My file is stuck, any suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanibravo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

My D.O file is stuck. A couple of universities have reviewed it and kept it without rejecting me. My MCAT and gpa were good enough to get me one acceptance and one interview so far, but some other see me as competitive for later on I guess.

Is there anything u think I can do to push my file a bit, give it a stimulus. I was thinking of volunteering with a new D.O.

I am really out of ideas, please pitch in

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

My D.O file is stuck. A couple of universities have reviewed it and kept it without rejecting me. My MCAT and gpa were good enough to get me one acceptance and one interview so far, but some other see me as competitive for later on I guess.

Is there anything u think I can do to push my file a bit, give it a stimulus. I was thinking of volunteering with a new D.O.

This purgatory becomes a reality for so many applicants. I think everyone has at least one school where their application is just kinda ... there. It's on a pre-interview hold, or they just have had it for a few months and haven't gotten back to you yet, or you just aren't getting replies from admissions office, etc. First, be happy with that acceptance. Pressure should be turned way down after that fact. Second, if you want to attend these other schools, you need to just contact them, ask what to do, and after they give you the 'update us with new activities, employment, etc,' just do that. Maybe write a statement of intent if you are that sure about a program, etc. However, be happy that you have an acceptance. There are many people stuck in the same situation, but without that golden ticket to the Chocolate Factory (weird).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello folks,

Volunteering with a new DO is unlikely to help, in my opinion. I would suggest sending a letter of interest to the school. It might get them to take a second look.

I have a couple of purgatories as well. One was a regional issue that I was not surprised about, they even hinted that me not being from an Appalachian area is a detriment. The other one was KCUMB, a school 15 minutes from my house, which was a top choice for me, and my LOR was from an alumni, and my cousin is an alumni. Who the heck knows why I did not get an interview there. Just s constant reminder that it is, in fact, a crap shoot.

I know it is frustrating, but at least you have gotten in somewhere. Keep your head up, and if you are more interested in another school, let them know about it.

Volunteering with a new DO is unlikely to help, in my opinion. I would suggest sending a letter of interest to the school. It might get them to take a second look.

I have a couple of purgatories as well. One was a regional issue that I was not surprised about, they even hinted that me not being from an Appalachian area is a detriment. The other one was KCUMB, a school 15 minutes from my house, which was a top choice for me, and my LOR was from an alumni, and my cousin is an alumni. Who the heck knows why I did not get an interview there. Just s constant reminder that it is, in fact, a crap shoot.

I know it is frustrating, but at least you have gotten in somewhere. Keep your head up, and if you are more interested in another school, let them know about it.

Kevon: I hope that Appalachian school was not VCOM. I just sent a letter of interest due to my pre-interview hold. I'm in the west and even farther removed than you are. :(

Hello folks,

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat, I have two interviews which I'm psyched about but they are to my bottom choices, and with the time restrictions on accepting or declining a spot I am getting a bit frantic about the others getting back to me! Thanks for this thread, it is very helpful:)

Hello folks,

That happened to me at several schools that I thought I was going to get an interview for, I think the process is very subjective, and a lot of people are simply ignored by the adcoms, but I am grateful to the schools that acknowledged my application. I am a reapplicant, and several schools that did not even give me an answer after submitting a secondary to them last year granted me an interview this year.

That happened to me at several schools that I thought I was going to get an interview for, I think the process is very subjective, and a lot of people are simply ignored by the adcoms, but I am grateful to the schools that acknowledged my application. I am a reapplicant, and several schools that did not even give me an answer after submitting a secondary to them last year granted me an interview this year.

The number one lesson I have learned in this process is that it is unpredictable, and don't expect/count on anything. I have received interviews and even acceptances from schools that I didn't even think would send me a secondary and subsequently, I have received holds and even rejections from schools where I was essentially expecting an interview or assumed attendance was always an option. It's so random. Be grateful for an acceptances.

My app seems stuck at both PCOMs. Was told mid October that I was complete and to be patient. Haven't heard anything since getting a random email yesterday from GA-PCOM saying that my app has been received. Doesn't really matter as I've decided on a school.

My app seems stuck at both PCOMs. Was told mid October that I was complete and to be patient. Haven't heard anything since getting a random email yesterday from GA-PCOM saying that my app has been received. Doesn't really matter as I've decided on a school.
The exact same thing happened to me with them last week! It is so frustrating. I did however get the impression from the woman at GA that they were at the mercy of Philly's admissions office. She couldn't even look up my virtual evals, said someone in Philly had to.

Definitely send a letter of interest. I kind of combined "letter of interest" with "update letter". I hadn't heard anything from 4 of the 11 schools I applied two- 3 of which were complete reaches. But I was hopeful about the other one. I sent the email this morning to update and show them my interest in their program, and they emailed me back in about 30 minutes. Apparently there was a cancellation for THIS Friday, and they invited me to come interview. I'll take it!!

So, from personal experience, definitely try the LOI! Make sure it is nicely written. It can't hurt, although it may not help either. Worth a try though!

My application is also in the "stuck" phase at PCOM-Philadelphia. I have been complete since mid-september, and have higher GPAs (overall/science) and MCAT scores as compared to their accepted averages. I have called a number of times to find out what I could however I was not able to find out anything. They reassured me to just be patient and that sometimes the files are reviewed by multiple people and not necessarily in the chronological order in which they were received. Therefore, at this point, I guess patience is truly a virtue with PCOM. Best of luck.

For letters of interest do you sum up your essays? For many schools I have already given all my interests/ec's and detailed reasons why I want to attend that program in the secondary app. Do you all think it helps even if you are repetitive? Also, how long should one of these be, 1pg? less?