MD My Chances?? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRICOCHAPIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. I am looking for some guidance on whether I should apply this upcoming cycle or wait one more year to increase my GPA.

Background:
Male, Latino immigrant (came to the US at 16). Paid for my college education with scholarships and working full time. First generation college graduate.
Major: Biochemistry. B.S.
School: UCLA

AAMCAS GPAcGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.27

My freshman year GPA:
Sophomore year GPA: 2.79 ( I messed up my GPA that year).
Junior year GPA: 3.57
Senior year GPA: 3.66
Post-graduation: 4.00 (I have taken about 6 non-science courses at community college - all A's).

MCAT
P10/V8/B10= 28

Volunteering :

Over 280 hours of Clinical Care Experience at a local hospital. Also, over 200 hours in a Leadership position in the program (500 hours total)

Research

1 1/2 years of Clinical Research experience focusing in preventive medicine among underserved communities. Currently work full time as a Clinical Research Coordinator for a Diabetes prevention study. I have had multiple poster presentations and written three research abstracts. I really enjoy community based-research and plan to continue doing this type of work as a physician.

Other activities

Community organizer (500hrs+)
Work toward improving the right of immigrants and students..

Community health worker (200hrs+)
Provide health education to the community.

DO schools are not on the table this cycle because I have not shadowed a DO physician and have no DO letter of rec. :(

Any thoughts? Advice on school list?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. I am looking for some guidance on whether I should apply this upcoming cycle or wait one more year to increase my GPA.

Background:
Male, Latino immigrant (came to the US at 16). Paid for my college education with scholarships and working full time. First generation college graduate.
Major: Biochemistry. B.S.
School: UCLA

AAMCAS GPAcGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.27

My freshman year GPA:
Sophomore year GPA: 2.79 ( I messed up my GPA that year).
Junior year GPA: 3.57
Senior year GPA: 3.66
Post-graduation: 4.00 (I have taken about 6 non-science courses at community college - all A's).

MCAT
P10/V8/B10= 28

Volunteering :

Over 280 hours of Clinical Care Experience at a local hospital. Also, over 200 hours in a Leadership position in the program (500 hours total)
Research

1 1/2 years of Clinical Research experience focusing in preventive medicine among underserved communities. Currently work full time as a Clinical Research Coordinator for a Diabetes prevention study. I have had multiple poster presentations and written three research abstracts. I really enjoy community based-research and plan to continue doing this type of work as a physician.
Other activities

Community organizer (500hrs+)
Work toward improving the right of immigrants and students..

Community health worker (200hrs+)
Provide health education to the community.

DO schools are not on the table this cycle because I have not shadowed a DO physician and have no DO letter of rec. :(

Any thoughts? Advice on school list?

Thank you in advance.
All DO schools don't require a DO LOR. Here are the specific expectations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkQjgkrQwlmCdDdPRG15djh5NGJfRFhoVWdLdVJIaFE&hl=en#gid=0

I'd suggest that you'll get more mileage out of taking upper-level Bio, to get your sGPA higher.

Do you have any prerequisite grades below a C+? If you have any upper-level Bio already, what grades did you earn?

If you're in a hurry, you might take a middle course and consider applying to MD schools while continuing to improve your GPA, sending in an unofficial copy of your transcript after each completed term to show continued momentum.