My first observation hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlotter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have fun, act professionally and DON'T BE A WALL FLOWER. I've noticed that so many observe and volunteers don't actively engage with the patients, as if they are afraid of them. I learned just as much talking to the patients about why they were there and PT through their eyes as I did watching the therapists.

I also brought a notebook, and after each session would write down the things I saw / learned that were new and exciting.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that with any experience, you get out of it what you put into it. ALWAYS make time to engage with the patients, if you can. It is good to interact with the PT's there, but the patients are the ones you will be serving/ treating in this profession. Make sure you are comfortable interacting with them on a professional and personal level. The patients often want to get to know you just as much as you want to get to know them. At the clinic I work at now, for example, I feel comfortable asking "How are your grandkids?" "How's your wife?" because I have gotten to know each and every patient treatment-wise and as a person. I was definitely a little nervous my first experience. I wasn't exactly familiar with all the terminology, so I would ask a lot of questions and even make a cheat sheet to help me remember the difference between abduction and adduction or what exercises were used for which injuries. Now, it's just a big party because I feel comfortable doing what I do. Honestly, just have fun with it! Physical therapy is an AWESOME profession. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, and don't be afraid to have fun either! With any profession, you have to have a passion for the people you will be helping everyday, once you have that, the rest is smooth sailing. GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that I've noticed during my observation and now having 1 yr experience as a tech (and having observers come into the clinic) is that asking questions can be beneficial, but searching for questions to ask just to ask them is not something I recommend. Don't think that because you're observing you're obligated to ask questions all the time. Don't force the questions to the PTs, some will know that you're forcing them. Don't be afraid to ask them questions even if they look busy all the time. Be confident in asking them. Sometimes you have to pick their brains here and there. Some PTs that I've observed and now work for tend to huddle around their own space, but they don't really mind questions here and there. Especially when you're trying to figure out something about the patients you're treating. It's better to ask and do instead of just assuming and doing. Just be yourself, be relaxed, you are there to learn and observe. And who knows, you may get opportunities here and there to help out the techs and/or PTs there. I went into an acute care hospital thinking I was just going to observe, but the PT there was so friendly and included me in the therapeutic exercise sessions.

This will be a disappointing response and for those who read regularly I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but:

1. I'd recommend not using your real picture on here. Best to remain anonymous as PT is a small world and you just never know.
2. There are hundreds of threads on here regarding all things observation hours. These are recommended reading for you.

Reactions: 1 user