DIY Post Bacc class suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arahim3

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to ask your opinions on taking some upper-level Public Health and Kinesiology courses to improve my science GPA. Took two 3000 and 4000 science level classes over the summer and am taking another one now but could not find any others to take. Hence, I was considering 3000 level Public Health and Kinesiology classes since I saw they are included in science GPA. Any thoughts on this? Would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

None of those courses will have any affect on your AMCAS BCPM GPA for MD schools, but they will help your AACOMAS BCPM GPA for DO. Those courses aren't rigorous take upper level biology courses.

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to ask your opinions on taking some upper-level Public Health and Kinesiology courses to improve my science GPA. Took two 3000 and 4000 science level classes over the summer and am taking another one now but could not find any others to take. Hence, I was considering 3000 level Public Health and Kinesiology classes since I saw they are included in science GPA. Any thoughts on this? Would be much appreciated.

Classes I took that were actually useful once I was in medical school in descending order:
Biochemistry II
Biochemistry I
Molecular Biology
Genetics/Immunology
Physiology
Anatomy
Histology (the bane of my existence)

Classes I took to fluff my GPA over the summer:
Public Health/Geology/Kinesiology/Astronomy

Members don't see this ad :)
Classes I took that were actually useful once I was in medical school in descending order:
Biochemistry II
Biochemistry I
Molecular Biology
Genetics/Immunology
Physiology
Anatomy
Histology (the bane of my existence)

Classes I took to fluff my GPA over the summer:
Public Health/Geology/Kinesiology/Astronomy

Were any of these online/would it be frowned upon? Not OP, but planning for the worst case scenario (all Rs) - I'm working a 9-5 clinical job to support myself so traditional classes might be difficult to facilitate. I've taken all those upper-level sciences you've listed already (As/Bs) so I'd be looking more at the GPA-fluffing category of classes.

Were any of these online/would it be frowned upon? Not OP, but planning for the worst case scenario (all Rs) - I'm working a 9-5 clinical job to support myself so traditional classes might be difficult to facilitate. I've taken all those upper-level sciences you've listed already (As/Bs) so I'd be looking more at the GPA-fluffing category of classes.
I honestly don't know how online classes are viewed other than that some schools won't take them. Although if you take the classes at a school that doesn't differentiate between online/traditional then I suppose it doesn't matter since the schools that do take online classes won't be able to see which is which.