My first post...what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonPablo50

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been reading a few posts and this is a great forum. It's so encouraging and full of priceless information.

Anyway, I have my BS in Engineering (Electrical and Computer emphasis) and had not so strong GPA ~ 2.94. I graduated in 5/01. I took a biology 1 class and got a C+ and got C's in my chem I and II classes. My Math classes were all B or B+'s with the exceptioin of Cal III where I got a D and retook it for a C+. I got a D in Physics I and retook it for a B+ and got a B+ in Phys II.

I worked as an engineer for almost 3 years and am currently working in the administrative side of a home health company.

Well, I decided I want to go to medicine. I went back to a local university here and took Bio II and Chem I and got A's. I will be taking Bio I and Chem II this summer and will get A's. If I do well in Organic and some higher level Bios for prerequisites and volunteer at a local hospital, how do I look as a candidate for medical school?

I have done some voluteer work while I was in college for one summer and previous to that I went to a health professions high school and volunteered in an orthopedic surgeon's office. So, I kind of know what I'm getting into.

Any advice, opinions, or anectdotes would sure help me. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

DonPablo50 said:
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been reading a few posts and this is a great forum. It's so encouraging and full of priceless information.

Anyway, I have my BS in Engineering (Electrical and Computer emphasis) and had not so strong GPA ~ 2.94. I graduated in 5/01. I took a biology 1 class and got a C+ and got C's in my chem I and II classes. My Math classes were all B or B+'s with the exceptioin of Cal III where I got a D and retook it for a C+. I got a D in Physics I and retook it for a B+ and got a B+ in Phys II.

I worked as an engineer for almost 3 years and am currently working in the administrative side of a home health company.

Well, I decided I want to go to medicine. I went back to a local university here and took Bio II and Chem I and got A's. I will be taking Bio I and Chem II this summer and will get A's. If I do well in Organic and some higher level Bios for prerequisites and volunteer at a local hospital, how do I look as a candidate for medical school?

I have done some voluteer work while I was in college for one summer and previous to that I went to a health professions high school and volunteered in an orthopedic surgeon's office. So, I kind of know what I'm getting into.

Any advice, opinions, or anectdotes would sure help me. Thanks in advance!

I give it a 6 out of 10. I would have ranked your post higher had it had some more humor. Bit too long as well.

It was alright. I would have liked to see you finish stronger. It was a little weak for a first post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good intro....flattering always a plus
Second Paragraph...shows faults, not always a bad thing
Body...Shows how you've matured and moved on
Conclusion...I would really like to see it tie it back to the intro

Haha...alright...so now I know how to make a good first post...for the next time I do a first post...umm..yah.

So, how do I look as a candidate for Med school so far (assuming I will keep the up ward trend in grades)?

Note: the post is shorter and has a little bit of humor. :laugh:

DonPablo50 said:
Haha...alright...so now I know how to make a good first post...for the next time I do a first post...umm..yah.

So, how do I look as a candidate for Med school so far (assuming I will keep the up ward trend in grades)?

Note: the post is shorter and has a little bit of humor. :laugh:

Now your second post was much stronger than the first, right up until you pointed out the humor. It's a bit like a comedian saying "Was that last joke funny? Yes it was funny." It completely negates the humor. The smily really added insult to injury. But for a second post, I'd say you have a really bright future ahead of you here.

You have a chance at getting in so it's worth trying. Keep in mind, some of the DO schools are a bit more forgiving to students with lower GPA's if they've shown improvement.

Sledge2005 said:
You have a chance at getting in so it's worth trying. Keep in mind, some of the DO schools are a bit more forgiving to students with lower GPA's if they've shown improvement.

Great! Sometimes I feel so confident and my whole mentality about school is different (more focused). Other times I see my old grades and get so despaired. It's really nice having people encourage you. I have my wife, brother, sister, and parents who do the same, but when you get it from a complete stranger....it just feels good.

DonPablo50 said:
Great! Sometimes I feel so confident and my whole mentality about school is different (more focused). Other times I see my old grades and get so despaired. It's really nice having people encourage you. I have my wife, brother, sister, and parents who do the same, but when you get it from a complete stranger....it just feels good.

The use of ellipses is a controversial practice here on SDN. I admire your steadfast refusal to change your writing style due to the stylistic whims of the SDN masses. 9/10, and keep up the good work.

