My DAT Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmick101

Kung Fu DDS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well Folks, took the DAT today and here is how I did.
22 PAT (98.9)
17 QR :smuggrin: (70.8)
23 Reading Comp (95)
20 Bio (94)
23 Gchem (96)
23 Ochem (97)
22 Total Sci (98)
21 AA (96)

Topscore scores: I kept clearing my scores and retaking the tests so I cant really remember my original scores, but these are the general ranges:
21 PAT
18-21 on the sciences
19 QR

DAT Achiever:
1. PAT 15, bio 21, gchem 18, ochem 19, qr 18, reading comp 26
2. PAT 16, bio 16, gchem 17, ochem 15
3. PAT 18, bio 15, gchem 15, ochem 20, qr 20

For those of you who have sucked on the DAT Achiever, there is hope!
The real PAT is definitely easier, except for the angles. Doing the DAT achiever PAT test is such good practice. I did PAT stuff every night for an hour or two for a few weeks, redoing the problems. When it comes to angles, there is really no amount of practice that will help you distinguish between angles that are less than 5 degrees. I tried to get done with cubes in 5 minutes and hole punching in 5 minutes. That will give you plenty of time for the other, harder parts.

Biology went beyond the scope of Kaplan, which has been noted by many other people. I used Schaums and Sparknote Flashcards. I picked up the Flashcards from Barnes and Nobles for 10 bucks, well worth it. By the way, there are some posts that relate how some questions from DAT achiever showed up on the real thing... I recommend looking closely at these posts.

Gchem and Ochem were easier in my opinion than the stuff you see on Topscore.

What can I say about QR other than I got caught with my pants down! Someone posted that you should write out a the trig functions for 30, 45, and 60 degress. That was a good idea that helped me get one or two questions right (I think). Basically that 45 minutes just flies by! By the way, know how to convert between fahrenheit and celcius.

Good resources have been the Kaplan red book, Sparksnotes stuff, Schaums Bio, my Ochem notes, a Gchem Text and solutions manual (for supplemental problems to Kaplan). I would also say that reading posts on SDN has been a HUGE help. Just stay away from it when you know you should be studying. Best of luck to everyone, hope this has been helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

great job! I know how you feel with the conversion between Farenheit and Celcius, it made me sit back and remember what to do, I ended up converting 212 F to 100 C and used the same steps to do my conversion :laugh:

congrats again!

jmick101 said:
22 PAT (98.9)
23 Reading Comp (95)
20 Bio (94)
23 Gchem (96)
23 Ochem (97)
22 Total Sci (98)
21 AA (96)

Topscore scores: I kept clearing my scores and retaking the tests so I cant really remember my original scores, but these are the general ranges:
21 PAT
18-21 on the sciences
19 QR

DAT Achiever:

The real PAT is definitely easier, except for the angles. Doing the DAT achiever PAT test is such good practice. I did PAT stuff every night for an hour or two for a few weeks, redoing the problems. When it comes to angles, there is really no amount of practice that will help you distinguish between angles that are less than 5 degrees, for that you need the paper ruler. Speaking of the paper ruler, it is totally legit. I just folded one of my sheets of paper over itself three times, ripped it in half and used the two peices as my ruler. Thing is you have to give every single peice of paper back, and the proctors check that paper over like a hawk after you are done. Another thing, if you are going to do the paper ruler thing, you have to be fast. I tried to get done with cubes in 5 minutes and hole punching in 5 minutes. That will give you plenty of time for the other, harder parts.

Biology went beyond the scope of Kaplan, which has been noted by many other people. I used Schaums and Sparknote Flashcards. I picked up the Flashcards from Barnes and Nobles for 10 bucks, well worth it. By the way, there are some posts that relate how some questions from DAT achiever showed up on the real thing... I recommend looking closely at these posts.

What can I say about QR other than I got caught with my pants down! Someone posted that you should write out a the trig functions for 30, 45, and 60 degress. That was a good idea that helped me get one or two questions right (I think). Basically that 45 minutes just flies by! By the way, know how to convert between fahrenheit and celcius.

