my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irrandom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am at my end of third year and have recently realized how awesome ENT is. I was originally going to apply to medicine. I would appreciate if anyone can let me know what my chances are.

Step 1 - 257
3rd year - have completed 6 rotations, honored 2 (surgery, family medicine), high passed the rest. There is a slim chance my medicine might get bumped to an honor at the end of the year.
Publication - 4 since undergrad (two basic science and two clinical), 1 clinical in med school, 1 more clinical currently in review.

What are my chances?
How much does my non-ENT research help?
What do people think about double applying ENT with medicine as a backup?
I haven't scheduled any aways yet, is it too late? How many do I need?

Appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You still have time to do an ENT research project. It is nice to have something to talk about with the research - oriented faculty during interviews. If you get good LORs you would likely get a fair number of Interviews. I would go "all in" or not at all, personally. If the ENT programs are aware you are interviewing for medicine as a backup, that would be seen negatively. I would recommend meeting with the ENT program director and/or chairman at your school soon to discuss your interest and get suggestions.

If the ENT programs are aware you are interviewing for medicine as a backup, that would be seen negatively.

And vice versa. A few of my friends who matched to surgical specialties (plastics/uro/ENT/integrated CT/vasc)while applying to a "backup specialty" observed that they usually got fewer back-up interviews than primary interviews despite being "more competitive" for the backup. These programs aren't *****s, and if they sniff "backup" on your app or on you at interview day, you probably wont be ranked to match as compared to someone who is really interested in that program.

If you want to double-apply, really put together a solid app for the second specialty (good letters, an early SubI, etc). Don't cobble something together and expect PDs to throw interviews at you because of your board scores.