My Experiences in the Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmurray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just thought it may be valuable for some to hear some info I have learned in the application process, so hopefully you won't make the same mistakes I did. I have applied the last 3 years, have been wait-listed at several different schools, but still have not been accepted. I have seen pretty clearly the error in my ways, and will again be applying next admission cycle. 4th Times a charm right?

1. Apply as early as possible. This is especially true if the school has a rolling admissions cycle.

2. Retake all classes you have C's in. This is true for most all schools. I have talked with several admissions counselors about my application, and they have said having more than one C on your transcript really hurt your chances.

3. Your core science GPA is incredibly important, and you need to do well in these classes. Despite having good grades in statistics, psychologies, etc, my core science GPA really hurt my chances.

4. Take advantage of the PTCAS financial waiver if you can qualify for it. For me personally, I am a recent college graduate struggling to make ends meet just like millions of others. The waiver was an incredible help for my finances.

5. Get to know the faculty of the schools you are applying to.

6. Being a well-rounded individual does not make up for average academic stats. Right now, it seems the minimum to get an acceptance letter in PT School would be a 3.3 Overall, 3.3 Prereq, 151 Verbal, ??? Quant. Several administrators have told me your quant score doesn't particularly matter. Study verbal hard.

7. If you don't meet the minimum school requirements, don't bother applying. It really is a waste of money. Your application will be discarded.

8. Retake courses at your local community college. Check first to see if they are accepted, but from my experience where you take the course does not matter as long as you get an A in it.

Hear are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.03
Pre-Req GPA: 3.25
Verbal GRE: 149
Math GRE: 156

Hope this helps.
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. When you say retake C's or lower, does that go for outside of pre-reqs. I don't have a grade below a B on my transcript with the exception of a glaring D+ in Organic Chemistry. All B's B+'s, and A's on my pre-reqs though.

Well Organic is definitely a tough class, but I would seriously consider retaking it since a lot of the colleges recommend you take it for your Science chem anyways. I have a D+ from Freshmen year in sociology that has haunted my transcripts (Yes, I feel like an idiot). When I met with the admissions director at MUSC he pointed that out as a weakness in my transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just thought it may be valuable for some to hear some info I have learned in the application process, so hopefully you won't make the same mistakes I did. I have applied the last 3 years, have been wait-listed at several different schools, but still have not been accepted. I have seen pretty clearly the error in my ways, and will again be applying next admission cycle. 4th Times a charm right?

1. Apply as early as possible. This is especially true if the school has a rolling admissions cycle.

2. Retake all classes you have C's in. This is true for most all schools. I have talked with several admissions counselors about my application, and they have said having more than one C on your transcript really hurt your chances.

3. Your core science GPA is incredibly important, and you need to do well in these classes. Despite having good grades in statistics, psychologies, etc, my core science GPA really hurt my chances.

4. Take advantage of the PTCAS financial waiver if you can qualify for it. For me personally, I am a recent college graduate struggling to make ends meet just like millions of others. The waiver was an incredible help for my finances.

6. Being a well-rounded individual does not make up for average academic stats. Right now, it seems the minimum to get an acceptance letter in PT School would be a 3.3 Overall, 3.3 Prereq, 151 Verbal, ??? Quant. Several administrators have told me your quant score doesn't particularly matter. Study verbal hard.

7. If you don't meet the minimum school requirements, don't bother applying. It really is a waste of money. Your application will be discarded.

8. Retake courses at your local community college. Check first to see if they are accepted, but from my experience where you take the course does not matter as long as you get an A in it.

Hear are my stats:

Hope this helps.
Scott

awesome tips Scott. I happened to get into one school with a 146 Verbal, so it really depends. Honestly, keep everything high and dont half-ass the GRE and you won't have to worry.

So this is your 3rd application cycle? Do you think re-applicants have a higher chance of getting in? I applied to 8 schools the first year of out college and got denied and two waitlists. Applied again and one of the waitlisted schools accepted me. I suggest applying early and your first year of out college even if you plan on taking a gap year!

