florida or Georgia or Ohio.

Like I said, if you really want that M.D. degree, you can get it, But it's going to take a lot of effort. If you believe that settling for an osteopathic school is not in your best interest, then just don't apply to an osteopathic school.

There are also special masters programs that you can apply to as well. These are auditions to medical school, and if you get a good GPA, 3.7 or higher, then that gives you a huge leg up on the competition. However, this route is very higher risk high reward, as if you do not do well in the special masters program, you shut yourself off from all medical schools osteopathic or MD.

Lots to think about. I am in your same position, but with no MCAT score. My state school is not Lenient, so I'm looking into Special masters programs as well. I would advise you to weigh all your options and leave nothing off of the table. Look at osteopathic programs, look at special masters programs, and look at even doing a couple extra classes to see if you can raise your GPA.

If you want this, then just do it

thanks for this advice really:)Ive thought about SMPs as well. Moving is another option. How long does it take to establish residence in like ohio or florida?

Ive also thought about taking extra classes at a community college. Im really interested in learning how to speak better spanish. I always thought schools will look negatively at you if you take extra classes though. (for the sole purpose of raising a GPA)

thanks for this advice really:)Ive thought about SMPs as well. Moving is another option. How long does it take to establish residence in like ohio or florida?

Ive also thought about taking extra classes at a community college. Im really interested in learning how to speak better spanish. I always thought schools will look negatively at you if you take extra classes though. (for the sole purpose of raising a GPA)

I would call each school and ask. Like I said before, SMP is do or die. You either do well and prove your ability to handle course material or you dont do well and forever close yourself off from getting into medical school. If I was in your shoes, I would look at moving to anouther state to try and establish residency.

Also, takeing extra classes in the upper levels sciences would look great, barring you get As in them.

I would do some soul searching. I am going to put myself in your situation. I took the Mcat 3 times and finally managed to show I can make a 30. I have a 3.5 GPA. I have all my other ducks in a row. Problem is, I'm competing with thousands of applicants. My best chance is to move to a state where they interview lots of in state students. There are 3 that come to mind: Texas, Florida, Ohio.

To give you some hope: My friend has a 3.4s GPA and a 3.6c GPA. He scored a 28 the first time he took the Mcat, and then a 30. He was accepted to our state school this year. There is always a way. How bad do you want that MD?

I would call each school and ask. Like I said before, SMP is do or die. You either do well and prove your ability to handle course material or you dont do well and forever close yourself off from getting into medical school. If I was in your shoes, I would look at moving to anouther state to try and establish residency.

Also, takeing extra classes in the upper levels sciences would look great, barring you get As in them.

I would do some soul searching. I am going to put myself in your situation. I took the Mcat 3 times and finally managed to show I can make a 30. I have a 3.5 GPA. I have all my other ducks in a row. Problem is, I'm competing with thousands of applicants. My best chance is to move to a state where they interview lots of in state students. There are 3 that come to mind: Texas, Florida, Ohio.

To give you some hope: My friend has a 3.4s GPA and a 3.6c GPA. He scored a 28 the first time he took the Mcat, and then a 30. He was accepted to our state school this year. There is always a way. How bad do you want that MD?

haha your friend's story does give me a lot of hope. As long its not impossible with my stats, Im going to try and see what happens.

I wish you the best of luck! :):):)

UHH excuse me????? you dont know me. I m asking about my schools okay? seriously if you want to go to medical school or osteopathic school or nursing school, fantastic go for it but dont be forcing people to do **** they dont want. And dont tell me that i have no idea on **** either.

you have no idea what youre talking about.

I dont want to get involved in the argument, but remember that Osteopathy is a philosophy, not a discipline. You are still separating DO schools from MD schools by implying Osteopathic schools arn't medical schools. Osteopathic schools=medical schools.

haha your friend's story does give me a lot of hope. As long its not impossible with my stats, Im going to try and see what happens.

I wish you the best of luck! :):):)

Can I ask, what did you do diffrently on the 3rd Mcat try? You keep raising it steadily and that is very impressive :)