My first post!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmaninoff3rd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here... I've been browsing for a bit and have found a lot of interesting/informational stuff, so it looks like I'll be around more from now on. :p
Anyway, I am currently a 2nd year student at a top school majoring in Math and Piano Performance. I am enrolled in a dual-degree program, which means that I graduate with two bachelor degrees (Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music) but will have to be in undergrad for 5 years. (Schools that offer this include Harvard/New England Conservatory, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, and a few more...if you were wondering.) But anyway, I started college as a pre-med, but absolutely hated my first semester of general chemistry and did not finish off the whole year of chem...haha :smack: But as school went on, I just became more and more confused/lost and lost all motivation...until I gained it back when I became interested in dentistry! I am very detail-oriented and really like working with my hands (thanks to playing the piano?).
Soo, I am planning on taking the pre-reqs starting next year. I am planning on taking Gen Chem and Physics my 3rd year and OChem and Bio my 4th year. Is this a good idea? (I guess I could do summer courses if necessary.) Oh, and I am planning on retaking that first semester of Gen Chem as well, since it's been a while (over a year and a half) since I've done anything chemistry-related... Plus, I didn't do tooo well in it... As for the DAT, I am also thinking about taking it at the end of my 4th year.
I have no idea if these plans are plausible/advisable. So I would appreciate any input and advice! Especially for someone starting so late. Thanks!
Wow, that was a long post...haha :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking 4th year out of 5 then I don't see a problem with that timeline. Complete the core of the pre-reqs before you take your DAT (bio, chem, o chem, anat, physio, maybe some micro or biochem), rock the DAT at the end of your 4th year and apply. Then you'll interview during the fall semester of your 5th year, get notified of acceptance by christmas, finish your undergraduate degrees and go on to dental school.

sounds like a solid plan methinks

Hi everyone,
I am new here... I've been browsing for a bit and have found a lot of interesting/informational stuff, so it looks like I'll be around more from now on. :p
Anyway, I am currently a 2nd year student at a top school majoring in Math and Piano Performance. I am enrolled in a dual-degree program, which means that I graduate with two bachelor degrees (Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music) but will have to be in undergrad for 5 years. (Schools that offer this include Harvard/New England Conservatory, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, and a few more...if you were wondering.) But anyway, I started college as a pre-med, but absolutely hated my first semester of general chemistry and did not finish off the whole year of chem...haha :smack: But as school went on, I just became more and more confused/lost and lost all motivation...until I gained it back when I became interested in dentistry! I am very detail-oriented and really like working with my hands (thanks to playing the piano?).
Soo, I am planning on taking the pre-reqs starting next year. I am planning on taking Gen Chem and Physics my 3rd year and OChem and Bio my 4th year. Is this a good idea? (I guess I could do summer courses if necessary.) Oh, and I am planning on retaking that first semester of Gen Chem as well, since it's been a while (over a year and a half) since I've done anything chemistry-related... Plus, I didn't do tooo well in it... As for the DAT, I am also thinking about taking it at the end of my 4th year.
I have no idea if these plans are plausible/advisable. So I would appreciate any input and advice! Especially for someone starting so late. Thanks!
Wow, that was a long post...haha :laugh:

Doesn't almost every school offer one to take 2 bachelor degrees?

Your time table should be efficient, remembering biochem and some other classes are the norm for some dental schools

Members don't see this ad :)