Hey everyone,

Hope this helps.
Scott

I have a C+ in Chem and wondering if I should retake it (I should add that I have already retaken it once). If schools take the higher grade, then this would be my only C+ toward my science GPA. The schools I have talked to also have said that they suggest I retake the class I have a C in. I'm just in between the whole retaking for a third time (even if I get an A), would that be seen as a bad thing?

I have a C+ in Chem and wondering if I should retake it (I should add that I have already retaken it once). If schools take the higher grade, then this would be my only C+ toward my science GPA. The schools I have talked to also have said that they suggest I retake the class I have a C in. I'm just in between the whole retaking for a third time (even if I get an A), would that be seen as a bad thing?
When you say schools are also retake the class you have a C in, do you mean Chem or a second class that you have a C in that is not a pre-req?

Definitely apply early. I ran into this problem. A school may have a deadline in October and November, but you should still have your application in months before that because they very well may have all their slots filled before their deadline hits.

When you say schools are also retake the class you have a C in, do you mean Chem or a second class that you have a C in that is not a pre-req?

I had had a C+ in one of my physics classes before and the admissions advisor at several schools (ranked top 20) suggested I retook it. I did and got an A.

I had had a C+ in one of my physics classes before and the admissions advisor at several schools (ranked top 20) suggested I retook it. I did and got an A.
Thanks! (And thanks for seeing through my typo!)

I've retaken my C's and brought them up to A's but what's your opinion on B's? Considering how competitive that stats are, would it be worth the money and time to retake the prerequisites with B's as well? I know I should also keep in mind that some schools take the average vs. some that take the highest. What is your input?

The ptcas application itself averages out your grades. While individual schools might recalculate them, I doubt it's a frequent practice. I can't actually KNOW, but it would make sense to me that they use the ptcas application to screen pGPA, cGPA and GRE and only really look over your individual classes if you get through the initial screen. To that end, I feel that retaking B classes will have diminishing returns and probably isn't worth the time

I've retaken my C's and brought them up to A's but what's your opinion on B's? Considering how competitive that stats are, would it be worth the money and time to retake the prerequisites with B's as well? I know I should also keep in mind that some schools take the average vs. some that take the highest. What is your input?

Only retake A&P if you got a B. Otherwise, don't waste your time and money trying to get a B+ or an A, a grade you might not get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, be careful how much money you spend retaking classes. Instead, really push hard to make sure the rest of your grades are A's. If they see a trend they may be more inclined to consider your application. Also, and I've said this on other posts, make sure to write a killer essay. The director of a PT program I interviewed at told us verbatim "Your essay is what got you here." This may not be true at every school, but it's an opportunity to show them who you really are, and stand out.

Concerning bad grades, does this count as a bad grade in a non-prerequisite? I got a D in Precalculus but then got an A in it the second time around at a CC. My GPA is solid otherwise.

jsmurray when you say retake classes with Cs are you referring to any class on your transcript? I received a C+ in in Orgo 2, Orgo lab, and Intermediate Organic Chem. So far none of schools I am applying to seem to count these beyond including them in my overall GPA. IUPUI takes into account math/science GPA but they calculate their own, and these classes are not included in it. If I'm not accepted this round, wouldn't it more advisable to work on improving my core pre-requisite GPA (B in Physics 1, B in Stats) rather than trying to redo those advanced courses?

Hey everyone,

Hear are my stats:

Hope this helps.
Scott

Everything that you stated is basically the criteria that needs to be met in order for them to actually consider a candidate. The schools that i've talked to have told me that C's and B's are not considered if being compared to an A student.

Keep up the hard work and good luck!

Good thread with good points, thanks OP for pointing all these things out in a summarized way. You sound like you have spent more time talking to admissions people than most!

I found it interesting what you said about verbal GRE mattering more than quant, as I've never really heard this before. What schools did you hear that from? I hope this is true since my verbal score was killer but my quant was average :)

Hm, this makes me concerned since I plan on applying this coming cycle. I have C's in both Physics I and II. Other than that, I have B's and A's on my other pre-reqs. I remember reading in another thread not to worry so much about C's in Physics though. So, now I'm not sure. Since I plan on applying to UNTHSC and other Texas schools such as TWU and Texas State, I don't know if I can for Texas State. Should I still retake them?

