My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am finishing up my re-reqs and will be applying this summer. Any suggestions or opinions on my chances?
Undergrad GPA-3.2 ( it is 3.19, would that be rounded up at all? -(
Pre-reqs should be all As, except stat was B- and chem 2 was a B
GRE so far Verbal 150 and Math 153, with essay 4
100 inpatient observation hours, and outpatient it process
I will be retaking gre in 2 weeks to see if I can bump up my verbal a bit..

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rounding in PTCAS, it is what it is. As far as your chances, probably slim to none in public schools to be honest, private schools sure. My advice to you is to retake some of those classes like stat and chem 2, also study really hard for those GRE's try to get above a 160+ on math and verbal. Also try to get hours in all available settings, 25-50 hours in 4 settings looks alot better in my opinion than 1000+ hours in one setting, especially if its a paid job. Start writting the PTCAS essay early and revise it alot, honestly the essay this year took me about 4-6 weeks to write since I went back and re-read it then put it away then went back and edited it again.

If you want PT school bad enough, you'll find a way to get in.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't be too down on your chances. Besides GRE scores our stats are fairly similar and I've gotten interviews and been accepted already. Best advice is to apply to as many schools as possible, it gets expensive, but if PT school is something you really want it's worth it. However I would advise to check if the school has interviews or not. Public schools with no interviews typically just take the top students in the cycle. Definitely shadow at a few different places, but I wouldn't stress a bunch of hours at each location. email programs and double check what it is, but for me at least most schools I've talked to had a cut off on the hours where they don't even bother checking hours over a certain amount(obviously if you have a paid position with a lot of hours still put it). also I would at least have two good PT recommendations and a professor one as well. PTCAS allows 4 references so I'd suggest getting that filled as well with an advisor or something.
And then obviously the essay is important. no matter what the topic is find a way to twist it and use it to explain your low cumulative GPA. Also have people read it over. I've had a few of my english major friends give me opinions before submitting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no rounding in PTCAS, it is what it is. As far as your chances, probably slim to none in public schools to be honest, private schools sure. My advice to you is to retake some of those classes like stat and chem 2, also study really hard for those GRE's try to get above a 160+ on math and verbal. Also try to get hours in all available settings, 25-50 hours in 4 settings looks alot better in my opinion than 1000+ hours in one setting, especially if its a paid job. Start writting the PTCAS essay early and revise it alot, honestly the essay this year took me about 4-6 weeks to write since I went back and re-read it then put it away then went back and edited it again.

If you want PT school bad enough, you'll find a way to get in.

Uhhh. 160+? when i look at average GRE scores of accepted students, it is never above 155, so I feel like its not a complete disaster to be above 150, maybe the schools you applied to were a bit stricter? I am just a horrible test taker, gove me enough time and i can solve anything, but GRE is just a different beast..

I wouldn't be too down on your chances. Besides GRE scores our stats are fairly similar and I've gotten interviews and been accepted already. Best advice is to apply to as many schools as possible, it gets expensive, but if PT school is something you really want it's worth it. However I would advise to check if the school has interviews or not. Public schools with no interviews typically just take the top students in the cycle. Definitely shadow at a few different places, but I wouldn't stress a bunch of hours at each location. email programs and double check what it is, but for me at least most schools I've talked to had a cut off on the hours where they don't even bother checking hours over a certain amount(obviously if you have a paid position with a lot of hours still put it). also I would at least have two good PT recommendations and a professor one as well. PTCAS allows 4 references so I'd suggest getting that filled as well with an advisor or something.
And then obviously the essay is important. no matter what the topic is find a way to twist it and use it to explain your low cumulative GPA. Also have people read it over. I've had a few of my english major friends give me opinions before submitting.
Yeah, my recommendations will be good! I got on good graces with PTs and PTAs at the hospital I was volunteering at =)
Amm-stupid question- If I am applying this coming cycle starting July 1st, when will I know essay topic? After applications open?

Yeah, my recommendations will be good! I got on good graces with PTs and PTAs at the hospital I was volunteering at =)
Amm-stupid question- If I am applying this coming cycle starting July 1st, when will I know essay topic? After applications open?

That is good to get to know people but make sure they have extra info from you before they write your letters. A "this applicant would make a great PT because they showed interest when observing" are not enough I believe so make sure they know extras about you provided by a resume or a personal statement that you can give to them on why you want PT. Also PTCAS usually sends out the prompt via facebook or twitter much earlier than the application cycle begins. The last two years it was put out in the middle to end of March. Usually just have to google "ptcas essay prompt twitter"

That is good to get to know people but make sure they have extra info from you before they write your letters. A "this applicant would make a great PT because they showed interest when observing" are not enough I believe so make sure they know extras about you provided by a resume or a personal statement that you can give to them on why you want PT. Also PTCAS usually sends out the prompt via facebook or twitter much earlier than the application cycle begins. The last two years it was put out in the middle to end of March. Usually just have to google "ptcas essay prompt twitter"
Oh, wow, thank you! I just googled it! And good point! I will definitely make sure they have my info!
for the essay- should it be formal, intro, 3 paragraph and conclusion essay? how many words max? Is there a max?
Thaaaaank you for the info, appreciated! This is sooo stressful, esp when you are 28 like I am!

Oh, wow, thank you! I just googled it! And good point! I will definitely make sure they have my info!
for the essay- should it be formal, intro, 3 paragraph and conclusion essay? how many words max? Is there a max?
Thaaaaank you for the info, appreciated! This is sooo stressful, esp when you are 28 like I am!
it should be formal, but not incredibly long. there is actually a character limit(4500) instead of a minimum on PTCAS. from what I have gather being concise is the best way to go about it. make all of your points, and answer the prompt efficiently. the people reviewing the applications literally have to read hundreds of essays answering the same prompt so there is no reason to give them a novel.

On this site people tell someone with a 2.8 that they can be fine if they get to a 3.0 but tell a 3.19 they have no shot so I'd take everything with a grain of salt

You have time before July, improve everything you can and hope for the best

On this site people tell someone with a 2.8 that they can be fine if they get to a 3.0 but tell a 3.19 they have no shot so I'd take everything with a grain of salt

You have time before July, improve everything you can and hope for the best
That is so true! I mean it is really a lot of moving parts to get accepted, and just a bit of luck i suppose! Can't change my undergrad GPA...will see what happens. And GRE just sucks really bad..