My chances? (post-bacc. and non-traditional)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So, I have about a 2.7 undergrad GPA. I am taking my pre-reqs in a post-bacc. program. I have only taken Bio (A, B), Physics and Chem (A, A-) and Bio of Organisms( A-). My current gpa for these pre-reqs is 2.9. This is all because of Physics. I got a C in the first semester of Physics and then an F in the second semester of Physics. I plan to retake the second semester of Physics and do really well in it. Also, I still have to take Orgo and I also want to take Genetics. Then, I plan to take my MCATs.

Note: I know I should've done better in Physics. I've been working full time as a teacher. That second semester, one teacher was dismissed from my department. The other teachers and I had to pick up the slack. This meant more time spent at work (and for work) and less time to study.

So, what do you all think? I probably don't have a prayer for allopathic med. schools. What about osteopathic med. schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's your first run in with physics and you score well on your PS section, I can see Osteopathic schools being forgiving of it. Keep up the good work (like in the other classes).

Thanks for the input. Well, I retook Physics. I had already taken it during my undergrad years. I got C- grades for both semesters of Physics back then. When I retake the second semester of Physics, it'll be my third time. :( Chem was also a retake (b- grades in undergrad). The first semester of Bio was a retake (D in undergrad). However, I've never taken Orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. Well, I retook Physics. I had already taken it during my undergrad years. I got C- grades for both semesters of Physics back then. When I retake the second semester of Physics, it'll be my third time. :( Chem was also a retake (b- grades in undergrad). The first semester of Bio was a retake (D in undergrad). However, I've never taken Orgo.

well, that will make the case harder for DO schools seeing that it is your 3rd try at the subject. It doesn't necessarily make you be out of the race, but I suggest you are ready to address this problem better than having overbooked yourself. As a teacher, they might expect higher from you in terms of class commitment.

You could have a shot at osteopathic med schools, but considering the multiple tries to get a decent grade in Physics, it would be a good idea to plan on more than just OChem and Genetics to prove your capability (on the first try). Take more upper-level Bio and biochem as well.

Hi guys,
I am really worried. I am not working and studying my butt off because I am taking Physics II and Orgo. I. So, far I have gotten one C level grade on a test that will be counted towards my overall grade in Orgo. I don't know what's going on. All my studying isn't being reflected into my grades. I am worried that I will get a C- in Orgo. I and a B- (or even a C+) in Physics II. This is the third retake for Physics II. I withdrew from Physics II the first time around. The second time around I got an F because I was working full time and did not devote time to the class. Are my DO chances gone? I still have to take Orgo II and I plan on taking biochem. and genetics.

Hi guys,
I am really worried. I am not working and studying my butt off because I am taking Physics II and Orgo. I. So, far I have gotten one C level grade on a test that will be counted towards my overall grade in Orgo. I don't know what's going on. All my studying isn't being reflected into my grades. I am worried that I will get a C- in Orgo. I and a B- (or even a C+) in Physics II. This is the third retake for Physics II. I withdrew from Physics II the first time around. The second time around I got an F because I was working full time and did not devote time to the class. Are my DO chances gone? I still have to take Orgo II and I plan on taking biochem. and genetics.

Okay realistically Biochemistry is way harder than Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 based on my own experience. So, if you're struggling with Organic then you're going to have a very very rough time with Biochemistry. Your pre-req grades and multiple attempts are really killing your chances. You desperately need As, no one can tell you what your "shot" is at DO schools because in the end of the day we are not ADCOM and there are multiple reasons behind an acceptance not just stats. All I can say is fulfill all your pre-reqs, Biochemistry and Genetics. Do not give up just work harder. Organic Chemistry is one of those classes where you need to work more efficiently by practicing. Best of luck to you :xf:

Hi guys,

hmm..how are you studying for these classes. Physics and Orgo are generally pretty easy if you do ALL of the assigned practiced problems and a ton of problems outside of the assigned work.

I hate to say this, but if these two classes by themselves (6-8 semster hrs, tops) are causing you trouble, HOW are you going to make it in medical school, which is going to be about 10x as hard???

Hi guys,

yeah im with the above post, i dont want to sound bad here but osteopathic medicine isnt the C students way of getting into a medical school. If you are not getting the material in the classes, i cant imagine you will get the material on the mcat. The multiple repeats really show that you are missing some vital aspect to understanding how to approach these classes. Now i will never say it is impossible for you to get into a medical school because i cant judge what you can and can not do, but you definitely need to approach your education differently otherwise your chances will be incredibly low.

Last edited:
So, thank God, I changed my study habits and I made a comeback in OChem part 1 and I got an A in the course. I also ended up with a B in Physics. I'm going to keep studying hard this upcoming semester as I take OChem part II and Genetics. I'll have to take OChem lab in the summer.