What is everyone's opinion on someone like myself with a low cumulative (waiting on PTCAS calculation) of around 3.1 or so, although last 50 credits are 4.0 and a 320 + GRE. My GPA scares me. I graduated with a 2.7 undergraduate and went on to complete a 3.7 masters and 4.0 40 credit post bach.

I remember reading in another thread not to worry so much about C's in Physics though.

I would worry...C's in both semesters of physics is a major red flag on your application. If you apply to a lot of schools and your GPA is decent otherwise (like >3.5) you stand a chance at getting in somewhere, but there is a good chance you will need to re-take those physics classes. Might not be worth it to do it now though, might be more worth it to you to apply and try to get in and then retake them if you don't. That is a major decision to make so you need to do your research and consider your options carefully.

What is everyone's opinion on someone like myself with a low cumulative (waiting on PTCAS calculation) of around 3.1 or so, although last 50 credits are 4.0 and a 320 + GRE. My GPA scares me. I graduated with a 2.7 undergraduate and went on to complete a 3.7 masters and 4.0 40 credit post bach.

There is an Application Stats sticky at the top of the forum as well as many, many "what are my chances threads" that have been posted here in pre-PT. They should provide you will all the information you need to get an idea of where you stand. The admissions data/averages provided by the schools you want to apply to will do so as well. Good luck!

There is an Application Stats sticky at the top of the forum as well as many, many "what are my chances threads" that have been posted here in pre-PT. They should provide you will all the information you need to get an idea of where you stand. The admissions data/averages provided by the schools you want to apply to will do so as well. Good luck!

I realize that, however this thread was discussing the topic of low gpas. I feel like my post was relevant, your moderation isn't really needed. The OP states that the minimum is a 3.3, I was curious to see what he thought about my situation. You really think I haven't done my due diligence? Good luck!

The OP states that the minimum is a 3.3, I was curious to see what he thought about my situation.

Well then you should have said that.

My point was that you are not going to get any different answers here than the ones that have been given in many other threads. I was also trying to inform you of the information that is is available on the forum, on the chance you might not have been aware yet, since you are a new member. Can no good deed go unpunished? ;)

I hope I do not have to re-take the one course that I received a "C" in, as I'm not sure I can go back to U.C. Irvine and re-take it since I already graduated in 2009. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA and currently received all A's in the class I have taken at my local community college since (so I'm guessing my overall GPA is around a 3.65 and my pre-req GPA is a 3.8-3.9). I applied to a lot of schools though just in case.

Well then you should have said that.

My point was that you are not going to get any different answers here than the ones that have been given in many other threads. I was also trying to inform you of the information that is is available on the forum, on the chance you might not have been aware yet, since you are a new member. Can no good deed go unpunished? ;)
Haha well I apologize then, thank you for the information. I'm actually going back quite a bit in the acceptance thread and finding some gems.

I would worry...C's in both semesters of physics is a major red flag on your application. If you apply to a lot of schools and your GPA is decent otherwise (like >3.5) you stand a chance at getting in somewhere, but there is a good chance you will need to re-take those physics classes. Might not be worth it to do it now though, might be more worth it to you to apply and try to get in and then retake them if you don't. That is a major decision to make so you need to do your research and consider your options carefully.

Ah yeah...I have this Fall to retake them, if not both then at least one?..

do any of you know applicants who have received several C's in their pre-reqs but still managed to get into schools? I have about 5 or 6 :(

If you want to go to PT school and you have 5 or 6 C's in your pre-reqs, you need to retake them. It is just that simple. Most schools only require 10-15 classes as pre-reqs, you you would have C's in at least half of them at most schools.

I spoke with some credit evaluators, and they have told me that applications with C's that are not retaken for a better grade are tossed. The evaluators are from private universities, if that helps.

Good luck!

So I decided to hold off and apply next year to improve my grades. It was a tough decision but I think it's the best for me, especially if I know I won't get in. I'll retake most classes that I got C's in, and I'm fairly confident that I'll earn A's in them.
Do you guys think it looks bad when schools have seen that you've had to retake classes?

But it looks even worse to have a bunch of Cs and NOT retake them for As

I mean, I guess it looks better to not have needed to retake to start, but you can't go back in time. Retaking a class and getting an A is way, way better than leaving the C.