You should be fine. Just keep gettting good grades and LEARN something from these retake classes so you can crush that MCAT. They will see your determination and maturity by getting A's in those retake classes.

GPACfan said:
You should be fine. Just keep gettting good grades and LEARN something from these retake classes so you can crush that MCAT. They will see your determination and maturity by getting A's in those retake classes.

difficult (impossible?) to judge without mcat score.

qqq said:
difficult (impossible?) to judge without mcat score.

Well, I'm taking the MCAT in the spring of 06. I'm studying now,and I'll keep studyding until April. This test is the only thing that scares me, but I'm getting prepared so hopefully I will not be overwhelmed.

DonPablo50 said:
Well, I'm taking the MCAT in the spring of 06. I'm studying now,and I'll keep studyding until April. This test is the only thing that scares me, but I'm getting prepared so hopefully I will not be overwhelmed.
you'll be fine. volunteer. get some leadership experiences. take human phys before the mcat...genetics...maybe biochem. brush up on physics and chem. will you be taking classes in the fall and next spring?

GPACfan said:

i whole heartedly agree, you should be fine...

one concern though; for some adcoms ripping up the retakes might not be enough and want to see you do well in classes you haven't taken before

so definitely you need to rip up some higher level classes like 2tall has posted already, the biochem, genetics, physiology, those will help for the mcat as well
good luck!!!

Hey Pablo.

I have a similar profile to yours, right down to the engineering background (except mine is in computer science engineering), the GPA, the graduation year (Class of '01 here as well), and the work experience (tech consulting). I got into a handful of allopathic schools this year, so it's definitely do-able. Keep up the work, and try to minimize the number of B's you get. Getting a high MCAT score will likely be key. Are you in a formal post-bacc program or a do-it-yourself? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

lightnk102 said:
Hey Pablo.

I have a similar profile to yours, right down to the engineering background (except mine is in computer science engineering), the GPA, the graduation year (Class of '01 here as well), and the work experience (tech consulting). I got into a handful of allopathic schools this year, so it's definitely do-able. Keep up the work, and try to minimize the number of B's you get. Getting a high MCAT score will likely be key. Are you in a formal post-bacc program or a do-it-yourself? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cool, it would be cool to have you as a guide of sorts! Thanks for the offer, and I will definitely PM you some time. It's amazing how many people can be in your situation and you never know it.

2Tall, I am taking classes in the summer, fall, and spring. I'll be taking organic, human phys, anatomy and phys (just for info), and an honors class titled "Readings in Medicine & Society" in the fall. I'll probably take organic II, genetics, and microbio in the spring. I'll also be volunteering (and hopefully some shadowing opps.)- probably on weekends and/or some nights as I am working as well. Not to mention a Kaplan test prep.

DonPablo50 said:
Cool, it would be cool to have you as a guide of sorts! Thanks for the offer, and I will definitely PM you some time. It's amazing how many people can be in your situation and you never know it.

2Tall, I am taking classes in the summer, fall, and spring. I'll be taking organic, human phys, anatomy and phys (just for info), and an honors class titled "Readings in Medicine & Society" in the fall. I'll probably take organic II, genetics, and microbio in the spring. I'll also be volunteering (and hopefully some shadowing opps.)- probably on weekends and/or some nights as I am working as well. Not to mention a Kaplan test prep.
you'll definitely be prepared for the bio sci section of the MCAT. I, too, was c/o '01 (the first graduating class of the NEW (not so new anymore) MILLENIUM :thumbup: ). be sure to visit your profs during their office hours to maintain some sort of rapport. this'll help when you ask for LORs next year. if you're a texas resident, maintain a post-bacc greater than 3.5, have a decent MCAT, have a nice amount of clinical experience, and APPLY EARLY you should have no problem matching at a texas school. keep the faith.

2tall said:
you'll definitely be prepared for the bio sci section of the MCAT. I, too, was c/o '01 (the first graduating class of the NEW (not so new anymore) MILLENIUM :thumbup: ). be sure to visit your profs during their office hours to maintain some sort of rapport. this'll help when you ask for LORs next year. if you're a texas resident, maintain a post-bacc greater than 3.5, have a decent MCAT, have a nice amount of clinical experience, and APPLY EARLY you should have no problem matching at a texas school. keep the faith.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I can actually see myself in medical school. I want it that bad. I can't wait.