My DO schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambitiousMED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to DO schools this summer.
Chemical Eng, GPA: 3.98, MCAT: 502
Canadian International, but went to HS, Undergrad, and Grad school in America
Here is the list of schools I am trying to apply to:

Name
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Georgia Campus-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Auburn Campus (VCOM-CC)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Carolinas Campus (VCOM-CC)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC)
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)
Nova Southeastern UniversityCollege of Osteopathic Medicine (NSUCOM)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM/MWU)
Chicago COM of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU)
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM)

Any suggestions? Add/remove
I personally called these DO schools and they weren't very happy to give out the lowest MCAT score accepted data. I hope this list also helps other internationals out there!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to DO schools this summer.
Chemical Eng, GPA: 3.98, MCAT: 502
Canadian International, but went to HS, Undergrad, and Grad school in America
Here is the list of schools I am trying to apply to:

Name
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Georgia Campus-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Auburn Campus (VCOM-CC)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Carolinas Campus (VCOM-CC)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine–Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC)
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)
Nova Southeastern UniversityCollege of Osteopathic Medicine (NSUCOM)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM/MWU)
Chicago COM of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU)
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM)

Any suggestions? Add/remove
I personally called these DO schools and they weren't very happy to give out the lowest MCAT score accepted data. I hope this list also helps other internationals out there!

Throw in a few more of the newer schools and you're golden with that GPA. Those include:
ACOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
And a few more that I can't recall off the top of my head. Just do a google search to see the newest DO schools as well as some that may be opening up to accept their first class in 2017. Obviously you'd want to go to the most established school you can get into, but it's important to have a bit of a safety net too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, why not retake the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Throw in a few more of the newer schools and you're golden with that GPA. Those include:
ACOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
And a few more that I can't recall off the top of my head. Just do a google search to see the newest DO schools as well as some that may be opening up to accept their first class in 2017. Obviously you'd want to go to the most established school you can get into, but it's important to have a bit of a safety net too.

No need for the newer schools. would personally avoid DCOM right now. A lot of things changing around there.

+1 for Marian: Strong clinical rotations, can even stay in Indy for all of 3rd year!
+1 for DMU, KCU -- great programs :)

Maybe only apply to 1-2 of the VCOMS; they have a heavy preference for applicants from the SE, will probably have a heavy bias against a Canadian.

I'd take out the 2 VCOMs you like the least and replace with: DMU & NYIT

No need for the newer schools. would personally avoid DCOM right now. A lot of things changing around there.
Disagree. With the number of schools the op is applying to, (unless the op doesn't mind two cycles) he/she should provide a safety net.

Disagree. With the number of schools the op is applying to, (unless the op doesn't mind two cycles) he/she should provide a safety net.

that's fine, but doesn't change my point. with that GPA, truly good advice would be retaking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 for Marian: Strong clinical rotations, can even stay in Indy for all of 3rd year!
+1 for DMU, KCU -- great programs :)

Maybe only apply to 1-2 of the VCOMS; they have a heavy preference for applicants from the SE, will probably have a heavy bias against a Canadian.

I'd take out the 2 VCOMs you like the least and replace with: DMU & NYIT

It seems I am not eligible for DMU but I can apply to NYIT. Thank you!

Why wouldn't you retake your MCAT? You're only 6-7 points away from reaching the median of matriculation for MD. And with your GPA as long as you applies to a nice mix of schools you should be fine (as long as there aren't any other red flags).

Why wouldn't you retake your MCAT? You're only 6-7 points away from reaching the median of matriculation for MD. And with your GPA as long as you applies to a nice mix of schools you should be fine (as long as there aren't any other red flags).

I work in a research lab 12-16 hours a day. It's quite difficult to study for the MCAT and retake it with my schedule and also provide for myself.

Damn, I hear UNECOM is going through a lot of changes as well and of course Touro is very unpredictable right now. The uncertainty is my only concern about DO schools (and the rural locations for most of them).

Damn, I hear UNECOM is going through a lot of changes as well and of course Touro is very unpredictable right now. The uncertainty is my only concern about DO schools (and the rural locations for most of them).

What's going on at UNECOM? They've always been pretty stable, at least that's what I've always thought.

Just a general comment:

From my experience this cycle, I feel as if the VCOMs and LECOMs LOVEEE high gpa's. Wouldn't at all be surprised if you get some love there.

Also, definitely add MSUCOM as others have suggested.

You're definitely competitive for all DO schools given your GPA. Your MCAT is low but acceptable and mitigated to an extent. However if I were you I'd give the MCAT one more try this summer and see if you can improve. If you go up another 6 points you're in great shape for all the "old" DO schools and could be competitive for USMD also.

PCOM ga is 80+% instate and told me not to apply there because of that so keep that in mind. I'd add DCOM, BCOM, and MSUCOM, maybe KCU and Campbell

When you say unpredictable, what do you mean? What changes are happening at these schools?

PCOM ga is 80+% instate and told me not to apply there because of that so keep that in mind. I'd add DCOM, BCOM, and MSUCOM, maybe KCU and Campbell

I don't think they will take Canadian students with a pending green card application.
Do you know if the other PCOM has a bias? (The one in Philly)

I will not be applying to UNECOM and any of the Touros as suggested.

I've seen a couple comments about the changing curriculum and now mandatory attendance and overall stricter atmosphere at UNECOM but I don't know much else. Maybe @Mad Jack can chime in?

I work in a research lab 12-16 hours a day. It's quite difficult to study for the MCAT and retake it with my schedule and also provide for myself.

Perhaps a 507+ isn't feasible, but I feel like with smart studying (practice tests, reviewing only high-yield and content you're uncomfortable with), you can bump that MCAT without too much effort up to a 505, which will definitely help you in being more competitive for the public and/or established DOs, especially with that GPA.