Good resources have been the Kaplan red book, Sparksnotes stuff, Schaums Bio, my Ochem notes, a Gchem Text and solutions manual (for supplemental problems to Kaplan). I would also say that reading posts on SDN has been a HUGE help. Just stay away from it when you know you should be studying. Best of luck to everyone, hope this has been helpful.

Congratulations! Enjoy your rest of the summer. :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
jmick101 said:
22 PAT (98.9)
23 Reading Comp (95)
20 Bio (94)
23 Gchem (96)
23 Ochem (97)
22 Total Sci (98)
21 AA (96)

21 PAT
18-21 on the sciences
19 QR

DAT Achiever:

The real PAT is definitely easier, except for the angles. Doing the DAT achiever PAT test is such good practice. I did PAT stuff every night for an hour or two for a few weeks, redoing the problems. When it comes to angles, there is really no amount of practice that will help you distinguish between angles that are less than 5 degrees, for that you need the paper ruler. Speaking of the paper ruler, it is totally legit. I just folded one of my sheets of paper over itself three times, ripped it in half and used the two peices as my ruler. Thing is you have to give every single peice of paper back, and the proctors check that paper over like a hawk after you are done. Another thing, if you are going to do the paper ruler thing, you have to be fast. I tried to get done with cubes in 5 minutes and hole punching in 5 minutes. That will give you plenty of time for the other, harder parts.

just a little curious
How is that you got 22 on PAT with 98.5%????
wouldn't they simply multiply .985 to 30 and get 29??? 0_0

how do the admin convert percentile into the raw score??

great job~ congratulations~
nice solid score... I want your rc scores...kekeke :D

xenomblack said:
just a little curious

Its percentile, not percent correct. Means out of 100 people, he/she finished in the top 1.5%. I think...

Yeah, Parkwod is right. It's not percent correct but how well you did compared to others. The percentile also depends on each person's test, that's why a person who got a 23 could have the same percentile as someone with a 26.

xenomblack said:
just a little curious

Who knows how they figure these things out. All I know is that there are some dang smart kids taking the DAT these days because there is some crazy Bell curvin' going on.

Congrats! Awesome scores! I don't know how I am going to compete with these type of scores. I hope the best for you.

:)

hahhaha lol
yeah sure man
I think rc is more important than qr...
my opinion just 5% more kekeke :D

hey jimick,
congradulation for ur high score. you have a great shot in any dental school.
wondering what ur reading passages was? and how was QR section..was there any word problem regarding,discount,geometry, distance, age, probability, coversion, trig..
are they harder than topscore and Achiever that needs alot of thinking or is it easy to slove...takes me forever...
good job again
and good luck sending ur AADSAS

jmick101 said:
22 PAT (98.9)
23 Reading Comp (95)
20 Bio (94)
23 Gchem (96)
23 Ochem (97)
22 Total Sci (98)
21 AA (96)

21 PAT
18-21 on the sciences
19 QR

DAT Achiever:

parkwod said:
Its percentile, not percent correct. Means out of 100 people, he/she finished in the top 1.5%. I think...

oh ok
That makes it much clearer.
dang.. 22 is within top 1.5%...
Good job!!! ;)

NJdian said:
hey jimick,
congradulation for ur high score. you have a great shot in any dental school.
wondering what ur reading passages was? and how was QR section..was there any word problem regarding,discount,geometry, distance, age, probability, coversion, trig..
are they harder than topscore and Achiever that needs alot of thinking or is it easy to slove...takes me forever...
good job again
and good luck sending ur AADSAS
Thanks! I had the cancer, finance :sleep: , and nervous system passages. What I wasnt expecting on the RC was that they seemed longer than the practice ones, especially the finance one which was around 17 paragraphs. For QR there were lots of fractions I recall, word problems of course, not much geometry maybe 2 or 3 questions, and a few conversions. I thought that I did better than 17 because only a few of them were skippers (problems that I didnt even bother trying to solve).