My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippocrates23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.27 total gpa, 3.2 science gpa, 34s MCAT
Double major in Molecular Biology and Classical History from a California school
I have 8 publications in biology research after 6 years of experience
I have played 2 Division I NCAA sports as well throughout college, winning a national title
I was also a vice president in student government for 2 years and representative in the NCAA legislative council.
I have 200+ hours of clinical experience, and experience from foreign medical missions
I have also coached high school sports for 2 years as well as tutored in biology and other subjects
I'm also fluent in Spanish, French, and Arabic

I realize my GPA is low but after leaving athletics my 3rd year, my GPA skyrocketed incredibly. I'm planning for the 2012 cycle, how do my chances look? I'm a CA resident, but I need to get into an MD program somewhere in the US so I'll apply anywhere and everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AAMC stats tables suggest that those applying with 3.27/34 have a 40-45% chance of an acceptance. Your steep upward grade trend, multiple pubs, and solid ECs will help. If you are of nontraditional age, that would help even more. Note that the numbers cited include those with significant modifying factors, such as completion of an SMP or adding diversity to a class. To boost your chances of success in one cycle, you might consider adding some of the ~local DO med schools to your application list.

Last edited:
AAMC stats tables suggest that those applying with 3.27/34 have a 40-45% chance of an acceptance. Your steep upward grade trend, multiple pubs, and solid ECs will help. If you are of nontraditional age, that would help even more. Note that the numbers cited include those with significant modifying factors, such as completion of an SMP or adding diversity to a class. To boost yor chances of success in one cycle, you might consider adding some of the ~local DO med schools to your application list.

Catalystik, I did not know age plays a factors in admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a 3.27 total gpa, 3.2 science gpa, 34s MCAT
Double major in Molecular Biology and Classical History from a California school
I have 8 publications in biology research after 6 years of experience
I have played 2 Division I NCAA sports as well throughout college, winning a national title
I was also a vice president in student government for 2 years and representative in the NCAA legislative council.
I have 200+ hours of clinical experience, and experience from foreign medical missions
I have also coached high school sports for 2 years as well as tutored in biology and other subjects
I'm also fluent in Spanish, French, and Arabic

I realize my GPA is low but after leaving athletics my 3rd year, my GPA skyrocketed incredibly. I'm planning for the 2012 cycle, how do my chances look? I'm a CA resident, but I need to get into an MD program somewhere in the US so I'll apply anywhere and everywhere.

Your EC's are awesome! From what I've read so far around all the various forums, your application will definitely standout.

thanks for the insight, I should be adding a medical device patent on my resume as well in the near future and plan on teaching and doing clinic work in Southeast Asia for the next year and a half. So hopefully that'll help as well? I'm currently employed in the medical research field until then.

Yes they've been done in multiple CA hospitals. Is there anything else I can add to my app that would set me apart, aside from getting a masters or some other increase in GPA? I'm not of minority descent nor am I of nontraditional age.

I've actually received an invitation to play in a philharmonic orchestra while I'm there, and have arranged that to coincide with teaching and clinic work during the other parts of my days there