My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradOregon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here.

I'm writing because I wanted your advice-- applying to an MD program has been my dream for a long time now, but when I started undergrad school (state school...) back in 2002 I had no direction, ambition.. etc etc. It seemed impossible so I didn't even try. Accordingly, I got between about a 3.0-3.9 most terms until failing two terms in a row during some life-upheaving stuff-- so at this point, I have about a 2.55 gpa with 96 credits.

I anticipate that with my *renewed interest* (and desire to attend graduate school) to achieve a high gpa in this next 90 or so credits. Last term was my first term back and I did well.

Science so far is 3.5, but I have many pre-reqs to take still, so that could go up (I have only 8 quarter credits in science but took enough in HS to feel pretty confident in my abilities)

I do well on standardized tests, so if I achieve good science grades, I expect decent scores on the MCAT. Verbal should be fairly high, maybe a 12 or 13 or so based on practice exams.

I have not done any volunteering, shadowing, etc as of yet, but then again, am still technically beginning my junior year this coming fall.

I'm 24, married, and have a son, which I'm assuming makes me non-traditional. :)

As for extracurriculars, I haven't had any lately as I've recently been a stay at home mom and before that was misguided and working a ton to get through school. The only thing I have going for me is that I finished HS early at 16 from the best ranked public school in the state and continued on for a Spanish Immersion program at University of Guanajuato in Mexico. So while that's a bonus I definitely need to work on current ECs!

Also, I'm applying to OHSU only-- my family cannot accomodate a move out of state. OHSU seems to appreciate strong interviews and personal anectdotes (and I have decent ones to back up my flounderings.) Yet when I looked at their mdapplicants.com stats, it was less than encouraging since I'm looking at a potential 3.4 or so gpa, assuming everything goes well from here on out!

Anyways, I wanted to know if I even had a chance. Given my age, I'd love to avoid extra post-bacc programs if possible-- but I am not opposed. I realize I've got a long uphill battle here, and I guess I wanted to find out (before I kill myself in ochem!) if my previous blunders will be a deal-breaker for admissions committees.

thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that with a 3.4 (I reallllllllly hope you get to 3.5 - makes a huge difference believe it or not), you will be in the running for Oregon. Your clinical experience will need to encompass clinical shadowing and clinical volunteering. And the MCAT goes without saying - you really will need something like 34 at least.

yup I'm prepared to study like heck for the mcat-- i know i can't afford any weak areas!

so really and truly-- a 3.4 (hopefully higher) isn't a deal-breaker! :love: that's encouraging. so alongside shadowing and clinical volunteering (150 hs right?) is there anything i can do to make myself more desireable-- for example, would it be worth the effort to take on many more extracurriculars, or is it more like a checklist; "yes, she did shadowing; yes, she did volunteering.. etc."

this is something i really want and i'm prepared to work for it-- IF and only if there's a real chance i can reasonably make it happen. ....so this is very good news! :xf:

yup I'm prepared to study like heck for the mcat-- i know i can't afford any weak areas!

so really and truly-- a 3.4 (hopefully higher) isn't a deal-breaker! :love: that's encouraging. so alongside shadowing and clinical volunteering (150 hs right?) is there anything i can do to make myself more desireable-- for example, would it be worth the effort to take on many more extracurriculars, or is it more like a checklist; "yes, she did shadowing; yes, she did volunteering.. etc."

this is something i really want and i'm prepared to work for it-- IF and only if there's a real chance i can reasonably make it happen. ....so this is very good news! :xf:

Clinical volunteering and shadowing is where it all starts (of course, the 4.0s come even earlier). Then, if you have time, you can get involved in other stuff, club activities, try to find a leadership role somewhere (Captain/Director/E-Board). But this is by no means a necessity. I think you have enough on your plate between shadowing, volunteering, the MCAT, and your pending 4.0s.

Good luck!